Thread: Custom/Standard Doors in Curtain Walls?

Current Local Time
    05:39 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Custom/Standard Doors in Curtain Walls?

Apologies, I know that this is a topic that has been discussed multiple times on multiple forums - but we've finally gotten around to creating standard content in our firm that correspond appropriately with our standard schedules and I am trying to get some feedback on "best practices" on how to create standard doors for curtain walls.

Basically, this is what I would like to find out - are you creating nested panels (in the door category) that you are using in the Curtain Panel template to create your doors?

My biggest issue is that I would like my door (in a curtain wall) to not flex as my grids/mullions are moved. I would like "idiot-proof" this process so we don't end up with doors in our schedule as width= 3' 1/128" I know that there are a few ways around that; I just want to know what other folks are doing.

Also, I followed Aaron's blog post here which, of course, was very informative - but I don't think it covered curtain wall doors explicitly.

http://malleristicrevitation.blogspo...ard-doors.html

Any feedback would be much appreciated

Natasha

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    04:39 AM

Hey Natasha-

Sorry i never directly addressed the post. Things have been crazy busy for me lately!

Re: Curtain Walls, we do exactly as you have suggested: We have a Curtain Panel (Door) that has nested panels in it. Furthermore, we have all of our door sizes by Instance, which makes Curtain Wall doors all the more interesting. It means that the curtain panel size (by grid lines) flexes INDEPENDENTLY from the door size (which is by instance, in the doors properties).

This does- of course- afford everyone the opportunity to screw up the doors, since for the model to be correct you still have to get both the door and the curtain grid correctly... But it eliminates the goofiness in the door schedule when someone screws up a curtain grid, since the door itself doesnt flex.

The Curtain Wall doors have reporting parameters in them to tell them "how off" the curtian grids are, to help in correcting the Curtain Grids. Since so many people have asked, ive uploaded our Door Library so you can reverse engineer them.

http://www.aaronmaller.com/BeckFiles/Doors.zip

Have fun, and good luck!

Current Local Time
    05:39 AM

Hey Aaron, Thanks for responding. I was trying to get a cross section of opinions on how folks make curtains doors.

I think you are right - we should make our doors independent of grids. More opportunity for goof ups certainly but in this case atleast it will be a "user-created" error versus a "Revit messes things up" error - and I can always re-train users

I didn't think to use reporting parameters in that capacity (I am using them in my wall hosted doors) I am going to play with your door family and see where I get.

Thanks again!
    Natasha

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    09:39 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Hey Natasha-

Sorry i never directly addressed the post. Things have been crazy busy for me lately!

Re: Curtain Walls, we do exactly as you have suggested: We have a Curtain Panel (Door) that has nested panels in it. Furthermore, we have all of our door sizes by Instance, which makes Curtain Wall doors all the more interesting. It means that the curtain panel size (by grid lines) flexes INDEPENDENTLY from the door size (which is by instance, in the doors properties).

This does- of course- afford everyone the opportunity to screw up the doors, since for the model to be correct you still have to get both the door and the curtain grid correctly... But it eliminates the goofiness in the door schedule when someone screws up a curtain grid, since the door itself doesnt flex.

The Curtain Wall doors have reporting parameters in them to tell them "how off" the curtian grids are, to help in correcting the Curtain Grids. Since so many people have asked, ive uploaded our Door Library so you can reverse engineer them.

http://www.aaronmaller.com/BeckFiles/Doors.zip

Have fun, and good luck!
    wohooooo... finally all the nagging paid off! There goes my workschedule for this week. I'm looking forward to digging into these.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    04:39 AM

Theyre not as perfect as id like them to be. I keepa running list of things that are supposed to change in our Doors, that i just havent gotten too.

1. Some of the Panels with Glass have extrusions, and some dont. Thats a stop gap we needed on a project here or there, because were working on implementing some sort of Shared Family glazing situation, to more accurately reflect how glazing works.

2. The same is true for Hardware, so right now its not there. It will be shortly, though.

3. Clear Accessibility modeled geometry around the doors, coming in the next round.

What really sucks, is the reason i had them at home to upload them: Since redoing the offices material library, right AFTER i uploaded them i went in to each and every family and deleted the erroneous Fill Patterns, and Materials, so now they dont bring on all the ****** Autodesk stock crap, in to projects.

But i guess i had to leave something for you guys to do. =)