Thread: Angular Facade, how would you go about it?

Current Local Time
    03:19 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question Angular Facade, how would you go about it?

I have a project in which I'd like to achieve a very similar facade style as the following image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	522fe4f5e8e44e333b000122_dear-ginza-amano-design-office_portada1-528x792.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	16643
    It's an angular facade with a permeated mesh for a finish. I need to achieve this with a 'random' appearance so that no pattern is visible in the form. Most definitely on struggle street as to the best possible workflow. Ideally this would be an aspect of the design I could change regularly without having to remodel each time.

Kind Regards,

Nathan

P.S: I'm using Revit 2014!

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time
    10:19 PM

Quote Originally Posted by nPoika View Post
    I have a project in which I'd like to achieve a very similar facade style as the following image:

Name:	522fe4f5e8e44e333b000122_dear-ginza-amano-design-office_portada1-528x792.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	16643
    It's an angular facade with a permeated mesh for a finish. I need to achieve this with a 'random' appearance so that no pattern is visible in the form. Most definitely on struggle street as to the best possible workflow. Ideally this would be an aspect of the design I could change regularly without having to remodel each time.

Kind Regards,

Nathan

P.S: I'm using Revit 2014!
    Easy Button: metal panel size and shape randomizer...I wish that there was such a thing but there's not to my knowledge. I've done projects sort of similar to that but not as "weird" and created each panel from scratch using GMs. How would on ever "reuse" a facade like that on another project? If there was to be any pattern to the panels then the massing environment with adaptive component panels would probably be the way to go.

Current Local Time
    05:19 AM

There are two methods to achieve this. Through explicit modeling which you can directly manipulate the vertices or parametric modeling where you can manipulate through changing the parameters. I'll give you a short explanation on the first technique since it's the easiest and most intuitive way to design a facade.

1. open a generic adaptive component family.
    2. place four points forming a rectangular.
    3. select all four points and make them adaptive. (by default they are placements points which is what you want)
    5. Select the reference line tool and connect all four points.
    4. connect a line between point 1 and 3 or point 2 and 4. You will get two triangle shape
    5. select the 3 lines that makes a triangle and select create form
    6. repeat this for the remaining triangle and save family
    7. create a new adaptive family
    8 place points in a grid manner. the amount of points depends on the amount of divisions you want.
    9.make the points adaptive but this time change them to shape handle points. Only the top left and right top and bottom left right points should remain as placement points
    10. insert the previously made adaptive component family and place each adaptive component family on four placement points of the grid.
    11. once you laid everything out, you can place this new family into the project environment.
    12. In the project environment you can tab select shape each handle point and move into the desired place.

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	16644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	16645Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	16646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	16647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	16649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	16650Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	16648

Current Local Time
    01:19 AM

You could use adaptive components and some scripting with Dynamo. Dynamo - Autodesk Vasari

There is a learning curve with both AC and Dynamo but the end results are pretty cool.

Current Local Time
    03:19 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
    There are two methods to achieve this. Through explicit modeling which you can directly manipulate the vertices or parametric modeling where you can manipulate through changing the parameters. I'll give you a short explanation on the first technique since it's the easiest and most intuitive way to design a facade.
    Sorry for the delay in response, have been busy!

Thank you so very much for the response, this is in fact perfect. I would also like to employ this same technique in a different capacity. Another facade comprises of large (irregular) triangles with glazing inside the triangles are to be of varying shapes in sizes (which is where the adaptive component works brilliantly). The only issue is, I want this to wrap around the corner of the building - so it won't be completely coplanar.

I'm looking at very large borders (200mm thick x 600mm deep) and when there is a join that connects the two non coplanar ACs, the frames intersect rather than combine and create an average border at 45 degrees.

I understand why this happens, I would just love to know if there's a way around this.

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks again!