Thread: Errant curtain wall panels

Current Local Time
    04:17 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Errant curtain wall panels

As our current project has progressed the curtain wall panels being used have changed. I'd like to delete the unused types from the project. Most delete fine, but a couple say they are still in use. They do not appear in the curtain panel schedule, in any phase of the project. One of the panels says it is used in 4 places, but select all instances in project only grabs 2, which can't be located. I'm fine with the panels, which I'm not entirely sure exist, being replaced with system panels. The problem with doing this is that we group our curtain walls so they can be used in multiple places on the family, and easily annotated differently. Therefore there are at least two copies of each group in the project, one in an annotation phase. I can't replace panels because it needs to be in a group edit mode to do so, and I can't get the replace panels dialoge when editing the group because I can't delete types in group edit mode. Even when editing the group I know is causing the issue (at least its the one indicated in the error dialog when I try to delete it) "Select all visible in view" is never selectable. Is there any way to pull the element id's or otherwise select panels that don't appear anywhere.

Right now my only option is to ungroup, delete the panels, regroup and then replace the walls on the annotation phase, which usually requires them to be re-dimensioned or tagged. I'm hoping there is a more streamlined/less destructive solution out there.

Current Local Time
    12:17 AM

You could change the "group" into a linked model. Notice when you've selected the group outside of the group editor, there should be a Link button on the modify tab. After that you can open the RVT file and modify the group there (use the Transfer Project standards tool to bring in the other panel types if needed). After you've finished bind the link back to recreate it as a group.

Current Local Time
    04:17 PM

I hadn't thought of trying that way. While it does seem to work in principle, rebinding the link resets the phasing of the group for documentation, which deletes all the associated dimensions and tags for the one on the documentation layer. Since I can sometimes avoid loosing them (depending on the orientation of the wall in the model) using an ungroup/regroup method within the project changing it to a link becomes less efficient.

I wish there was some rationale behind what is creating these ghost panels, that can't be selected or scheduled.