Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2174 USD (87%)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bugs I tells ya, bugs!

Current Local Time
    12:59 AM

bugs I tells ya, bugs!

This must be my week for finding silly little buggy things, or at least complaining about them...This strange problem happens quite often, I want to print some sheets by checking 'Selected views/sheets', I send x number of sheets to the printer. However, a seemingly random number of them will have printed twice. And the occurrence of these extra prints is happening randomly too. We have 2 x A3 (different brand) printers and an A0 plotter. This has random extra page printing has happened on both the A3 printers (different brands), from many different Revit projects and not just from my computer. I can't say it's happened on the A0 as we don't actually use it that much. Is it a bug? Is it just me???

WEIRD

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    07:59 AM
    The show setting at the bottom for Sheets and Views does not deselect either in the list above when you uncheck either. If a view or sheet is selected it will print regardless of those choices. Might not be your issue precisely but I have seen it trip up others.

Current Local Time
    I'm pretty diligent with that, actually quite paranoid sometimes (don't waste paper!). But I will keep an eye on that Thanks Steve.

edit...actually on second thoughts, if I had a view selected with 'views' unchecked and it still printed, then it'd be obvious because I'd get prints come through without the title blocks?? I'm getting the same SHEET printed twice.
    Last edited by elton williams; March 14th, 2013 at 06:50 AM.

Current Local Time
    09:59 AM
    I've had the same problem, although I'm usually printing to pdf so it just keeps giving me the warning that it's going to overwrite an existing file. If I use our batchmode pdf writer it just overwrites them without asking so I wouldn't even see it in that case.

Current Local Time
    I had the same problem (except it was THREE copies) on our Oce plotter.
    Filed a Support Request with Autodesk and their only response was "Are your printer drivers up to date?"

Then it happened a couple of days later on a Cannon printer.

Current Local Time
    08:59 AM
    We had the same problem (only double-prints for us). We weren't able to nail down a specific cause, but that machine had the same printer drivers and settings as every other machine, and it only happens when printing from Revit (not from any other programs, Autodesk or otherwise), so it has to be a Revit bug.

It's not exactly a reproducible behavior, at least not as far as I've been able to find. I do have a few theories, but feel free to poke holes in any of them, because I can't verify that any are the cause:

• Printing multiple sheets to a single/combined PDF after having printed multiple hard copies (whether from the same file or a different file) without first starting a new session of Revit. When you do this, you'll see that even though you're printing a single combined PDF file, the number of copies count box will still show a number greater than 1 (even though it's grayed out). The next time you go to print hard copies (still in the same session of Revit), it prints double (but only of some sheets). This didn't consistently cause the problem, but it's odd behavior nonetheless.
    • Not having a sheet that's being printed active when printing (i.e. being in a plan view when printing only sheets). Again, not reproducible, just a theory.
    • Not having clicked in the active window (i.e. having last clicked in the project browser or properties palette before printing).Again, not reproducible, just a theory.

So there you have it. A long list of things that it might be, or it could be something completely different. It doesn't seem to affect just one file, but it does seem to be machine specific, so maybe replacing the uistate or the ini file would fix it, but I haven't had time to test that. Maybe a fresh install/repair would fix it. Restarting Revit seems to fix it, at least for a while, before it comes back.

Sorry about the novel.

Current Local Time
    This happens because you have sheets open with view which have been activated, but not de-activated on the sheets. If you notice on the prints one print is normal, like a sheet, the second has everything but the view ghosted. Be diligent about de-activating views when you print, that will fix this. I can reproduce this every time. Test it if you want: open a sheet view, print it. You only get one print. Go to that same sheet view, activate a view, print the sheet with the view active. You get 2 prints.

Current Local Time
    I'll pass that on to the user & see if that's their issue.

I wish Activate View would act more like Temporary Override. I can't think of any reason you'd ever need to plot or save your project with Activate View on.
    Just like Temporary Hide/Isolate, Activate View should go away when you Print, Close the View, or Exit Revit.

Current Local Time
    Carl, I'm not saying you're wrong, your scenario sounds quite feasible.
    However that's not the cause in my case.
    I checked through the Journal file, and the last command just before the print was - you guessed it - Deactivate View.
    So there may be another root cause for this problem.

Current Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by revittotd View Post
    This happens because you have sheets open with view which have been activated, but not de-activated on the sheets. If you notice on the prints one print is normal, like a sheet, the second has everything but the view ghosted. Be diligent about de-activating views when you print, that will fix this. I can reproduce this every time. Test it if you want: open a sheet view, print it. You only get one print. Go to that same sheet view, activate a view, print the sheet with the view active. You get 2 prints.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Carl, I'm not saying you're wrong, your scenario sounds quite feasible.
    However that's not the cause in my case.
    I checked through the Journal file, and the last command just before the print was - you guessed it - Deactivate View.
    So there may be another root cause for this problem.

Id have to agree with Dave, sorry Carl maybe what you describe is repeatable behaviour, but my issue has also proven otherwise here. Btw, through further testing I've just realised that printing a sheet with an active view DOESN'T grey out everything else anymore (for me anyway). I don't know how long it's been this way but it sure used to do that.

Thanks for everyones comments, now i know I'm not going crazy. I asked my structural guy and he said he never gets this problem, yet other arch drafters say it happens to them too. Views open, closed, active or whatever, revit should know better. I'm calling it a bug!