Thread: Revit on consumer (gaming) laptop ------ feedback experience ?

Current Local Time
    09:01 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Revit on consumer (gaming) laptop ------ feedback experience ?

Hi Guys

New to the forum come across it when searching running Revit 2013 /2014 on laptop. Alot of helpful info thanks guys.

I am currently work for a residential building company. and hoping to get more exposure to the drafting (Eventually designing) side of the business.

So i am thinking to myself be a good idea to learn how to run Revit on my free time.

Now i find myself in the market for a gaming laptop. as i will only use for Revit on a part time base i can’t really justify spending the money on a professional workstation. My budget limited me to a mid range gaming laptop with Geforce GTX 6xxm or ATI equivalent. Something like ASUS G75 or MSI ge70.

I am hoping to get some firsthand experience on laptop gaming cards with Revit
    Which gaming laptop do you use?
    Any issues with the graphics card etc

Thanks in advance

Current Local Time
    06:01 PM

Most gaming laptops are more than good enough for small-mid sized Revit projects, and even most larger ones. Plenty of people are using gaming cards, in fact that's what most of us recommend here. Just read through the stickies at the top of this forum and you should be able to pick some specs that fit your budget. Careful assuming that an i7 automatically equals good performance, it's the Ghz that matters.

Current Local Time
    07:01 PM

Quote Originally Posted by need4mospd View Post
    Most gaming laptops are more than good enough for small-mid sized Revit projects, and even most larger ones. Plenty of people are using gaming cards, in fact that's what most of us recommend here. ...
    I hope so! Over the sales tax holiday this past weekend, I made a spontaneous purchase of an Asus G750 at my very least favorite store, Best Buy (gag.) I haven't opened it up yet... I may be having buyer's remorse until I do more research.

Asus 17.3" Laptop 8GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive G750JW-BBI7N05 - Best Buy

Would you have purchased this laptop?

"RFO 2012 Spelling Bee Champion"
    Current Local Time
    04:01 PM

Yes If you don't want to keep it just send it to me. k tnks

Current Local Time
    04:01 PM

If you want a 17" laptop, for the money, you're not going to do much better.

I don't know how much Revit you do, or how big the projects you work on, or whether this is a second computer, but spec-wise, it's a little underwhelming for a brand new laptop.

I wouldn't buy a computer without an SSD. The i7-4700HQ CPU is a little skimpy (but obviously not terrible or anything). 8GB is fine for moderate sized projects, and should be easy to increase if needed. The GPU is great. At 10 lbs, it's monster heavy.

But it all depends on what your needs are. Are you opening up monster size projects or are you just doing light consulting work and project management? Is this mostly for personal use or does your business depend on it? (you don't have to answer those questions for me, but those are the kind of questions that need to be answered to really recommend anything - otherwise it's kind of like saying you bought a Ford F-150 and asking whether that was the right truck to buy)

Let's us know what you decide and how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by LeanneZ View Post
    Would you have purchased this laptop?