Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2249 USD (90%)

Thread: Family Editor changes 2012 - 2014. Constraint to nested family broken.

Current Local Time
    02:05 AM

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Family Editor changes 2012 - 2014. Constraint to nested family broken.

I have a pretty straight forward window family with a single vertical mullion. There is a nested generic model which joins this mullion with the interior partition. This is all done to preserve façade geometry while still adding a dividing wall behind the window. So far so good.

In Revit 2012 and 2013 this generic model is constrained to the same reference plain as the mullion, they follow each other.

In Revit 2014 I can still change the placement graphically(!), but if I change the placement in the types dialogue it breaks with 'Constraints not satisfied'. Naturally it also breaks in a project file.

Anyone else seen this type of behavior? I shudder to think how some of my more complex families with nested objects are going to cope...

Please tell me I've overseen something obvious.

I've attached the 2012 version of this family. Look in plan view and exterior elevation for the parameters which are failing me. Sorry it's all in Danish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-09-11_1955.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Duncan; September 11th, 2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: attached family file

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    08:05 PM

Very interesting. I can confirm that this family works fine in Revit 2012 but not in 2014. That is very strange. I have not read about changes in the family editor in this regard. Maybe one of those updates that are described as "improves stability of... " but don't specify exactly what was changed? Who knows...

Anyway, to fix the family for 2014, try this: use a generic model template to create that nested "mullion", instead of a wall-based template. I made this test, and the problem with the constraints was fixed. However, it is possible that there are still other issues.
    Last edited by Alfredo Medina; September 12th, 2013 at 01:11 AM.

Current Local Time
    12:05 PM

That's scary...I haven't had any problems with families not working since Revit 2008 to 2009 upgrade (would you believe it broke all our curtain wall doors - our clients were not happy)

Current Local Time

Thanks for the help Alfredo, I'm rebuilding the families. Shouldn't have used wall based to start with...

Current Local Time
    01:05 AM

You're not alone,

I'm finding family after family breaks in Revit 2014 when they worked perfectly in Revit 2012 and 2013.

I wish someone could give me a good reason as to why these breaks occur, again normally it is with nested families, but I heavily rely on nesting!

hopefully someone can shed some light on the situation.

Current Local Time

Hi Jimidy, are your problems also with constraints, or something different?

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    07:05 PM

2014 was one of the years that actually broke a decent amount of constraints in families, from what I can tell. Im running some batch Parameter and Material Processing on the entire Bradley library of content (well modeled, but has a crapload of useless parameter garbage in it we don't want), and roughly 50% of the families have to break a constraint to upgrade.

Cost of doing business...

Current Local Time
    07:05 PM

I'm severely late to the party on this one, so I apologize. If I need to start a new thread I can.

I was the "Revit person" for my firm from the time we started using Revit 10 or 11 years ago, until we were absorbed by another firm. I built most of the families we use. By no means are they perfect, but they are only as complicated as they needed to be. I did research and put lots of thought into them, so I would like to think that they were done fairly well. Moving to 2014, we had a lot of plumbing families break. These were not my finest work, admittedly. But they were pretty easy to remake. The only way I had found to fix it at that time was to start a new family and copy/paste what I could and recreate what I couldn't. Now, moving to 2016 (we skipped 15, except in some rare cases and for the purposes of upgrading to 2016), a lot of my casework is breaking. These are fairly complex. Some are fixed simply by performing an audit. But I have one that just won't fix (I have not yet tried recreating it - I really don't want to!). All the families have had the same issue - no error or warning, just some linework that only shows up when loaded in a project file, far away from the family itself. Has anyone else seen this? Image attached. TIA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken Family.JPG