Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2249 USD (90%)

Thread: Shared Parameters or Project Parameters?

Current Local Time
    04:25 PM

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Shared Parameters or Project Parameters?

I have created a boat load of Shared Parameters but I wonder where to draw the line at doing to much of a good thing and turning my firms template into a bloated example of what not to do.

Can anyone provide a Parameter methodology that they employ for their firm?

Chuck

I mistakenly referred to Instance parameters when I meant Shared,...
    Last edited by dzatto; November 7th, 2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: I mistakenly used the term 'Instance Parameter' rather than 'Shared'

Current Local Time
    10:25 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Karl View Post
    I have created a boat load of Shared Parameters but I wonder where to draw the line at doing to much of a good thing and turning my firms template into a bloated example of what not to do.

Can anyone provide a Parameter methodology that they employ for their firm?

Chuck

I mistakenly referred to Instance parameters when I meant Shared,...
    Type is exactly that, a type of family. Typically an instance parameter is used to give different functionality to a single instance of a family type. Your choice should be based on the end use of the parameter.

While this blog post is a few years old it is a very good explanation of the differences and gives real world examples. Take note of what is being said near the end of the post about file size. HTH

Current Local Time
    04:25 PM

Quote Originally Posted by elton williams View Post
    Type is exactly that, a type of family. Typically an instance parameter is used to give different functionality to a single instance of a family type. Your choice should be based on the end use of the parameter.

While this blog post is a few years old it is a very good explanation of the differences and gives real world examples. Take note of what is being said near the end of the post about file size. HTH
    I appologize for the missunderstanding, however, Shared and Project parameters are what I meant to compare

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    08:25 PM

I apologize for the misunderstanding, however, Shared and Project parameters are what I meant to compare
    Project parameters are custom properties that you add to categories in a project, by type or instance. When you create these custom properties, you have two options: either project parameters or shared parameters. Use Shared parameters instead of Project parameters if...

1)... you want those custom properties to be used in tags, (you would need to edit the tag families to add the same shared parameters).
    2)... you want to standardize the definitions of those custom properties through all your projects, using always the same definitions that you define in the shared parameters file.

Both project parameters and shared parameters can be scheduled. If you just want to add a custom property to a schedule, without needing those two points that I mentioned above, simply use the "Add parameter" button and create the property as project parameter.

I hope it helps.

Current Local Time
    01:25 AM

Digging a bit deeper, standard (project & family) parameters are indexed with an 32 bit integer, while shared parameters are indexed with a Guid (that you can see in the SP text file).
    That huge difference is what allows tying those shared parameters from family instances to the main model and the tags without the risk of conflicting with other parameters.
    Appart from that, and with an API perspective, all parameters are the same. Their difference is only its Definition property that can host different classes (InternalDefinition or ExternalDefinition). Try to think of it like a DNA sequence change that triggers different behaviours.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    07:25 PM

Charles,
    I revised the title to "shared" instead of "instance" to help with the search functions of the site. Hope you don't mind.

Current Local Time
    10:25 AM

I appologize for the missunderstanding, however, Shared and Project parameters are what I meant to compare
    Ask a better question, get a better answer