Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2249 USD (90%)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wall location on grid lines ?

Current Local Time
    10:48 PM

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question Wall location on grid lines ?

I´ve been trying to figure out a way to control my exterior wall locations on the grids.

Quite often, the MF of prefab. concrete elements, want all the exterior walls moved just a few mm´s in the last second - So I´ve been trying to figure a way to move all the exterior walls at once... But no luck so far... Have tried with a project parameters, labels/dimensions, even detail components that could be locked to both the wall and grid...

Any suggestions ?

Current Local Time

Hi Munkholm
    if it's a question of mm's, can't you just adjust the thickness of wall's layers?
    And with ref. planes?

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Munkholm View Post
    I´ve been trying to figure out a way to control my exterior wall locations on the grids.

Quite often, the MF of prefab. concrete elements, want all the exterior walls moved just a few mm´s in the last second - So I´ve been trying to figure a way to move all the exterior walls at once... But no luck so far... Have tried with a project parameters, labels/dimensions, even detail components that could be locked to both the wall and grid...

Any suggestions ?
    I worked on one project that had some needs like this, and our approach was...
    1: Make a workset called Wall Control, off be default in all views.
    2: Make a Wall Control plan view, with Wall Control workset on in that view. The only categories on at first are Grids, Ref Planes and Dimensions.
    3: Put Ref Planes on Wall Control workset, and dimension back to grids appropriately.
    4: Turn walls on, and align/lock exterior face of structure to ref planes.

Now, if something needs to move, you can go to this view and revise as many dimensions as needed and in THEORY all the walls will shift and the model will update. In theory. It actually worked pretty well for us. Not perfect, but a couple of changes in exterior wall construction where handled with minimal pain and suffering. In hind sight, I might have actually pinned all the grids and wall control ref planes as well. If there aren't too many of them unpinning before edit isn't the end of the world. And is better than having walls or grids moving around.

Gordon

Current Local Time
    02:48 PM

This may not a sophisticated use of the software, but whenever that has happened to me I have just done an offset of my exterior walls. Using the tab key to select a chain of walls makes it a fast change for me. But most of the projects I have worked on have been pretty simple layouts.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    03:48 PM

Quote Originally Posted by safoulkes View Post
    This may not a sophisticated use of the software, but whenever that has happened to me I have just done an offset of my exterior walls. Using the tab key to select a chain of walls makes it a fast change for me. But most of the projects I have worked on have been pretty simple layouts.
    I was thinking the same thing. lol Munkholm must be working on some intricate stuff.

Say, if you know it's going to be moved a few MM's, just design it that way in the first place!

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    08:48 PM

I'm glad the're more people thinking OFFSET...

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

This brings up an interesting thought:
    Everyone comments about not over modeling in Revit. I guess over constraining or over automating (for lack of a better term) should also be taken into account.

Of course, we don't know exactly what Munkholm is working on. It may be too much of a pain to offset every wall. Think of some of the compelx custom homes out there with a multitude of angles and offsets.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time

I would seriously advise against Offset. When you offset, its making a NEW WALL. An DIFFERENT WALL. Any dimensions, any edit cut profile, any view specific customizations, any join geometries, will be gone.

My method isnt anything super complex, but it works CRAZY fast. You ready?

1. Select all of the walls you want to shift. (For the exercise, lets assume theyre called "Type 1." Set their location line to Interior face (assuming you want them to shift OUT).
    2. Edit/New > Duplicate, call them something temporary (you wont keep this type). Add the "shift" dimensions thickness to the wall.
    3. With the walls still selected, switch the location lines to the EXTERIOR face.
    4. Switch them all back to "Type 1."
    5. Delete the extra wall type.

Current Local Time

If you uncheck the "copy" button in your offset command, does Revit still create a new wall?

Current Local Time

No it keeps your original wall. I make a quick wall with a dimension back to grid of 23' then offset (no copy) 1' and the dim changed to 24'. Offset seems to work just fine and you may be able to tab to a chain of walls and do many at once. (Maybe)