Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 3000 USD, Received: 1207 USD (40%)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: RTC North America 2016 Survival Guide

  1. #1
    Member Knitro87's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3, 2014
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    279
    Current Local Time
    11:05 AM

    RTC North America 2016 Survival Guide

    I started this thread last year, and it came in very handy. The one piece of advise that I regret not heeding was CHAPSTICK! I will not be making that mistake again, especially in Arizona's dryer climate.

    This will be my first time visiting Phoenix/Scottsdale. If any of you veterans have insight, suggestions, and/or experiences worth sharing, please do so!

    p.s. RFO stickers and meetup?

  2. #2
    Moderator cellophane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9, 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    6,104
    Current Local Time
    12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Knitro87 View Post
    I started this thread last year, and it came in very handy. The one piece of advise that I regret not heeding was CHAPSTICK! I will not be making that mistake again, especially in Arizona's dryer climate.

    This will be my first time visiting Phoenix/Scottsdale. If any of you veterans have insight, suggestions, and/or experiences worth sharing, please do so!

    p.s. RFO stickers and meetup?
    Chap-stick / lotion will be nice to have in the desert. I do recall there being a bit of a humidity shock when I went to AU, especially since I'm used to 60% humidity...
    Sunscreen is recommended if you are like me and burn by looking out the window too long, especially if you are going golfing on Wednesday.

    I still have some buttons & postage stamp sized stickers leftover from last year that I'll bring with me.

  3. #3
    Senior Member chris.macko's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    523
    Current Local Time
    11:05 AM
    I like to bring the single serve powder drink mixes for Gatorade/propel/ whatever flavor you want since you want to stay hydrated and water is cheaper than buying sports drinks at the hotel. The powder mixes are easier to travel with too. This will be my first year at RTC too, but I know a few people I used to work with that will be there.

  4. #4
    The Moderator with No Imagination MPwuzhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14, 2010
    Location
    Coeur d Alene, ID
    Posts
    4,698
    Current Local Time
    09:05 AM
    It's a bummer that Heart Attack Grill is no longer there...closed years ago. Get used to seeing kids driving super expensive cars. Had a company dinner at a country club in Scottsdale years ago and a 16 year old was getting a brand new BMW convertible, and here I was driving a used Saturn SL2.

    If you have a vehicle and are not playing golf on Wednesday, the Salt River Tubing park is about a 45 minute drive....you can rent tubes, kick back with an ice chest filled with beer. There are different starting points btw, with actual hours to complete. The Superstitions are near there too...if you want to try looking for the Lost Dutchman. If you like old westerns, Old Tucson is about a 2 hour drive Southeast, a bit further is Tombstone. The Pima Air Museum is pretty cool if you are into jets, along with a tour of the "Boneyards" at Davis Monthan.

    My mom got hit by a car earlier this year riding her bike in Tucson one morning...broke both legs, a few ribs and her left hand when trying to get the driver's attention. She was in traction for months. Happy to say she got on her mountain bike yesterday and rode around the cul-de-sac a few times. I'm heading there on Wednesday for a brief visit and take her to a belated birthday dinner since at that time she was stuck in a hospital bed.

    Other than the sites...drink lots of water..freeze the bottles if you can. I used to get up at 4am to go riding and by 6am my water bottles were ready for hot tea.

  5. #5
    Member Knitro87's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3, 2014
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    279
    Current Local Time
    11:05 AM
    I made the mistake of partaking in a night of heavy drinking with the Revit Certification Exam scheduled first thing on the following morning. As a result, I only scored a 97 out of a possible 100.

    Shame.

    Shame.

    Shame.

  6. #6
    Moderator cellophane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9, 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    6,104
    Current Local Time
    12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MPwuzhere View Post
    If you have a vehicle and are not playing golf on Wednesday, the Salt River Tubing park is about a 45 minute drive....you can rent tubes, kick back with an ice chest filled with beer. There are different starting points btw, with actual hours to complete. The Superstitions are near there too...if you want to try looking for the Lost Dutchman. If you like old westerns, Old Tucson is about a 2 hour drive Southeast, a bit further is Tombstone. The Pima Air Museum is pretty cool if you are into jets, along with a tour of the "Boneyards" at Davis Monthan.
    Taliesin West is only about 30 minutes away as well. Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

  7. #7
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    10,036
    Current Local Time
    11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Knitro87 View Post
    I made the mistake of partaking in a night of heavy drinking with the Revit Certification Exam scheduled first thing on the following morning. As a result, I only scored a 97 out of a possible 100.

    Shame.

    Shame.

    Shame.
    I made the mistake in Australia of taking the certification DURING the heavy drinking. I found that to be much more efficient: then the hangover isn't clouding your abilities during the exam.

    Looking forward to seeing fellow RFO folks in Scottsdale. I will be there Sunday to Sunday. Reach out if you will be there! I will be there all week, and my wife (architect and reviteer) will be there as well, for a part of it.

  8. #8
    Member Knitro87's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3, 2014
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    279
    Current Local Time
    11:05 AM
    Directly from RTC Events Management:

    What to pack?
    Dress code: Smart casual during conference sessions and any of the social functions unless specified.
    Note: The weather in Scottsdale is very hot. It is essential that you remain hydrated at all times and carry all the necessities such as sunscreen, hats, sunglasses and water etc.


    Getting to the Westin Kierland Resort & Spa

    UBER and LYFT are available from the airport and depending on the ride type, fares start from $21.

    The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa is only 20.2 miles from Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. The approximate taxi fare ranges from $55 - $75 dependent on traffic (excluding gratuity).
    SuperShuttle (shared-ride) is available at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport to the Resort at $21, gratuity not included.
    The Westin Kierland Resort & Spa offers complimentary onsite self-parking for conference attendees. There is also valet parking available for $29 per day.
    You'll find a range of car rental options at the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. You can either book with your preferred company prior to your arrival, here, or shop around at the Terminal for the best deal.

  9. #9
    Senior Member chris.macko's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    523
    Current Local Time
    11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    .

    I still have some buttons & postage stamp sized stickers leftover from last year that I'll bring with me.
    How does one get these stickers and/or buttons?

  10. #10
    Moderator cellophane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9, 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    6,104
    Current Local Time
    12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.macko View Post
    How does one get these stickers and/or buttons?
    Find me and ask =) I'll be at BCS & RTC. Not sure what I'm doing on Wednesday since I don't golf and won't have a car...

    I just sent you a contact on the RTC app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Building Content Summit 2016 at RTC North America
    By Twiceroadsfool in forum Out There
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 16th, 2016, 04:31 AM
  2. RTC: BCS 2016… North America! (???)
    By RTC in forum Blog Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 3rd, 2016, 12:45 AM
  3. RTC North America 2015 survival guide
    By Knitro87 in forum Out There
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: July 27th, 2015, 01:37 PM
  4. What Revit Wants: RTC Survival Guide
    By luke.johnson in forum Blog Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 28th, 2012, 11:15 AM
  5. Navisworks Survival Guide (aka FAQ)
    By jtocci in forum Coordination Tools
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 16th, 2011, 03:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •