Thread: Nested annotations on roof hosted families

Current Local Time
    10:18 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Nested annotations on roof hosted families

Is there any way to keep nested annotations in a roof hosted family parallel to the view, rather than parallel to the roof plane? The nested annotations look fine on a flat roof, but when the family is hosted on a sloped roof they don't show in plan. Keep vertical doesn't work because it keeps the whole family vertical, and I only want the annotations to stay perpendicular to the level, rather than the roof. If I have to I can put the annotations in the project, but I'd prefer not to because it is difficult to keep lengths and placement consistent.

Current Local Time
    09:18 PM

You can but it's some work. This link should point you in the right direction. Andekan ╗ Blog

Current Local Time
    06:18 AM

Use an alway vertical family to keep the annotation flat and put all the 3d stuff in a sub family.
    Put the sub family on a rotating reference line and set the angle with an instance parameter.
    Means you need to measure and fill in the angle whenever you place the family but the annotation will always work.

Current Local Time

I'd rather try nesting the annotation, because that would be easier than trying to set the angle and remembering to set the slope for every roof instance (I'm trying to make a cricket family). Hopefully at some point they will add a feature that allows you to have elements that move with the host and elements that remain horizontal/vertical regardless of the host.

Current Local Time
    06:18 AM

I think you will have the same problem, just that you will be setting the annotation angle instead of the model angle...
    May be possible to use a "Strong Reference" ref line and use Align in a section view to set the angle.

Current Local Time

Unfortunately it seems that it is impossible (as of Revit 2014) to do what I am trying to do, a roof cricket that adjusts to the roof slope with annotations to indicate slope direction.

Why can't we use the project based tag slope? Revit will not let the slope arrow be placed in the right location, it wants to tag the slope parallel to the cricket, we need the arrow to be perpendicular to the edge of the cricket.

The suggestions in this thread do not work. I tried multiple nesting options for the annotations, including those mentioned in this blog post. The annotations won't adapt to a a varied angle. I can't host annotations on a plan whose tilt is modified to match the roof slope in the project. I can not constrain the path of a swept blend, which creates the the cricket, to a reference line without changes in slope breaking the association, therefore preventing "keep vertical" from working

The fact that hosting to face or model elements can not be mixed with model elements and annotations that remain parallel to the view is quite frustrating, and I hope it gets fixed.

Current Local Time
    09:18 PM

From what I've seen and how I work crickets (modified sub elements of floor slabs) the arrow will point at the valley of the cricket if it's been modeled correctly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cricket_example.png  

Current Local Time

We use roofs, not floor slabs for the roof, and using sub elements means you have to calculate the height of each point, rather than just being able to specify the slope. As much as I hate to say it, it is easier to use dumb slope lines and crickets that host to the roof then spend time recalculating slopes if walls move.