Thread: New Laptop Specs!

Current Local Time
    05:16 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

New Laptop Specs!

Hey guys!

New to this forum and the computer specs world! Wanted some input on the Unit I have picked out for my new laptop. Let me know what yall think.

Mobile Precision M6700 Dell Mobile Precision M6700
    Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate, No Media, 64-bit, English
    Processor 3rd Gen Intel« CoreÖ i7-3820QM Processor (2.7GHz, 8M cache, Upgradable to Intel« vProÖ technology)
    Memory 16.0GB, DDR3-1600MHz SDRAM, 2 DIMMS
    Graphics: NiVIDIA« Quadro« K4000M with 4GB GDDR5
    Primary Storage: 128GB (SATA3) Solid State Mini-card Drive, No RAID

Secondary Storage
    128GB 2.5" (SATA3) Mobility Solid State Drive, 2nd

I have left room for expansion on all components. Any reviews of this unit? My main use is Revit, Cad, 3dS Max, Sketchup, And Adobe Suite.
    Anyone know if the Processor in these machines can be upgraded in the future? From my understanding this workstation works much like a desktop in regards to parts exchange.

Let me know what yall think!

Thanks in Advance!

Current Local Time
    04:16 PM

I'm hardly an expert on hardware and Revit but I just went through the process of buying a new laptop as well - the specs I have in it are pretty darn close to yours listed and that seems to be pretty good from what I've gathered in these forums. You can view the thread discussing this here:

http://www.revitforum.org/hardware-i...placement.html

I don't know if money is an issue, but I would spec the lowest amount of RAM as you can and then buy whatever you need from a 3rd party. Usually the cost of upgrading the RAM with the manufacturer is way more than you can buy elsewhere on your own. I just picked up 4 8GB sticks for $150.00.

I know you're looking at a Dell, but I've been told with the ThinkPad W530 that you can upgrade the CPU so maybe you can with the Dell as well - I would check for a user/maintenance guide on their website. In fact, I would read through the user guide of any laptop I was about to buy before actually buying it to see what it can and cannot do. I did this for the ThinkPad and I was pleased with what you can all replace in that laptop.

Current Local Time

Yes, I looked at the thinkpad, but was disappointed at the lack of hard drive space compared to the dell. I know the dell's ram and hard drive storage is all exchangable. I am currently researching to see about the cpu. Which 8gb sticks did you get? Im getting the 16gb 2dimms for now with plans to add another 16gb in the future. As my needs grow i want the ability to expand my computer as well.

Current Local Time
    04:16 PM

I got the Corsair Vengeance sticks from Newegg. They were 15% off last weekend.

The ThinkPad has something called an UltraBay where you can hotswap out the optical drive for a second hard drive that fits in an adapter. Since I hardly use an optical drive anymore this was perfect for me. I get the space for more storage and the option to switch in the optical drive on the rare occasion that I need it.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time

We just tested the m6700 against its smaller friend, the m4700. That 4GB graphics card gets you zero performance gains in Revit. Unless youre using Max or Navisworks, its pretty unnecessary right now. The m4700 has the k2000m, which runs like a champ in Revit.

If you use navis or 3dsmax, however, there might be more gains. Even in navis, however, we only saw a difference in the regeneration during Fly mode in the most complex of models.

Current Local Time
    10:16 PM

I've been using the M6400 since 2009 and it still works like a charm. If I had the money and could buy a new laptop, I would definitely get the red M6700. However, There comes a point, that you stop adjusting your computer to the requirement of Revit. Revit is usually the weakest link which will not change in the near future either. Many software are making more and more use of the GPU like unbiased rendering engines (Octane, Iray etc.) or realtime rendering software like Lumion. Other software like 3ds max or even Archicad support hyper treading technology.

Just get the best technology you can afford, unless you exclusively use revit.

Current Local Time

Thanks for all the input. I just purchased the unit above with a few changes.

Primary storage is 128gb ssd minicard
    secondary is 750gb 7200rpm hard drive
    Also upgraded the screen to premier color.
    And 2 24" dual monitors

My main programs will be revit, 3ds max, autocad, and rhino. Experimenting with more in depth software as well. I wanted a strong laptop that could handle anything I threw at it with the options to expand in the future.

Thanks Again and I will let yall know how it performs.