Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on curtain wall panels

Current Local Time
    10:19 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Need advice on curtain wall panels

Hi, I'm trying to create a curtain panel system in which all of the panels are the same size. There are several panel types, each with a specific pattern of punched openings/windows.

My 1st thought is to use a curtain wall system so that I can easily change the size of all the panels and manipulate the joint between the panels later on. However, I'm having a hard time inserting windows into the custom panel that I've made. Revit will not let me insert standard window or door families. I also tried loading the curtain wall door family into my curtain panel family to insert it, but got the following message "while loading curtain wall-Store-Front-Dbl'" Curtain wall panels may not be loaded into a family." Is there a way of nesting a window family inside a curtain wall panel? Maybe a custom curtain wall panel is not the way to go? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Current Local Time
    09:19 AM

Is it for precast walls? read my post here, it may give you some idea
    http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...html#post70100

For the windows and doors (openings) part I just go to an elevation view and divide the grid to a door/window size pattern... then choose a door or window which should be curtain wall based family category ... in my case I have no geometry in doors/windows, even got some reporting parameters inside the doors and windows, and when there is a new project you should create different doors and windows to look proper in elevations. I do it by just importing 2D doors windows drawings from CAD and aligning it in an elevation view of my family (curtain wall based), so that later when loaded into the project they will be displayed exactly the way as consultant designed doors and windows.
    Last edited by spotless; November 20th, 2012 at 10:05 AM. Reason: add

Current Local Time
    04:19 PM

You can place 'System' doors and windows in a curtain system.
    1. Select the panel you want to place one in
    2. Click the type selector, and pick a wall type (not curtain panel)
    3. Place your window/door as usual.

This is not an ideal workflow, though can work as you require.
    Last edited by Tim West; November 28th, 2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Typeo

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by spotless View Post
    Is it for precast walls? read my post here, it may give you some idea
    http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...html#post70100

For the windows and doors (openings) part I just go to an elevation view and divide the grid to a door/window size pattern... then choose a door or window which should be curtain wall based family category ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim West View Post
    You can place 'System' doors and windows in a curtain system.
    1. Select the panel you want to place one in
    2. Click the type selector, and pick a wall type (not curtain panel)
    3. Place your window/door as usual.

This is not an idea workflow, though can work as you require.
    Thanks both for your reply. Yes, it is a precast panel curtain wall system. I didn't want to divide the curtain panel grid further since I wanted to be able to control the size of the windows as a parameter in a family. Each different panel type would be a different type with its associated pattern of punched out windows. For the same reason, I used a curtain panel instead of wall types because I couldn't figure out a way to control the location and size of windows within wall panel as I could with a loadable family.

What I ended up doing is to create void extrusions within the panel and physically drawing in the window frame and glass. I can control the sizes of the windows with dimension parameters. So far it seems to work okay, hopefully there won't be problems later down the road.

Current Local Time
    04:19 AM

Hi. If I follow you correctly I also had the same problem. You need to edit the curtain wall and duplicate it. Then whichever level you have selected you can add it into the wall (first you need a wall to place it in). Please see the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curtainwall.jpg  

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    12:19 AM

Quote Originally Posted by jgu View Post
    ...What I ended up doing is to create void extrusions within the panel and physically drawing in the window frame and glass. I can control the sizes of the windows with dimension parameters. So far it seems to work okay, hopefully there won't be problems later down the road.
    Oh, you're putting a lot of extra work on your shoulders, then! I would have suggested the same workflow that Tim West suggested. That's simple and efficient. Windows can still be moved easily within the wall, and they still respond to parameters for sill height, head height, type, size, etc, and can still be scheduled as windows.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Oh, you're putting a lot of extra work on your shoulders, then! I would have suggested the same workflow that Tim West suggested. That's simple and efficient. Windows can still be moved easily within the wall, and they still respond to parameters for sill height, head height, type, size, etc, and can still be scheduled as windows.
    If I use system walls with standard windows to infill my curtain wall, is there a way to replicate any changes within one wall panel across all instances of that panel? Just to test, I did as suggested and then created an assembly of the wall panel and the windows within it. But I can't find a way to insert that same wall panel assembly into other parts of my curtain wall system. I don't know if I described the problem clearly so attached is a quick sketch illustrating the design intent of the panels. As the image shows, the panels themselves are more or less the same size, with one taller and one shorter row staggered on top of each other. For each "type" of panel (type is differentiated by arrangement and size of windows within each panel), I've given it a different color. Now in the actual project, there are hundreds of panels and more than 20 different panel "types". The panels are arranged in a somewhat disorderly fashion (I guess the designer is trying maximize the randomness). What I'd like to do is to be able to change the size and location of one panel and have the changes be updated in all other instances of this panel.

later down the road, I will probably want to be able to schedule the panels and I'm not sure I can do that with the wall infill. I also noticed that the windows placed within the panels don't have too much relationship with the panels themselves. If the panel moves slightly for example, the window does not move with it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sketch.JPG  

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    12:19 AM

Now that you have provided more information, and an image, my comment is different : I think you are on the right track with this approach. Curtain wall panel families with parameters to adjust the windows is a good approach. If you want to schedule not only the panel types, but also the windows, create window families that begin from a generic template, make them shared, and nest them into the curtain wall panel families. Now you can make a schedule of panel types, and a schedule of windows, if necessary.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Now that you have provided more information, and an image, my comment is different : I think you are on the right track with this approach. Curtain wall panel families with parameters to adjust the windows is a good approach. If you want to schedule not only the panel types, but also the windows, create window families that begin from a generic template, make them shared, and nest them into the curtain wall panel families. Now you can make a schedule of panel types, and a schedule of windows, if necessary.
    Thanks for the tip Alfredo. After a brief hiatus, I'm back in tacking this problem. My previous approach was to insert voids and draw the windows within the panels, but as you suggested, I would like to insert the windows them as a nested family. However, I'm a little stuck as to how to create a non-hosted window from scratch.

I started with a the generic template this time as you suggested and then changed the family type to windows (also clicked shared and cut with voids when loaded option) and created my window frame with the glazing inside. I'd like to be able to insert the window into the panel family and automatically cut out a hole, but that did not happen. The window simply co-exists with the wall. I also tried an approach where I 1st made an extrusion with a void in it. I then created the window within the void and deleted the original extrusion. This also did not work. Is there a way the non-hosted window can automatically cut out a hole in the panel or would I need to void out the window separately in the panel family?

Current Local Time
    04:19 PM

If you use a 'Generic Model Face-based' Family for your window.
    Add a void and use the 'Cut Geometry' tool to cut the placeholder face.
    It will automatically cut the panel when loaded into the Curtain Panel family.
    Last edited by Tim West; November 28th, 2012 at 11:51 PM.