Resultados 1 al 8 de 8

Tema: Wall finishes problem

Hora local
    01:41

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Wall finishes problem

Hi guys.
    I'm new on the forum, and new to Revit, so I apologise if this seems like a daft question.

I'm trying to create a new, very basic wall type for my project. It's core has 57mm insulation, that's fine, but when it comes to putting on the 0.7mm steel finish on, it tells me that the finish layer needs to have a thickness. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but i thought 0.7 mm was a thickness. I know this because it works a treat in AutoCAD Architecture!
    I've had a look, and apparently you need a minimum thickness of 1.6mm, but that doesn't suit my requirements.

If anyone has any work arounds for this, I would be very grateful!

Thank you

Forum Co-Founder Avatar de iru69
    Hora local
    17:41

Hi David, welcome to the forum!

That's got to be a little frustrating. As a work-around, how about if you made the insulation 56.1mm and the finish 1.6mm (or whatever it would work out to if the finish is on both sides of the insulation)?... that would maintain the actual overall thickness of the wall. Would that really mess anything up?

Moderator Avatar de snowyweston
    Hora local

What scale of drawing, and lineweights, are you going to be using that will clearly delineate 0.7mm thickness of the steel?

I would personally model the wall at 60mm - using one material, a "57mm Insulation w/ 0.7mm Steel Lining" that has a nice shiny metal render appearance and a identity information that reads the same when using a material tag.

Hora local
    02:41

Cita Iniciado por snowyweston Ver Mensaje
    What scale of drawing, and lineweights, are you going to be using that will clearly delineate 0.7mm thickness of the steel?

I would personally model the wall at 60mm - using one material, a "57mm Insulation w/ 0.7mm Steel Lining" that has a nice shiny metal render appearance and a identity information that reads the same when using a material tag.
    And if he wants to schedule the volume of insulation and steel? Its similar to the "line is too short" issue, and i think it will never be solved...

Hora local

I was thinking about making the insulation 56.1, but then as mentioned by Tomcsie, I'll need to create a schedule. It's not necessarily the drawing that I need to be accurate, as I'll be doing details to show the construction. It's the schedule that will be created. I could just create a stand alone schedule, but then that negates the point of using Revit.
    Frustrating indeed!

Member Avatar de cerb0z
    Hora local
    03:41

Well, you can use a formula for your steel finish material. And yes, this is very frustrating limitation.

Hora local

Cita Iniciado por cerb0z Ver Mensaje
    Well, you can use a formula for your steel finish material. And yes, this is very frustrating limitation.
    How would I go about creating a formula? I'm new to Revit and only know the basics.

Moderator Avatar de snowyweston
    Hora local

Cita Iniciado por davidjb82 Ver Mensaje
    I'll need to create a schedule. It's not necessarily the drawing that I need to be accurate, as I'll be doing details to show the construction. It's the schedule that will be created.
    Is it a composite panel product - or one that you're designing?

If it's the former, you won't (surely) need to schedule them as separate quantities (like you wouldn't with insulation-backed plasterboard, since it's a product). If it's the latter, then what accuracy will your schedules need to be? Will you be modelling to such an extent that dimensionally the schedule of your wall element will truly reflected the required quantities to the point where 0.7mm variance will be apparent? Good luck too you if you are.

Otherwise, as suggested, you'd do well to consider approaching the problem differently (in light of Revit's current limitations) - for example, the metal is a panel sheet - typically ordered in height/width by shape and by thickness, not by a volume. The area of your (Revit) composite wall, or it's separate height and length values, will be enough for any estimator - and any volume "calculation" you provide would be unnecessary.

If you're calculating embodied energy, or have even more esoteric considerations, that "require" this level of accuracy, consider also that the equations and methods to produce those are pretty much rule-based, to "best scenario" conditions, with a certain degree of tolerance. If it's the U-Value of the "wall" calculate the combine value for the wall, insulation+metal, for your data input - don't try to (use Revit) to split it up.