Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Practices When Modeling In Revit

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    03:35 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Best Practices When Modeling In Revit

I was searching the knowledgebase and found this. I thought it might be of some use to the new guys, such as myself.

The following is a list of best practices to use when modeling:

■Try to limit the use of joining geometry.
    ■Do not over constrain objects. Try to keep constraints to a minimum. This will help keep “Can’t keep joined” errors to a minimum when moving objects. This may also help prevent workset ownership issues where a user may unknowingly take editability for an object.
    ■Minimize view depth, if possible, in elevation, plan, and section views. In addition, use section boxes when working in 3D views.
    ■Groups are heavier than families. You can use an array to copy and associate objects together. However, after the array is complete, you can ungroup the arrayed objects to increase performance by removing the parametric associations of the copied objects. You can also clear the Copy and Associate check box when creating the array.
    ■Close unnecessary windows. When working in a 3D view, most of the file is placed into RAM. It is also strongly recommended that you close these views when saving to a central file, because these views are regenerated as part of the process. It is best to save a 3D view with minimal visibility and then copy it to create new views faster.
    ■Avoid opening additional views, if possible. It is better to not open a view at all rather than opening one and then closing it, as not all memory is reclaimed when you close a view.
    ■Turn off shadows in most views. (Turn off shadows when printing views if not absolutely necessary.)
    ■When making significant changes to a project (for example, moving a level or making major geometry changes) it is strongly recommended that you perform these operations when no other users are working on the file and they have relinquished all elements. Then have user make new local files.
    ■Using the Paste Aligned command in a closed view actually opens the view (which takes time) and then closes it. If you want to paste several times in a view, open it first.
    ■Limit the use of rooms in design options, as additional time is spent detecting room option conflicts. Use separate models for variations of the whole wing with rooms.

Current Local Time
    02:35 AM

I feel that the view depth is a huge thing to help speed out. Another I have been doing much more lately is using visibility graphics to really control more than just what I see. I look at my view and go through both model and annotation and thing to my self "Ok for this view I really only need to see walls, rebar, lines, columns, and detail items" and from that I shut everything else off.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time

Id be really careful with a lot of that advice. That advice looks a lot like the stuff in the Model Guidelines by Autodesk: They seem to favor computer performance over all other things, even when the *other things* serve the underlying goal: The PROJECT.

Join Geometry? I use it a ton. Considering i build all of my exterior walls as two walls joined together, and then i do that for every finish in every room, im pretty comfortable saying this isnt a problem. I have some MASSIVE central files here that perform wonderfully with this.

Do not over constrain? I mean, i can make a case for not locking things that arent necessary, but im not going to endorse a workflow that generally. Do you want the windows equally spaced? Constrain them. No? Dont.

View depth, and keeping windows closed when not necessary are definetely good points. Some folks here have (literally) 20 windows opened from a 300 MB central model, and they dont know why its doggy slow. LOL.

Groups vs families- If you are using them correctly, theyre for entirely different things. If you use them interchangably, youre doing it wrong. Since thats the case, you CANT use a family instead of a group, if its something that needs to be grouped. No brainer. And again, i have models with HUNDREDS of groups. No performance hit.

Rooms in Design options- Okay, the WORST thing you can do is use Design Options and leave the rooms out. THEN, the rooms and their bounding elements are in different options. Thats an IMMEDIATE disaster. And doing a save as is all good and well... As long as your project goes on hold while you wait for an answer. Design Options are necessary, and so are Rooms in Design Options. And when done correctly, they work fine.

But the view range and multiple views stuff, im totally on board with!

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time
    01:35 AM

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    I was searching the knowledgebase and found this. I thought it might be of some use to the new guys, such as myself.

The following is a list of best practices to use when modeling:
    ignore all of that Adesk bs. Buy a big bad computer with mega RAM and whistle while you work

Current Local Time
    02:35 AM

A big bad computer.... A mother board with 4 I7 Quads running on it and its maxed 32gb of RAM, 2+ TB HDD Space, Multiple Graphic Cards with Crossfire...think I just hit $2000+ and dont have a powersupply, monitor, or case yet...

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Well damn! I guess I'll keep my mouth shut next time.

Unfortunately, some of us work in small firms and shops where we can't just go get another machine. You get what you get and you make the best of it.

I just stumbled upon the list and figured it would be a good post for the new guys. Maybe not? Like Aaron pointed out, there's at least a few good points in there.

Implement at your own risk!

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gdoherty0102 View Post
    A big bad computer.... A mother board with 4 I7 Quads running on it and its maxed 32gb of RAM, 2+ TB HDD Space, Multiple Graphic Cards with Crossfire...think I just hit $2000+ and dont have a powersupply, monitor, or case yet...
    I remember when a 286 with a math coprocessor to be able to run Acad was $5k + and that's 1990 money. Computers are cheap these days...

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Well damn! I guess I'll keep my mouth shut next time.

Unfortunately, some of us work in small firms and shops where we can't just go get another machine. You get what you get and you make the best of it.

I just stumbled upon the list and figured it would be a good post for the new guys. Maybe not? Like Aaron pointed out, there's at least a few good points in there.

Implement at your own risk!
    don't get your panties in a bunch, I was just jazzin' ya. Cripes, it was 5:07pm and beer thirty and I was a little antsy :-P

"RFO 2012 Spelling Bee Champion"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by gdoherty0102 View Post
    Just buy my computer
    http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=15736272
    Last edited by Alex Cunningham; March 24th, 2011 at 04:08 PM.

Current Local Time
    04:35 AM

Wishlist is empty