Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acquire Coordinates - Model and link share same coordinate system allready

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Acquire Coordinates - Model and link share same coordinate system allready

    I have a building model, I have a site model. Both started with the same project template. The building is modeled project north straight up and the site is modeled project north and true north straight up. The site was then linked into the building, then the site model is rotated to the orientation the designer wants the building to sit on the site. Now we want the site plan in the building model to show true north. So I select "acquire coordinates" and select the site model and get a message that the models allready share the same coord. system. But it won't show true north. What am I doing wrong. If I pick on the site model and click shared it shows "record position of this model" so it wants to publish to the site model. Whats up?
    Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

    #2
    I believe it needs to be the other way around where you set the True North in the Site, then in the Bldg models acquire coordinates from Site Link, or link in the Bldg models into the Site model & "Publish Coordinates" once you've located them, but make sure no one is in those files when doing so for ease. So each building should get it's own Internal Point Name assigned, like "Bldg A", then "Bldg B" when you "Publish".
    You could go to AU classes for more in depth procedures.
    Last edited by cftrevizo; April 24, 2018, 03:48 PM.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by sdbrownaia View Post
      I have a building model, I have a site model. Both started with the same project template. The building is modeled project north straight up and the site is modeled project north and true north straight up. The site was then linked into the building, then the site model is rotated to the orientation the designer wants the building to sit on the site. Now we want the site plan in the building model to show true north. So I select "acquire coordinates" and select the site model and get a message that the models allready share the same coord. system. But it won't show true north. What am I doing wrong. If I pick on the site model and click shared it shows "record position of this model" so it wants to publish to the site model. Whats up?
      They were already in the same coordinate system, prior to you rotating anything in the site plan (because in the Template they are linked By Shared Coordinates, or they were linked BSC previously). Once thats the case, you have to acquire coordinates from a completely unrelated model (a throwaway blank file), from the building. Then SWC. Then try acquiring from the site.

      The "check" for "Do we share the same coordinates" is more looking for "Is that a file i had the same coordinates as, at some point previously," but it doesnt actually compare current and previous coordinate systems, which sucks.

      Been this way forever, im pretty sure.
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks I’ll try the throw away file.
        Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by sdbrownaia View Post
          Thanks I’ll try the throw away file.
          Did this work? I have a similar issue on a current project where some buffoon has unclipped and moved the PBP.
          There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

          Comment


            #6
            It works when i do it here. It comes up a lot.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
            @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

            Comment


              #7
              Worked like a champ
              Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

              Comment


                #8
                Thanks guys. Holiday here today for ANZAC day, I'll give it a go when I get back to work tomorrow.
                There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by elton williams
                  Did this work? I have a similar issue on a current project where some buffoon has unclipped and moved the PBP.
                  Moving it un-clipped does nothing (to the coordinate system it is related to). It's the best possible outcome if someone moves it. Moving is Clipped is when things get messy. If it is unclipped, just right click and choose Move to Startup Location.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
                    Moving it un-clipped does nothing (to the coordinate system it is related to). It's the best possible outcome if someone moves it. Moving is Clipped is when things get messy. If it is unclipped, just right click and choose Move to Startup Location.
                    Its a high rise project with 3 models. Structure, facade, interiors. The structure and facade models have their PBP's in identical locations, while the interiors model has its PBP a seemingly random distance away on the other side of the building lot (as well as 2m out in elevation).

                    Apparently copy/ paste elements works fine between structure and facade but for the interiors model, stuff will paste some distance out in space. Not sure yet if that distance is the same as the difference between PBP's.

                    I only managed a quick review yesterday when this was brought to my attention. All 3 models "look" like they are lined up when viewed in any of the 3 project files.
                    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X