Thread: Issues changing parameter to shared

Current Local Time
    10:24 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Issues changing parameter to shared

I have a wall sleeve family that has two parameters, diameter and radius. Both are family parameters, instances, and are grouped under 'Dimensions'. I have a project with a number of these sleeves already placed. I decided I wanted to tag the diameter, so I made the parameters shared (still listed under 'Dimensions') and re-loaded into my project. When re-loaded, the Diameter parameter is now grouped under 'Other' and its resetting all my sleeve sizes to the default family size. If I load this family into a brand new project it works correctly. Does anyone have any idea whats going on here?

BTW the tag isn't a big deal, I can live without it. Its just the behavior I'm seeing that I don't understand and would like to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    12:24 AM

Quote Originally Posted by joshr View Post
    I have a wall sleeve family that has two parameters, diameter and radius. Both are family parameters, instances, and are grouped under 'Dimensions'. I have a project with a number of these sleeves already placed. I decided I wanted to tag the diameter, so I made the parameters shared (still listed under 'Dimensions') and re-loaded into my project. When re-loaded, the Diameter parameter is now grouped under 'Other' and its resetting all my sleeve sizes to the default family size. If I load this family into a brand new project it works correctly. Does anyone have any idea whats going on here?

BTW the tag isn't a big deal, I can live without it. Its just the behavior I'm seeing that I don't understand and would like to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    Switching a param to shared is basically making a new parameter, hence it replaces all of your values with the default value. Thats the normal behavior for the program. Its moving to Other probably because when you switched it to Shared you didnt also put it back in Dimensions.

The workaround is dont replace the parameter, but add the Shared parameter. Then set it equal to the unshared parameter in your family.

Current Local Time
    10:24 PM

Thanks for the response.

The replacing of values makes sense, and that will be easy for me to fix. However, the Diameter parameter is set to 'Dimensions' in the family, but switches to 'Other' when re-loaded into my existing file. When I load the exact same family into a new file, it lists it correctly under 'Dimensions'. I've seen similar behavior before where I modified a family (I know, I didn't plan ahead) and it acted differently in an existing file vs a new file. Not sure if this is common or what the cause/solution could be.

Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    12:24 AM

Are you sure when you ORIGINALLY made the Shared parameter that you didnt have it under OTHER and then switch it before a reload? If you did, youll probably have to go to Project Parameters and modify it.

Current Local Time
    06:24 PM

Ive seen this as well - quite often when I update a parameters "group" I need to save and load as a different named family for the new group I want it to be under to stick. Then I select the old families and types and change them to the new ones, purge the old family and rename the new one to what it was originally called!

Current Local Time
    06:24 AM

Hi, if you have a problem (the losing when changing a parameter (for whatever reason because of name, shared etc) you can also think about adding a new parameter and then have the formula looking at the original parameter, then it stays good and you could tag it after that the new parameter would be filled in correctly. after the load with both parameters you can try to edit the family again and remove the formula and the original and then load again. this should work. but I'm not sure.

We work a lot with families from external partners and most of the time they make a mess of the parameters so we add our own parameters to the families with a formula to have them scheduled and exported to DB.

Hope I helped out a bit.
    DLC

Current Local Time
    07:24 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Page View Post
    Ive seen this as well - quite often when I update a parameters "group" I need to save and load as a different named family for the new group I want it to be under to stick. Then I select the old families and types and change them to the new ones, purge the old family and rename the new one to what it was originally called!
    are you referring to nonshared parameters?
    if yes, then I know when this is starting to happen. It's when you start editing the family from the project. In that project where you clicked edit family, if you start to rearrange the parameters in another groups, after load in project action, you will see this things happening. So I never upgrade a family starting via editing from project(tested via edit family button in 2009 2011 and 2013). I only use the window explorer path by reopening the family file I want to edit then load in project button. Hope my findings are consistent

Current Local Time
    06:24 PM

Good find - I hope you are right and next time I need to do it with our families I'll let you know

Current Local Time

insteed 2013 I want it to write 2012 Just this morning tested with 2013. First tests shows me no bugs via Edit Button

Current Local Time

O man, I`m getting old I was confused. The bug is still there just that it has nothing to do with parameters grouping part.

It`s about the fact it mess the order of your parameters in the family, if you edit the family from inside the project and you save the family over the original file. The ideea is you allways start at some point to rename some parameters but you want to keep a desired already established order from your family, evenn after the renaming procces (nonshared parameters).
    The bug still available in all revit versions (2009-2013).
    Now in 2013 we are at a doubleclick distance to meet this bug
    So that was the idea behind it. That`s why I allways use window explorer for editing (upgrading) families.

2012-09-28_1225 - gaby424's library

Ok, if the upgrading of a family is happening in a middle of a project , in that project, the order will be messed (we can indeed reload that family with other name as you described..). The idea with windows exlorer workflow is
    to not mess the original familly file so the next new project can have your wanted order.

p.s.
    that`s the bug I used in my favor to make this trick work:
    http://www.revitforum.org/tutorials-...arameters.html
    anyway I never used the trick...to much work for the renaming part
    Last edited by gaby424; September 28th, 2012 at 04:11 PM.