Thread: Custom handrails

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    11:48 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Custom handrails

This is 2 questions, really.
    I've been told and read that the best way to do these handrails (see attached) is with a baluster family. The rails stop at the bottom of the floor (basement ceiling), so they will all be different lengths. I've read up on it and, although I've seen some amazing handrails done this way, I'm still totally clueless how to do it with a baluster family. Any help in getting me started would be awesome!

Second question is about the display rack on top of the stairs. Would that be better as a stand alone generic family that I just place on top of the handrail (or guardrail in this pic), or should I somehow integrate it into the guardrail family? I'm not really sure how to go about that.

Thanks guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Display Shelf.jpg   Handrails.jpg  

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    12:48 AM

About the first question, second picture:
    For the way the rails stop at the top of the ceiling makes me think that this railing should be done as a generic model, since it would be difficult to create a family to do that, and maybe impossible to apply settings in the railing dialog box to do that. If you do this with simple extrusions, as a model, it is very simple. You can draw the shapes in a right or left view and then just extrude it to give it thickness, then mirror it on the other side.

About the second question, first picture:
    Yes, I would do those shelfs as a separate generic model, since in reality it does not have anything to do with a railing, other than being attached to it, in this case.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    About the first question, second picture:
    For the way the rails stop at the top of the ceiling makes me think that this railing should be done as a generic model, since it would be difficult to create a family to do that, and maybe impossible to apply settings in the railing dialog box to do that. If you do this with simple extrusions, as a model, it is very simple. You can draw the shapes in a right or left view and then just extrude it to give it thickness, then mirror it on the other side.

About the second question, first picture:
    Yes, I would do those shelfs as a separate generic model, since in reality it does not have anything to do with a railing, other than being attached to it, in this case.
    You just saved me a ton of time. I could have easily put hours and hours into this, just to realize it's not possible. lol
    This is a dumb question, but if I just do it as a generic family, how do I attach it to the stairs? Or do I just insert it and lock it, that way if I move the stairs, it moves as well?

The good thing is that the finished floor to finished floor height hasn't changed in 20 years. lol

Just thought of this: Is it possible to create a stair in a generic model? That way it gets loaded in the project as one entity? If not, I just realized I could group them. That' s probably the answer, isn't it?

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    12:48 AM

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    You just saved me a ton of time. I could have easily put hours and hours into this, just to realize it's not possible. lol
    As I said in another thread: always think about Time invested vs. Benefit before making the decision to model something. It takes time to create a Revit family, and that time is worthy only if you can reuse that family several times. But how many times are you going to find railings with some shelves on top, like the one on the first picture, or a railing like that one of the second picture? Just some simple extrusions get the job done in a few minutes.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    As I said in another thread: always think about Time invested vs. Benefit before making the decision to model something. It takes time to create a Revit family, and that time is worthy only if you can reuse that family several times. But how many times are you going to find railings with some shelves on top, like the one on the first picture, or a railing like that one of the second picture? Just some simple extrusions get the job done in a few minutes.
    Well, all of my projects have that stair railing and shelving. It's part of our typical building. I need the railing so sections show up correctly, and I can also cut my stair details from them. You set me on the right track. Easy family with some extrusions will do it. Thanks Alf.