Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2249 USD (90%)

Thread: Design Review Tutorial

Current Local Time
    05:14 PM

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Post Design Review Tutorial

Hey all,

I have threatened for a while, and finally, here is part one Design Review (ADR) training for 2D markup & measure.

The .zip file attached contains the registry tweaks required to use .pdf files as vectors in ADR. The registry tweak is the addition of 1 DWORD. If you want to remove it, open the .reg file in a text editor, which will show you where the registry entry is located. use regedit to delete this entry and ADR will rasterise pdf files as they open.

Please be as brutal as you like with criticism as improvements benefit us all! Just remember, I just debranded it, without time to make sure it still makes sense without a teacher...
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time
    06:14 AM

Good work Tim - going to test out the regedit tomorrow at work, and if you're cool with it, put the .pdf in our "Guidance By Others" area.

One thing I do note, (and perhaps this isn't the thread but I don't think we need a fourth ADR thread in as many days) your example uses a multi-page .dwf, but because of our use of EDMS, we only ever create single-sheet .dwfs, (which I imagine is still the more common workflow for document control considerations) so I was wondering if there's any functionality "lost" in doing so - or if there's anything you might you want to caveat in your guide relating to it.

Current Local Time
    05:14 PM

Hey Snowy,

The main functionality lost when publishing individual sheets in the loss of live links. When you publish a multi-sheet set from revit, each link remains live. Level heads, sections, callouts, elevations, etc. (any marker that is blue in vanilla revit) are a <ctrl>-click away from the referenced view.

My Notes only briefly touch on multi-page dwf, as I was focusing on lower hanging fruit and gently introducing the company to useful tools. So all of the info is still relevant.

FYI the regedit is inspired by a post from and autodesk discussion thread found here. I often wonder how many other gems are hidden through a lack of documentation...

EDIT:
    Please put the pdf into "guidance by others", though maybe some feedback (and some work on my part) can make it a little more useful first...
    Quote Originally Posted by snowyweston View Post
    and perhaps this isn't the thread but I don't think we need a fourth ADR thread in as many days
    I think you will find that the reason all 4 ADR posts are at the top of the list is due to me adding a plug to this thread to each of them. :-)
    Last edited by Tim West; January 9th, 2013 at 08:46 PM.

Current Local Time
    06:14 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Tim West View Post
    I think you will find that the reason all 4 ADR posts are at the top of the list is due to me adding a plug to this thread to each of them. :-)
    Ingenius. I might go back and do that with all my Navisworks and Revit Server threads!

EDIT
    So I thought I'd left this be till tomorrow but it's really bugging me.... how do you use multi-page .dwfs? Not as in, how do you create, share and use them.... how do you "issue" them? By package? By stage? The whole drawing set at once? Or just as draft releases "for information"? I'm interested in the actual practice of using them for documentation - because clearly live-links are a godsend (not to put deity status on Autodesk mind) and it'd save a whole lot of (even digital) paperwork...
    Last edited by snowyweston; January 9th, 2013 at 10:05 PM.

Forum Addict
    Current Local Time
    03:14 PM

Great work Tim!

It probably goes without saying for most people, but you will need to close and re-open ADR after merging the .reg (your PDF states this anyway).