Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2249 USD (90%)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2011 Add On?

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time
    01:25 PM

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Revit 2011 Add On?

some months ago I downloaded an add on for Revit that included a Freeze View feature that saved a Revit view to an AutoCAD drawing file. It was one of 6 or 7 tools in the add on. I thought that it was an Autodesk download but I can't find it there. Anyone have any idea where I might locate this download?

Current Local Time
    06:25 AM

it was "Extensions for Revit" download from subscription center

Current Local Time
    10:25 PM

Dave, you may also want to look into Save to Project as Image. For most everything I ever consider Freeze View for, Save to Project as Image does better, with a few caveats. The main one being that you have to use 150 dpi right now, as any other resolution results in an image that is not to scale. You also have to deal with the fact that the scale of resulting view is an untruth. It will say Full Scale all the time, but if you use 150 dpi it will in fact be the same scale as the source view. I hope 2012 addresses these issues, but with forewarning you can still make use of the tool now. I use it extensively for a CA management approach, which I will be posting a wrteup on as soon as I can make time to finish it. And which Aaron will promptly shred.

Anyway, I mostly find Freeze View to be problematic, as linking DWGs is bad enough, but I consider inserting them in a Project File to be a horrible idea, and yet here is an officially vetted tool that makes it easy to do a thing we constantly warn users not to ever do. So I look for other solutions, and for most situations an image works for me. If I need to snap to things, I will export to DWG and link, rather than import. I find I need to do that very rarely.

Gordon

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    03:25 PM

LOL, i wont shred it. People find different ways to work that makes them happy.

That said, the Freeze Drawing app in the extensions is a giant steaming pile of disaster, in my opinion. It adds a ridiculous amount of erroneous parameters to every object in the model, it turns the view in to a dead CAD import that DOESNT update anymore (i cant think of a single use case where i want this), the lineweights it exports to CAD with and imports are NOT correct. Plot it, Freeze it, then plot it again. Not the same.

If if was Freeze drawing or PRINT SCREEN, id probably go with print screen. Its that bad.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by mark b View Post
    hmmm, I tried that in the sucky Adesk search and got a bunch of non English language language links...I'll try again

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    LOL, i wont shred it. People find different ways to work that makes them happy.

That said, the Freeze Drawing app in the extensions is a giant steaming pile of disaster, in my opinion. It adds a ridiculous amount of erroneous parameters to every object in the model, it turns the view in to a dead CAD import that DOESNT update anymore (i cant think of a single use case where i want this), the lineweights it exports to CAD with and imports are NOT correct. Plot it, Freeze it, then plot it again. Not the same.

If if was Freeze drawing or PRINT SCREEN, id probably go with print screen. Its that bad.
    I need four building elevations for keying locations of panels. I've got a pdf and a Revit model. My choices are screen shot to graphics file or pdf as underlays and trace the geometry or use Freeze Drawing. For my purposes it has worked great in the past and is WAY faster than dealing with underlays.

Current Local Time

Dave, now I am totally confused. If you have a Revit model, what else do you need? Obviously I am not understanding what you are trying to do. I think my slide effort has turned my brain to mush. And only Tuesday, good lord!

Gordon

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by mark b View Post
    Adesk Subscription search is a total cluster f***. Doing an advanced search with Revit Architecture as the software brings up a list of only 2009 or 2010 versions or All. A search for "Extensions for Revit" using All gets 0 hits. Any other ideas?

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Price View Post
    Dave, now I am totally confused. If you have a Revit model, what else do you need? Obviously I am not understanding what you are trying to do. I think my slide effort has turned my brain to mush. And only Tuesday, good lord!

Gordon
    I need to get the building elevations into AutoCAD for a shop drawing set. I could match the titleblock and print them out of Revit but it's just faster to make a quick View Freeze and use that. I had a hard drive crash a week ago and lost my add on and trying to find it on the Subscription site is driving me bonkers!

Current Local Time

Dave, which version of Revit are you using? I have the extensions for 2009 and 2010, but I didn't bother downloading the 2011 versions because we just don't bother any more. Like Aaron, I find add ons tedious and they have to add some real value to make it worth the effort. Ideates Revit Explorer kind of value.

Also, why not just export the elevation views to DWG, and pull those DWGs into Acad and add the title block?

Gordon
    Last edited by Gordon Price; December 14th, 2010 at 11:51 PM.