Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Computer Questions

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    05:16 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by dzatto; December 26th, 2013 at 02:36 PM.

The Moderator with No Imagination MPwuzhere's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    03:16 PM

Looks like you got everything....AMD processor but an Nvidia vid card huh? Okay. Most folk like keeping everything AMD, but that is a nice card. The only thing I would add if it was my setup is another fan or two. Either at the top of the case or in the side for that video card...probably just get more air in, those two fans on the card might be enough to get the air out through the top and along with that liquid cooled proc. fan is gonna keep the airflow quite nice.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Good point on the video card Didn't even catch that. I forgot AMD makes the ATI cards. Better to keep them the same? Or does it really not matter?

Current Local Time

It's a matter of choice for video cards....you can use either.. And that mobo supports SLI and Crossfire...

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Yep, that's on purpose.
    One question though, I just read that, while SLI links cards together to increase output, you're still stuck with one monitor. Is that still true? The article was written in 2008. Seems pointless to build a gaming system and be stuck with one monitor.

Current Local Time

Yeah, back when SLI was in its infancy it was one monitor....It supports two monitors now, regardless of how many cards you use...since the 8 series I believe. It just needs to be the same gpu....

Current Local Time

Hi Dan, obviously a million more options on the PC hardware side compared to the Mac. A few questions...

How old is he and realistically, what seems to be his tech experience/knowledge? Like, has he been planning this out for months pouring over every tech website he could find, refining his part list over and over again, or is he just a typical kid who wants to play video games and thought it would be fun to build his own rig?

Does he have any high ambitions for overclocking? Would push-button OC be adequate? It looks like the CPU comes with a liquid cooler which is getting into the underworld of overclocking - generally a lot more tinkering required... is that really something he's into (or wants to get into)?

Does he have plans to have an SLI/Crossfire setup (more than one video card) at some point in the near future, understanding that he would need to get an identical video card to the one he's already getting (or buy two new video cards down the road to replace that one)?

Can you provide a maximum budget he needs to stick to?

Just a few initial thoughts...

This system NEEDS an SSD. General system performance will suck being run off a WD Green drive (and I know this first hand). WD Green drives are perfect for huge storage needs, but they are not meant for running an OS and apps off of. It's just crazy to have all these high-end parts and no SSD. Even if it's a relatively low capacity SSD just for the OS and games.

I'm not aware of any reason why a AMD video card would be a better choice to match with an AMD CPU/motherboard. I think there's a tendency/perception that if you're enough of an AMD fanboy to want an AMD CPU, you probably want an AMD (ATI) video card as well. But I don't think there's any advantages or disadvantages that I've heard of to matching or mixing.

That AMD CPU/MB combination would not be my first choice... its got most of its muscle in the wrong place. This was a $900 CPU when it was released last summer, and AMD slashed the price on it by more than 50% when they couldn't sell them (at its current price, it's not a bad deal, but this is widely considered a seriously flawed CPU). Is he particularly set on going the AMD route, or did he just see the huge "5GHz" clock number and think it would be the fastest? Most gaming benchmarks have Intel CPUs over AMD CPUs (in fact, it generally looks like a bloodbath... AMD can barely compete).

The PSU looks a little "cheap". I understand if he wants a tricked out neon lit computer with a side window (boys will be boys), but is the glowing lights on the PSU necessary? I think we could recommend a better PSU for the budget, but it may not have the lights.

With a better sense of max. budget and his preferences/requirements, I think there's some options I (and others here) could suggest.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

MP and IRU, thanks again for the input. Greatly appreciated.

Iru, he's 20 and I don't know the answer to your questions right now. But I'll find out, or have him join RFo and answer for himself. Actually, that's probably not a a bad idea. I'll get him to join.

Current Local Time
    06:16 PM

Quote Originally Posted by iru69 View Post
    I'm not aware of any reason why a AMD video card would be a better choice to match with an AMD CPU/motherboard. I think there's a tendency/perception that if you're enough of an AMD fanboy to want an AMD CPU, you probably want an AMD (ATI) video card as well. But I don't think there's any advantages or disadvantages that I've heard of to matching or mixing.
    I've mixed & matched in the past and didn't run into any issues that I can remember.

Current Local Time