Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building Section vs Wall Section?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Building Section vs Wall Section?

    what's the diff between these two section types? I know that they are graphically different but are there other differences that would make one more useful in some cases and not in others?
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

    #2
    I do not think they are functionally different aside from the symbols they can be set up to use. Sections are one of the vew types that allow you to make, uh, new types, so utlitmately I think it is more of a bowser sorting thing rather than a functional thing (like the difference between a detail and a floor plan callout).

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by jsnyder View Post
      I do not think they are functionally different aside from the symbols they can be set up to use. Sections are one of the vew types that allow you to make, uh, new types, so utlitmately I think it is more of a bowser sorting thing rather than a functional thing (like the difference between a detail and a floor plan callout).
      thanks, that's sort of what I thought but didn't want to be missing some Revit automagical function
      I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

      Comment


        #4
        Uhhh, wall sections cut walls, and building sections cut the whole building. :hide:

        Not only do they help sort the brower, but you can also filter different section types since they show up in all views of the same discipline. So, I have foundation sections, building sections, structural sections, etc. etc. for filtering.
        Dan

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by dzatto View Post
          Uhhh, wall sections cut walls, and building sections cut the whole building. :hide:

          Not only do they help sort the brower, but you can also filter different section types since they show up in all views of the same discipline. So, I have foundation sections, building sections, structural sections, etc. etc. for filtering.
          you can cut either with either. The only difference that I can see is graphically the bldg section has the solid filled arrow pointy thingy and the wall section doesn't. And as I don't have any need to filter sections (yet) I don't see any need for the difference. But...there's got to be something that I'm missing, always is in dark and mysterious Revit
          I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

          Comment


            #6
            We use building sections, wall sections and detail sections, with different head and tail graphics for each type of section. By using a different type of section we can customize how the graphics looks for each different kind.

            Other than that...they are all still sections.

            Comment


              #7
              I take it one step further and have specific View Templates for the different sections. Building Sections are Course LOD, no MEP stuff on, etc. Wall Sections are Medium LOD so I can see wall layers, and Mechanical is on so anything integrated in the wall construction shows up. I also have Presentation Sections, which are Fine LOD, Consistent Colors, with shadows and Ambient Occlusion on. Lastly I have Working Sections, which use a square head, and are filtered out of all Document and Presentation views via View Templates. Each user can have a few of their own working sections that they move around, modify and reuse as needed. The sorting in the project browser is also rather nice.

              Gordon
              Last edited by Gordon Price; October 5, 2011, 11:46 PM.
              Pragmatic Praxis

              Comment


                #8
                One of my colleagues noticed that using a detail to cut a section makes the crop much smaller (elevation and view depth both) to begin with than a section (granted this is in RST so I believe we have wall section and detail, not wall section, building section, and detail).

                I wish there was some documentation on this behavior, because these differences also exist between elevation and section on how exactly they show. (Reveal hidden lines)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Gordon Price View Post
                  I take it one step further and have specific View Templates for the different sections. Building Sections are Course LOD, no MEP stuff on, etc. Wall Sections are Medium LOD so I can see wall layers, and Mechanical is on so anything integrated in the wall construction shows up. I also have Presentation Sections, which are Fine LOD, Consistent Colors, with shadows and Ambient Occlusion on. Lastly I have Working Sections, which use a square head, and are filtered out of all Document and Presentation views via View Templates. Each user can have a few of their own working sections that they move around, modify and reuse as needed. The sorting in the project browser is also rather nice.
                  Gordon
                  Originally posted by gdoherty0102 View Post
                  One of my colleagues noticed that using a detail to cut a section makes the crop much smaller (elevation and view depth both) to begin with than a section (granted this is in RST so I believe we have wall section and detail, not wall section, building section, and detail).

                  I wish there was some documentation on this behavior, because these differences also exist between elevation and section on how exactly they show. (Reveal hidden lines)
                  interesting stuff! I knew there was more to this than what it seemed on the surface. Thanks for the insight!
                  I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X