Resultados 1 a 10 de 27

Tópico: No more AutoCAD? Really?

Data de Ingresso
    August 30, 2012
    Hora local atual
    12:57 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

No more AutoCAD? Really?

I was informed friday that the firm I work for decided to take away AutoCAD for everybody in the architectural department. This is a hard pill to swallow for me becuase I still use CAD in so many ways. Belive me I am 100% Revit and would never even think about starting a project in CAD, but there are still some very ligitamate uses for CAD that I dont think the big wigs who think we magically push a button and the drawings are finished understand. Below is an excerpt from the email I wrote my director regarding what I use CAD for...

Things I use CAD for…

1. Exporting Revit to CAD. When sending CAD files to clients and consultants I like to remove our title block and other information that is not pertinent to what they will be using the file for. Sometimes their requests don’t warrant a full CAD file with all of our Revit information. I then save the “stripped down” file before sending. I would not be able to do this without CAD.
    2. I like to look at old projects we’ve done in CAD to get examples of how the building was built, I then use that information to complete my drawing in Revit.
    3. We use Civil files to develop our Arch site plans. They always send CAD. If I don’t have CAD I can’t get our arch site plan together. Scaling the file up, purging things I don’t want to see in Revit and so on…
    4. I like to create a Topo surface from civil files. This is a big help when trying to understand the site and also doing quality renderings with a site that is close to how the site will be in real life. This requires that I delete and purge a lot of information from the civil file to get the topo lines I need to create a surface. I also have to move things around and get things on the right elevation because often the topo lines are not at the same elevation as the site they draw.
    5. I recently did a project where I had to take CAD drawings from another firm and plug it in to Revit so we could do an interior build out for a Doctor’s office. Having CAD files to work from was very helpful in building my model.

I could go on and on about how CAD is still a helpful tool in an architectural office. I think this is a big deal not having CAD available as a tool anytime Ineed it. In my opinion a LT version of the software would be sufficient enough for what we use it for. SO what is the rest of the world doing in your office? I may be operating in a bubble here but I think it is still very important to have CAD as a tool. Has anyone else gone through this change or how do you get by without CAD? What do the PRO's have to say? Thank you for your input I apriciate it.

Última edição por Cycle Man; September 30th, 2012 às 08:52 PM.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Data de Ingresso
    December 9, 2010
    Hora local atual

I would have to agree. I do almost everything on your list on a daily basis, especially the first 3. I'm sure others will disagree, but I think you need to push the issue and make them realize that taking away Acad would put a serious dent in you work flow. Even if you only needed it for 1 thing that you do daily, like cleaning up the civil dwg's, it's worth keeping it on the machines. Especially if you are using a design suite. You get the program anyway, why not load it up?

Moderator Avatar de cellophane
    Data de Ingresso
    August 9, 2011
    Hora local atual
    01:57 AM

I agree 100%. As much as I want to uninstall CAD to get people to use Revit instead here I know it would be a terrible idea for every reason you listed and probably a host of others. A lot of subs still use CAD and getting their information into Revit without a way to clean it up would be a disaster. I can't tell you how many files I've seen both in our office and from subs that have fifteen million different plan variations, crap copied in from other jobs that is off to the side, drawings that are just incorrect and on and on. Not to mention that a lot of manufacturers don't have Revit content yet so the only way to get their information is through CAD. A PDF cut-sheet doesn't always have the information needed to make a family...

I would push to keep a full install rather than LT. LT doesn't support LISP or VLX or Express Tools. There are a TON of useful scripts to clean up files that would be useless.

Forum Co-Founder Avatar de Twiceroadsfool
    Data de Ingresso
    December 7, 2010
    Hora local atual

Its handy to have, but i go weeks at a time without opening it at all. I wouldnt have an issue if they took it away from us here, but i know a lof ot other people would.

Perhaps you should ask WHY they are taking it away, and see if there is an alternative method for doing what you need? For instance: If its a subscription and cost thing (if you had JUST the Revit+CAD suite from back in the day, its no longer available, which means you are paying more, or not getting CAD anymore, on new subscriptions) then maybe a sufficient option is a DWG editor that ISNT AutoCAD, that will let you do what you need? There are a few out there.

"Mark Twain"
    Data de Ingresso
    December 16, 2010
    Hora local atual
    05:57 AM

I'm somwhere in the middle here. Like Aaron I can not use Revit for weeks or months. But then you come across yet another dwg file with the layer conventions all screwed up and you need to fix it.

