Thread: Exporting Revit to gbxml

Current Local Time
    03:17 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exporting Revit to gbxml

I'm wondering if there are any users out there who can help us with a workflow problem.
    I've searched the forums and found very little on gbxml.

I work for a UK based multi D company and we are integrating Revit across the disciplines. Being UK based we tend to use IES for our energy analysis and simulations.
    As part of the architecture team we produce Revit models of virtually all our schemes.

The theory is that we can then export gbxml files to be opened up in IES and the engineers don't have to remodel everything.

We've been working on this for a while and have been getting more successful - but I wouldn't say that we've cracked it yet.

We started with exporting direct from Revit Architecture with the gbxml files being based on rooms. In short this doesn't and will never work. We then developed along the lines of the Autodesk recommended workflow - open a blank MEP file - link the architecture model - make it room bounding - place spaces to match all the rooms in the model and then export those to gbxml. In MEP its possible to preview the output so that you can see to a degree what result you're getting from the export.

This sort of works - but still doesn't get the sort of output we need. One of the keys is setting the top and bottoms of spaces correctly - so that they touch but don't overlap.

One of the recent problems we'v had is where some curtain walling just doesn't go through. See attached files - its in the model but not in the gbxml.

I've been in contact with Autodesk (UK) and as yet have had absolutely no response.
    Has anyone else got any further with this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MEP GBXML2.jpg   MEP GBXML1.jpg  

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    02:17 PM

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but IES does have an export plugin for Revit, you can find it here.
    Otherwise, I have a document lying around here somewhere on the proper use of gbXML for another (dutch) software vendor. I could check this but I am curious to know if you haven't overlooked this plugin?

Current Local Time
    03:17 PM

Quote Originally Posted by mdradvies View Post
    Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but IES does have an export plugin for Revit, you can find it here.
    Otherwise, I have a document lying around here somewhere on the proper use of gbXML for another (dutch) software vendor. I could check this but I am curious to know if you haven't overlooked this plugin?
    Thanks for the quick response but we've had a lot of issues using the IES plugin - a lot of the time it just doesn't want to load in the models we are using even fairly simple ones. I'm not an IES user but I'm told that it also doesn't have the functionality of the full package.

Andy

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    02:17 PM

Ok, I was under the impression that it merely exported the model. I will see if I can find anything (and translate it) in the documentation I have... May take some time though, I'm kind of in the middle of a deadline now.