Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading plotter, recommendations?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Upgrading plotter, recommendations?

    My Encad Cadjet II, which I have had for about 15 years, has finally died.

    I have had three suggestions for A1 plotters from my Autodesk reseller.

    HP Designjet 510.
    HP Designjet T790.
    Epson Stylus PRO 7700.

    Has anyone any experiences, good or bad with any of these?

    Or a better option?

    I am a one-man team here, so do not need a plotter that will produce lots of sheets every day. Occasionally I might plot up to two hundred sheets in a day, but mostly I would only do ten at once, and not every day.

    I haven't used colour for several years, but really only because it wasn't very practical on the Cadjet, but I do want that capability, so I can add some shaded colour views sometimes.

    The HP Designjet T790 and the Epson Stylus PRO 7700 are only $70 apart, and the Designjet 510 is about $290 cheaper.
    Last edited by Chris Needham; March 14, 2012, 09:41 AM.

    #2
    We have a DesignJet 800 which is the big brother to the 510 and it's been a really good machine. Speed doesn't compare to the new systems but we outsource or half size so much plotting now that it doesn't really make or break anything. The only thing I'd worry about is that the 510 series has been around a while and may get retired soon.
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO


    chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

    Comment


      #3
      Don't forget about ink cartridge costs. You can get jumbo sized cartridges on that Epson which are cheaper per volume. Plus you'd be switching out cartridges less often.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by cellophane View Post
        We have a DesignJet 800 which is the big brother to the 510 and it's been a really good machine. Speed doesn't compare to the new systems but we outsource or half size so much plotting now that it doesn't really make or break anything. The only thing I'd worry about is that the 510 series has been around a while and may get retired soon.
        I don't need blazing speed due to not having huge output requirements. And thanks for the tip about the age of the 510.

        Originally posted by need4mospd View Post
        Don't forget about ink cartridge costs. You can get jumbo sized cartridges on that Epson which are cheaper per volume. Plus you'd be switching out cartridges less often.
        Yes, 350 or 700ml. They would last me a heck of a long time!

        Do you have one of these Epsons?
        Last edited by Chris Needham; March 14, 2012, 09:33 PM.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Chris Needham View Post
          I don't need blazing speed due to not having huge output requirements. And thanks for the tip about the age of the 510.
          After they retire a model they offer extended care packs for 5-10 years past the retirement of the plotter. Our 800 is on it's last year of Care Pack coverage. I think it's $700 or so a year for next day service.
          Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO


          chad
          BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

          Comment

          Related Topics

          Collapse

          Working...
          X