But a$$uming that the layer conventions ARE correct, you can do just about everything in Revit that the OP listed. Just turn layers off that you don't need... import/link cad files in your project to review them, and so on. Also: TrueDWG is just one example of the free viewers out there.

Forum Co-Founder Avatar de iru69
    Data de Ingresso
    December 7, 2010
    Hora local atual
    10:57 PM

Our office no longer uses ACAD to produce work, but it's still a handy tool.

Just this past week, I wanted a couple details from an ACAD project from ten years ago... I went into our archives and opened up the detail sheet and wblock'd out the individual details I wanted. I could not have imported the whole DWG into Revit because I wouldn't have been able to explode it (too many lines).

I also use it all the time to clean up surveys we get before temp linking them into our Revit projects for reference. Similarly it's useful for cleanup when I'm constructing families using DWG files for reference (e.g. fixtures, appliances, etc.).

I don't know that every user has to have ACAD on their computer, depending on the size of office, but it sure is handy to have readily available.

Also, if Revit supported unlimited explode size of DWGs, and no "line too short, being deleted" problems, then I probably wouldn't need ACAD.
    Última edição por iru69; September 30th, 2012 às 12:41 AM.

Administrator Avatar de Gordon Price
    Data de Ingresso
    December 7, 2010
    Hora local atual
    07:57 AM

I think a 1:10 or 1:15 ratio of network licenses works well. Just a few seats that everyone shares means the work that still needs to be done in CAD can be, but no one go go off and do a whole site plan in CAD without the whole offices knowing about it.
    Or, at minimum, an old workstation machine with AutoCAD, or even Acad LT, that everyone goes to when they need a half hour of AutoBAD here and there.

Gordon

Data de Ingresso
    August 30, 2012
    Hora local atual

Thanks gentleman, its nice to hear from experienced professionals regarding this subject. All of the responses were very informative and give me ideas on how to fix the problem I'm having. This forum is such a great tool, I hope they dont take that away too, j/k
    I think the two main reasons they are removing cad from our machines is cost and the fact that some people are still using cad as a crutch. I guess it's time to buck up and make it work. Ive done it before when learning Revit and can do it again. Maybe with a few more grey hairs this time. I will keep you all informed on the outcome. Cheers!

Moderator Avatar de DaveP
    Data de Ingresso
    January 10, 2011
    Hora local atual

Citação Postado originalmente por Cycle Man Ver Post
    ... some people are still using cad as a crutch.
    ^^THIS!!

We've still got AutoCAD on everyone's desk and it makes me sad when I see all of those black screens.
    We are a very non-autocratic office, so we tend to not push back if someone wants to do a project in CAD. More often than not, there is some excuse, like its a remodel, and "its not worth it to model the existing building" or "the client has specific CAD requirements".
    But if you dig into it, it's just the someone on the team doesn't want to learn Revit.
    And this is after 7 years of Revit!

Moderator Avatar de cellophane
    Data de Ingresso
    August 9, 2011
    Hora local atual
    01:57 AM

Citação Postado originalmente por Cycle Man Ver Post
    ...some people are still using cad as a crutch.
    Citação Postado originalmente por DaveP Ver Post
    More often than not, there is some excuse, like its a remodel, and "its not worth it to model the existing building" or "the client has specific CAD requirements"
    As much as I agree with doing it all in Revit there are instances when it doesn't make much sense. I fought this battle a month or two ago with a job that ended up being pushed back into CAD. The client is a major retailer and has very specific requirements that we have to comply with. I can guarentee that if they don't like how we do it they will drop us like a bad habit and find someone else that will play by their rules. The jobs are remodels but they provide full CAD documents for the entire building - building plans, sections, elevations and fixture plans. The CDs don't really consist of more than plans (demo / new), sections (demo / new), exterior elevations (demo / new) and a few interiors (bathrooms mostly.) Between the huge amount of information that is already existing and some rather specific client requirements it ends up being inefficient to convert it all to Revit. There is some push back due to not knowing Revit but even after working on the job I tended to agree with keeping them in CAD.

The real bugger is that all of their new work is in Revit... If we get to the point that we remodel one of those stores Revit will definately make more sense.

Tags para este Tópico

Permissões de Postagem