Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2174 USD (87%)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: annotation too big when resizing scale

Current Local Time
    04:34 PM

annotation too big when resizing scale

hi, I've created a sheet for my plan views and I've dragged all my plans onto this sheet.
    I've changed the view scale from 1:100 to 1:500, but now the annotation doesn't seem to resize... it looks like it's still as big as it was when the scale was 1:100... how can I fix this?

thanks,

niels

Current Local Time
    Annotations are, well... Annotative, meaning that they scale by view scale to always be the same size on the sheets regardless of the view scales.

If you really want different sizes, you´ll have to open each of the annotations in the family editor, change the size of the text etc., rename it, and load it into the project, then chose the new one on the views matching the scale...

Don´t really get why it´s a problem though

Annotations should be the same size at all times IMHO.

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    10:34 AM
    I have always thought that whoever set up the default symbols for Revit made them a little too big. Like the section marks and the level symbols. I usually modified these symbols to be 75% of the original size. Also, for text height I usually create a "2.4" mm. type, which is the equivalent of 3/32".

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    02:34 PM
    Like Munkholm stated: it's supposed to act this way.
    But you don't have to open all annotations in the family editor. Just select one, edit type and duplicate. Then you can assign new values to the sizes. Finish, select the rest using the right mouse button and choose "select all in view". Then assign the newly created type and you're done.

Current Local Time

Revit Annotations in different scales.

Is there any way to duplicate the type of the annotation when it is connected to an element?
    For instance, I am doing fire alarm plans and need to show the devices at 1/8 and 1/16 scale. but the annotations for the device elements at 1/16 are too big. Since the annotation is part of the element, if i duplicate the type, it will change it at 1/8 scale too, so im a little confused at how to keep it the same size at different scales?

New to the forum, thanks for the help.

-Mike S.

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSansoni View Post
    Is there any way to duplicate the type of the annotation when it is connected to an element?
    For instance, I am doing fire alarm plans and need to show the devices at 1/8 and 1/16 scale. but the annotations for the device elements at 1/16 are too big. Since the annotation is part of the element, if i duplicate the type, it will change it at 1/8 scale too, so im a little confused at how to keep it the same size at different scales?

New to the forum, thanks for the help.

-Mike S.
    Do you have an annotation built in the actual family file? If that's the case you need to work with object styles. Make one that fits your needs on scale A. Duplicate, resize to fit for scale B. Create 2 seperate object styles for both scales and place the annotations in them.
    In your project you can assign one object style to a view with a certain scale and the other to another scale. You can do this in the Visibility Settings by hand or by creating a View Filter.

If you have an annotation to place in the model, you can create different types. Open the Annotation in the Family Editor, duplicate the Label, resize to the scale you need and use type visibility parameters for different types.

Current Local Time
    I think annotation should have the option to scale. Just think about it; you have a 1:100 DD drawing annotated and want to use these same annotations for CD but in scale 1:50. Now you have to move and modify all the annotation to get it to show the correct size and placement. This is also a problem with drafting fill patterns. I'd rather have a drafting pattern that acts like model patterns.

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post
    I think annotation should have the option to scale. Just think about it; you have a 1:100 DD drawing annotated and want to use these same annotations for CD but in scale 1:50. Now you have to move and modify all the annotation to get it to show the correct size and placement. This is also a problem with drafting fill patterns. I'd rather have a drafting pattern that acts like model patterns.
    I'm not following... The drafting pattern does scale so that the lines remain at the same relative distance from each other.
    As for the Annotations, well you need to set these up in your project. It's a one time thing I guess... I wouldn't want the thing to scale, that would mean that an annotation that is readable on 1:50 becomes useless when used in a 1:100 view.
    Last edited by mdradvies; May 11th, 2011 at 10:04 AM.

Current Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by mdradvies View Post
    As for the Annotations, well you need to set these up in your project. It's a one time thing I guess...
    I don`t think i understand. If you have annotated a 1:50 plan and then want it annotated to 1:100 you duplicate with detail the first one. Than you change the scale. Then you select (with select current view all) every type at annotation and change the type with the 1:100 version, but.....usually you have to reposition a lot of them. Dimensions too (if you have a smaller text dimension). So how is it possible in one step? (" It's a one time thing I guess")
    Last edited by gaby424; May 11th, 2011 at 05:35 PM.

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    I meant a one time thing each view. You can't have it change automatically or relocate itself...