Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAD drawing underlay problem

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    CAD drawing underlay problem

    Hi friends,
    I came across one headache problem yesterday and still cannot seem to find an appropriate solution for this.

    I have client drawings in CAD, actually this a huge 7 floor building each floor 1200 square meter of small small partition walls, apartment floor plan.
    So, I open this drawing in CAD, and it looks perfect, then I import it into Revit as an underlay to start drawing the model over it - when I do import it in some proportions and rooms are double layered and mixed up lines (as if in this portion the drawing has two layers). I open the drawing in CAD again, and it looks normal, and I start digging it, exploding all the blocks and oops the same sh*t appeared. Then I checked with the supplier of the drawing and they explained that they have done some revisions to the existing plan, and they have saved it in the separate layer with visibilty turned off. Ok, I said, I went back to my Revit and started all over again, this time when importing I chose an option to import only visible layers. Didn't work out. Same sh*t. Then I thought maybe I will be able to fix the drawing in cad? I tried doing it manually, but oh my holly god, there are block inside blocks which are inside other blocks and the root block may be 5-7 blocks deeper hidden inside and all of them have 100 of layers some of them frozen some of them visible some of them off.
    Close it off and relax. Now I wonder if there is any option to export a CAD drawing and have it as it looks like when you open the file, e g. without hidden layers and blocks and x-clips, yea and there are some excips that hide the existing portion of the drawings with another block. Oh my god, it so advanced that now I think I don't understand anything about AutoCAD

    Anybody any idea?

    #2
    yes we have this problem too with hidden layers because Revit doesn't care what's hidden, if it's in the dwg it'll become visible upon import/link. One of our consultant architect's uses archicad which even gives reversed/mirrored text in the dwgs! Super annoying reading backwards text all over the place...
    Perhaps ask your consultants to export only the layers you need...or spend lots of time exploding, unhiding, unfreezing, purging, auditing, exploding, unhiding, unfreezing, purging, auditing, exploding, unhiding, unfreezing...
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by spotless View Post
      when I do import it in some proportions and rooms are double layered and mixed up lines (as if in this portion the drawing has two layers)
      Could be that CAD drawing is too far from 0,0,0 coordinates.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Hirvio View Post
        Could be that CAD drawing is too far from 0,0,0 coordinates.
        No, Hirvio, the problem is that the consultant drawings are complex CAD drawings and I don't know why they have all the design option in CAD in xcliped or hidden blocks and layers. I see that whenever they made changes to this building they have saved the old version in the same location as an xclip or hidden block in the same layer or hidden layer in the same block. Now I just wonder if there is a non-direct method to import a CAD drawing into Revit without unveiling its hidden secrets by conslutants.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by elton williams View Post
          yes we have this problem too with hidden layers because Revit doesn't care what's hidden, if it's in the dwg it'll become visible upon import/link. One of our consultant architect's uses archicad which even gives reversed/mirrored text in the dwgs! Super annoying reading backwards text all over the place...
          Perhaps ask your consultants to export only the layers you need...or spend lots of time exploding, unhiding, unfreezing, purging, auditing, exploding, unhiding, unfreezing, purging, auditing, exploding, un-hiding, unfreezing...
          You know what is the most amazing thing about this story, when I started digging the layers I found out that the original design is made in Revit (there are these typical revit to cad export layers like A-ANNO-DIMS, A-WALL an etc all the bunch from Revit) and then exported to cad and then in cad it is modified and multiplied to some X and XY versions with same layers
          Last edited by spotless; August 5, 2012, 08:40 AM.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by spotless View Post
            You know what is the most amazing thing about this story, when I started digging the layers I found out that the original design is made in Revit (there are these typical revit to cad export layers like A-ANNO-DIMS, A-WALL an etc all the bunch from Revit) and then exported to cad and then in cad it is modified and multiplied to some X and XY versions with same layers
            That could be, but I think that those layer names are not typical just for Revit.

            You can try to export dwg to dwf (from ACAD), and then to import DWF to blank ACAD file. Save to DWG and try to link it in Revit. Never tried it in Revit though, but once it saved me in ACAD.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Hirvio View Post
              That could be, but I think that those layer names are not typical just for Revit.

              You can try to export dwg to dwf (from ACAD), and then to import DWF to blank ACAD file. Save to DWG and try to link it in Revit. Never tried it in Revit though, but once it saved me in ACAD.
              Yes, I tried, but either exporting doesn't work or it's only for 3D objects. Is there an option to export 2D DWF? because I export it and when I insert it back again in CAD it shows two dummies only.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by spotless View Post
                Yes, I tried, but either exporting doesn't work or it's only for 3D objects. Is there an option to export 2D DWF? because I export it and when I insert it back again in CAD it shows two dummies only.
                Yes I found it, but after you re-import it to a blank file it is not imported to revit, in Revit you get an error saying "explode the file in AutoCAD and try again" and in AutoCAD dwf is untouchable

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by spotless View Post
                  Yes I found it, but after you re-import it to a blank file it is not imported to revit, in Revit you get an error saying "explode the file in AutoCAD and try again" and in AutoCAD dwf is untouchable
                  Sorry to hear that (it was somewhat expect-able). It is frustrating that we can't import dwf in revit.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I don't AutoCAD, and hope to never have to learn.

                    WBLOCK is a useful command I was taught to extract only the selected info to a new file....

                    Could you open the CAD file and freeze all the hidden layers. I'm not sure, but I tought Revit shows hidden layers, not frozen ones.

                    Then there is the issue I found where turning off the layer that an xref was placed on, that turned off all the associated layers? Maybe find the layer that the refs are on?

                    Worth a try!
                    I used to be high on life, until I realised it was cut with Morons.
                    Combating ignorance daily through learning.

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X