Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question: Good Practices for Model Documentation/Printing

Current Local Time
    10:50 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Newbie Question: Good Practices for Model Documentation/Printing

Hello All!

I would like to ask forum members about good practices on printing model documentation. I have adopted an AGILE methodology for model development (as I am sure many forum members practice): Model - Review - Revise - RepeatManyTimes. To support this framework, I have created a WIP (work in progress) set of artifacts and a PUB (published) set of artifacts. The WIP is very much like a sandbox with lots of annotations, colors, etc... (read that as "ugly"). The PUB artifacts will frequently published for review. The idea is that eventually there will be no more changes to WIP, and PUB will become the model of record.

My question: Is it more effective to create another set of views specifically for printing? (WIP --> PUB --> PRT) I ask because views sometimes need special tweaks in order to be printed correctly. I am thinking of such items as crop region, scale, notes, or object in view. But that will certainly lead to a proliferation of views. I do have a framework for organizing views using custom parameters, so the number of views may not be such an issue.

Is there perhaps a more effective way to prep views to be printed? I will admit that I am still in a CAD mindset, so I may be missing something very basic.

Thank you!

Kate---
    Using Revit 2013

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    05:50 AM

A lot of people have working views, and plotting views. Pretty much for the same reasons you state. I just don't see any need to add a third. I would think the plotting view should also be the one you check.

Current Local Time

Good Morning Dan,

Thank you for your reply. Yeah, another set of views would seem to be excessive. May I ask, how does one handle applying different printing parameters such as crop region or to the plotting views? For example, say I needed to plot one-half of a floor plan on one sheet and the other half on a different sheet. Just create a duplicate of the WIP view and apply the different parameters?

Thanks again!

Kate---
    PS: I found out this weekend that you really CAN kill Revit.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Oh yeah, you can kill Revit. Trust me.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you have a really huge plan and you need to split it up over several sheets? I'd duplicate the floor plan with detailing to create a new floor plan, then duplicate the new one as a dependent (there's 3 types of duplicate when it comes to views: duplicate, duplicate with detailing, and duplicate as a dependent).

Duplicate as dependent for every view you need to put on sheets. For example, if you need to split it up into 4 different plans, then duplicate as a dependent 4 times. You'll see the new views as a sub category of the main view (rather than just another view as with the other 2 duplicate methods).
    Now, just open each one, crop it the way you need it, rename it, etc. etc.

Keep in mind that it is still dependent on the main view. So it will have the same scale (which is why you need to duplicate it the first time). Also, any annotations will show up in the parent view and all of the dependent views. You're just cutting it up into smaller chunks is all.

It's hard to explain in text. Try it and let me know if you have any questions. There's a thread on here about it (because I asked the same question a few years ago).

Here it is.
    Last edited by dzatto; March 3rd, 2014 at 04:46 PM.

Current Local Time

Aha! That process worked really well. I was able to create two dependent views and use crop regions to display the right half of the structure in one view and the left half in the other view. Cool!

Now for something more mundane: If I needed to turn on, say floor finishes in one view and turn them off in the other view, I would not be able to accomplish this using a dependent view because the dependent view would inherit the properties of the parent view, right? In this case, would I need to create a "duplicate with detailing" view?

Kate---

Great thread--thank you for finding it for me.
    Last edited by colokate; March 3rd, 2014 at 05:10 PM.

BIM there, done that cliff collins's Avatar
    Current Local Time

Kate,

You should also investigate View Templates. These are powerful tools to set up a view to display exactly what you need, then you apply it to your view, and other views which need the same settings. Create various View templates for various view types. This also helps you control how views look globally so you get very consistent looking drawings, and spend less time editing individual view(s) and settings.

Current Local Time

Hi Cliff,

I did a quick read about View Templates. I had briefly looked at them before, but I did not realize how useful they could be. Having the capability of very quickly control settings is very powerful and will save boatloads of tweaking time.

Thank you!

Kate---

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time

View Templates, and Templates in general, are a gold mine for efficiency sake. But keep in mind that having different *views* where you intend for some to change and others not to, isnt going to happen... Since the MODEL is going to keep changing. My advice? Archive the model when you want a snapshot of "how things look." Then make only the views you need to be as productive as possible.

If you like working views? Make working views. I dont use themvery much anymore, since there is now a vehicle to Link a View Template to a view, but still make TEMPORARY changes to the view properties. That basically replaced my needs for working views. But a good template and well thought out system that reflects how your firm works, can go a long way. For instance, we have two sets of drawings in our template: Design drawings, and Documentation drawings. And theyre both updating as the project moves forward.

Current Local Time
    06:50 AM

Quote Originally Posted by colokate View Post
    Aha! That process worked really well. I was able to create two dependent views and use crop regions to display the right half of the structure in one view and the left half in the other view. Cool!

Now for something more mundane: If I needed to turn on, say floor finishes in one view and turn them off in the other view, I would not be able to accomplish this using a dependent view because the dependent view would inherit the properties of the parent view, right? In this case, would I need to create a "duplicate with detailing" view?
    Look into using scope boxes as well. Even if it's only a one-floor building it's helpful to keep your views cut to the same place every time. On a multi-floor building they are a life saver. I did a 3-story building that had to be cut into two wings for the plans and it was easily manageable using the scope boxes.

My 0.02 - create different plan types and assign a view template to each one. In the end you will have Dimension Plans, Reference Plans, Finish Plans, Enlarged Plans and so on. Each one will have a different VT assigned and it makes it really easy to control things like floor finishes. Turn them on in the Finish Plan, off in the Dim Plan. I would also do the same for sections & elevations. A building section shows information differently than a wall section, just like an interior elevation will have different information than a building elevation. If each view type has a VT the amount of work you have is simplified because you don't need to set the scale or turn off a category every time you create a new view.

BIM there, done that cliff collins's Avatar
    Current Local Time

Sure thing.

Let us know how your Revit experience and progress goes!