Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Key Plan

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Key Plan

    I have been asked to come up with a solution to make our key plans work like shown in the NSC standards.

    I need to have: (Placed on every sheet)
    Site Keyplans and Building Keyplans with shading and text as required.

    The above is eaisly taken care of with visibility parameters in a title block. but...

    This is where I get lost. We would also need to have live referencing for elevations and sections in the keyplan.... You cant put live referencing on a sheet that I am aware of. :banghead:

    Any Ideas?
    -Alex Cunningham

    #2
    Any examples?
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

    Comment


      #3
      I will work on some dummy examples to post what they want it to look like.

      In the mean time Martijn/Aaron figure out a way for me to use live references in a key plan.
      -Alex Cunningham

      Comment


        #4
        What I might try doing since this would be different for every sheet is to make a detail view and reference the views you need into that drafting view and place it over your keyplan...you will probably also want to make new section and elevation heads that are smaller so they fit on to your key plan.

        You can't reference a view into a sheet...but you may be able to put an empty view with those references over your key plan.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
          I will work on some dummy examples to post what they want it to look like.

          In the mean time Martijn/Aaron figure out a way for me to use live references in a key plan.
          Now you're just sucking up (or insulting Aaron)... Keep up the good work :thumbsup:
          But remember that English is not my first language, I have actually no clue to what you are reffering here...

          EDIT: And Google Translate doesn't either. It only has a translation for Key Plan, somehow I don't think that this is what you're looking for.
          Last edited by mdradvies; February 8, 2011, 09:53 PM.
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

          Comment


            #6
            A key plan is a small schematic representation of a large floor plan, usually placed at the lower right corner of a sheet; the key plan has some shaded areas that vary from sheet to sheet, indicating which portion of the large floor plan is shown in each sheet. Sometimes it goes along with a Key section (for towers).

            There is a nice explanation about creating key plans in Revit, by Doug Bowers, at this link:
            http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=tech_talk...id=30&jid=9835
            Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

            Comment


              #7
              This is one of those where I think NCS is, um, wrong. A key plan lets you show a secotr plan on the sheet, and locate that sector within the overall plan. It has ZERO need for any elevation symbols, live or not, because that is what the PLAN is for, which is 20 times bigger and about 6" away. Revit makes this impossible to do "intelligently", but there was no reason to do the dumb version in Acad.

              Our Key plans look like this.
              Key Plan.PNG

              Never had a complaint from a contractor, and that is the ONLY opinion that matters in this case.

              But yes, I know if someone has decided/been told to follow NCS it doesn't matter if the tool doesn't make it easy, or if the standard is totally off base, hoops must/will be jumped through.

              Gordon
              Last edited by Gordon Price; February 9, 2011, 05:42 PM.
              Pragmatic Praxis

              Comment


                #8
                Ahh, those weird little thingies...

                Okay, call me stupid but isn't the easiest way to accomplish this the following:
                - create a area plan on a really big scale (like 1:1000 or something)
                - create different area codes for the different sheets they are on (maybe even tags so you will lose the text) and divide the total floor plan accordingly
                - show only the area that refers to the particular sheet
                - turn on section and elevetion markers
                - place on sheet
                add bonus: you can create a schedule in which you state which areas are on which sheet (although this wouldn't be a live update, just using text parameters).

                Am I missing something here? I generally don't use these since my projects are tiny and fit onto a single sheet...
                Martijn de Riet
                Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                MdR Advies
                Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
                  I have been asked to come up with a solution to make our key plans work like shown in the NSC standards.

                  I need to have: (Placed on every sheet)
                  Site Keyplans and Building Keyplans with shading and text as required.

                  The above is eaisly taken care of with visibility parameters in a title block. but...

                  This is where I get lost. We would also need to have live referencing for elevations and sections in the keyplan.... You cant put live referencing on a sheet that I am aware of. :banghead:

                  Any Ideas?
                  I don't know if this will help you or not but I'll throw it out anyway just in case. In the Summer 2010 issue of the AUGI AEC Edge there is an article by Paul Aubin called Revitize your Key Plan that has several options to create key plans. I've got this in hard copy so if you are interested and can't find it online I can scan and post it. Let me know

                  on second thought you can download that issue here . It looks to be 30+ MB though
                  Last edited by Dave Jones; February 9, 2011, 09:46 PM. Reason: added link
                  I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Gordon Price View Post
                    This is one of those where I think NCS is, um, wrong. A key plan lets you show a secotr plan on the sheet, and locate that sector within the overall plan. It has ZERO need for any elevation symbols, live or not, because that is what the PLAN is for, which is 20 times bigger and about 6" away. Revit makes this impossible to do "intelligently", but there was no reason to do the dumb version in Acad.

                    Our Key plans look like this.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]731[/ATTACH]

                    Never had a complaint from a contractor, and that is the ONLY opinion that matters in this case.

                    But yes, I know if someone has decided/been told to follow NCS it doesn't matter if the tool doesn't make it easy, or if the standard is totally off base, hoops must/will be jumped through.

                    Gordon
                    Whoa. I never noticed that sentence in the NCS that states "If a Key plan is used on the plan sheets, it should also be placed on the elevation sheets with elevation symbols indicating the location of each elevation shown on the sheet." The fact that they are actually requiring us to call out the same view more than once is patently wrong and in direct conflict with the guiding principles of the UDS. If you follow their logic here, would you not have to also do this for interior elevations? I will now pretend that I never saw it.

                    On another note, I think one could probably make very large scale floor plan views to accomplish the keyplan on the exterior elevation sheet task. One would need to heavily process them with VG overrides, and you would need a separate one for every elevation sheet, but it seems possible if not :crazy:.

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X