Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2249 USD (90%)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curtain wall panel assemblies

Current Local Time
    11:23 PM

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Curtain wall panel assemblies

Hello,

Our firm is producing wooden/aluminium prefab. curtain wall panels and I need to prepare a shop drawings for one project.
    The way I do it is I make a Parametric a bit complicated curtain wall panel element, and then just assigning it to the grid layout of the project (not using mullions at all).
    But the problem is, when I am trying to make an assembly of single panel I am having troubles of extracting material dimensions, such as cut lengths of beams, width/height of glazing, etc.
    Could someone look into it and see what is wrong with it?? It's driving me crazy...
    Attached Files Attached Files

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time
    02:23 PM

Quote Originally Posted by linas View Post
    Hello,

Our firm is producing wooden/aluminium prefab. curtain wall panels and I need to prepare a shop drawings for one project.
    The way I do it is I make a Parametric a bit complicated curtain wall panel element, and then just assigning it to the grid layout of the project (not using mullions at all).
    But the problem is, when I am trying to make an assembly of single panel I am having troubles of extracting material dimensions, such as cut lengths of beams, width/height of glazing, etc.
    Could someone look into it and see what is wrong with it?? It's driving me crazy...
    well, after a 30 second look your first problem is: it's not a Revit curtain wall, it's a glazed frame built from structural columns with panels created from Other. Nothing that could be scheduled as curtain wall mullions or panels. What's in your family could be easily constructed in a project from curtain wall with custom curtain panels.

Current Local Time

Okay I will give it a try, thank you! But how about curtain panels? Because I will need to take quantities from them also.. Is it normally done by using nested families?

Current Local Time

Okay I will give it a try, thank you! But how about curtain panels? Because I will need to take quantities from them also.. Is it normally done by using nested families?
    can be done with any curtain panels, OOTB or custom in the project. No need to nest anything in a family to get there. View/Create pane/Schedules and select curtain panels. I add parameters to my curtain panels (glass) to aid in sorting and filtering like Glass Type to separate the different types, and IsCorner to identify panels that are at curtain wall corners that need to have their sizes adjusted with formulas. Width and Height parameters are built in OOTB. To get accurate panel sizes you need to make sure that your curtain wall mullion profiles are designed to take into account the correct glass grip dimensions. If you need a simple profile sample let me know.
    Last edited by Dave Jones; January 21st, 2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: changed verbiage

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    can be done with any curtain panels, OOTB or custom in the project. No need to nest anything in a family to get there. View/Create pane/Schedules and select curtain panels. I add parameters to my curtain panels (glass) to aid in sorting and filtering like Glass Type to separate the different types, and IsCorner to identify panels that are at curtain wall corners that need to have their sizes adjusted with formulas. Width and Height parameters are built in OOTB. To get accurate panel sizes you need to make sure that your curtain wall mullion profiles are designed to take into account the correct glass grip dimensions. If you need a simple profile sample let me know.
    Everything is pretty clear here, and I got that far just by reading all your posts about curtain walls :}
    Thing is, that I have to deal with such things as plywood on a back of element (which stands lets say behind two separate glazing) and it has to be continuous, in order to get a right dimension...

Current Local Time

Everything is pretty clear here, and I got that far just by reading all your posts about curtain walls :}
    Thing is, that I have to deal with such things as plywood on a back of element (which stands lets say behind two separate glazing) and it has to be continuous, in order to get a right dimension...
    just create a separate curtain wall system without any mullions and adjust the curtain panel thickness to your required plywood thickness. If appearance is important duplicate a curtain panel type and make it with plywood (I assume that there is a plywood material available) as the material. Then create the new curtain wall right behind the original. The plywood is able to be scheduled for width and height. I do something similar for curtain wall spandrel area backpans.

Current Local Time

just create a separate curtain wall system without any mullions and adjust the curtain panel thickness to your required plywood thickness. If appearance is important duplicate a curtain panel type and make it with plywood (I assume that there is a plywood material available) as the material. Then create the new curtain wall right behind the original. The plywood is able to be scheduled for width and height. I do something similar for curtain wall spandrel area backpans.
    It does not look like a fair solution :o also, if using curtain walls, mullions can't mitter in the corner (from elevation view), so that is just one more "no" for me.
    Anyways, seems I am getting better with my nested curtain panel, just needed to import all parts to it and just make them shared before. Then I can just select each item from curtain panel in project and make an assembly, which gives me all takeoffs that I need. I know this is not the best way to do it and it takes a while to make every little detail, but at least it is working. Do you think this is a bad approach?

Current Local Time

It does not look like a fair solution also, if using curtain walls, mullions can't mitter in the corner (from elevation view), so that is just one more "no" for me.
    Anyways, seems I am getting better with my nested curtain panel, just needed to import all parts to it and just make them shared before. Then I can just select each item from curtain panel in project and make an assembly, which gives me all takeoffs that I need. I know this is not the best way to do it and it takes a while to make every little detail, but at least it is working. Do you think this is a bad approach?
    why can't mullions miter in the corners? The "best way" to do something is the way that works for you and gives you the results that you need. There's far more than one way to skin a cat as the old saying goes.

Current Local Time

why can't mullions miter in the corners? The "best way" to do something is the way that works for you and gives you the results that you need. There's far more than one way to skin a cat as the old saying goes.
    Can they? I am talking about 45 degrees cut from elevation perspective - not plan.. It seems that it only mitters if at least one of the borders is not perpendicular to another.
    Talking about skinning cat - I agree with you. Everything is possible with Revit :}

Current Local Time

Can they? I am talking about 45 degrees cut from elevation perspective - not plan.. It seems that it only mitters if at least one of the borders is not perpendicular to another.
    Talking about skinning cat - I agree with you. Everything is possible with Revit :}
    yeah, in elevation view Revit has some funny ideas about how to miter mullion joints and I spend some amount of time fixing the mess that it makes