Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Gross surface area"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #11
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BACS

    [for those not in the UK]
    Kamran Mirza
    Chartered Architect RIBA, ARB, PCATP

    Comment


      #12
      Originally posted by kamranmirza View Post
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BACS

      [for those not in the UK]
      thanks! I was going to Google that as soon as I had a chance as I had no clue what BACS was.
      I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

      Comment


        #13
        BACS helped to nullify the excuse used since the last generation of "your cheque is in the post/mail".

        Nowadays you have to use "our internet connection is down" or the more usual "our accountant has had to [. . . add dramatic excuse as necessary . . . ]" since all payments in the UK are made online in seconds [mostly]. If someone did say "your cheque is in the post/mail" you'd get an answer of "you're sh!tting me ! why didn't you make an online payment ?"
        Kamran Mirza
        Chartered Architect RIBA, ARB, PCATP

        Comment


          #14
          Originally posted by kamranmirza View Post
          BACS helped to nullify the excuse used since the last generation of "your cheque is in the post/mail".

          Nowadays you have to use "our internet connection is down" or the more usual "our accountant has had to [. . . add dramatic excuse as necessary . . . ]" since all payments in the UK are made online in seconds [mostly]. If someone did say "your cheque is in the post/mail" you'd get an answer of "you're sh!tting me ! why didn't you make an online payment ?"
          While 99% of our personal and business financial transactions are done in the background, like auto pay, we still need checks, uh excuse me cheques What do you do when someone comes to wash your car and you owe them $40 and don't have enough cash? Or, maybe it's just because I was born in the dark ages and I don't know any better.
          I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

          Comment


            #15
            You pay $40 to get your car washed ??? !!!

            In the UK people used to use cheques until the 1980's when honesty decreased and cheques began to bounce; so banks started issuing "Cheque Guarantee Cards" . . . so if you wrote the number of the CGC on the back of the cheque, the bank wouldn't let it bounce as long as it was <= £50 [in the 1980's this = nearly $100!]. Finally, in the 1990's, everyone just moved onto credit and debit cards. Now, if you run out of cash, you're trusted to walk to the nearest ATM and bring back some cash . . . the car washer knows where you live
            Kamran Mirza
            Chartered Architect RIBA, ARB, PCATP

            Comment


              #16
              Originally posted by kamranmirza View Post
              You pay $40 to get your car washed ??? !!!

              In the UK people used to use cheques until the 1980's when honesty decreased and cheques began to bounce; so banks started issuing "Cheque Guarantee Cards" . . . so if you wrote the number of the CGC on the back of the cheque, the bank wouldn't let it bounce as long as it was <= £50 [in the 1980's this = nearly $100!]. Finally, in the 1990's, everyone just moved onto credit and debit cards. Now, if you run out of cash, you're trusted to walk to the nearest ATM and bring back some cash . . . the car washer knows where you live
              yeah, I get it. My closest ATM is about 7 miles away though so it's a lot easier to write a check. I have a debit card that I've had for probably 10 years that I've never used. What I'd like to see, and I know that this is already possible, is to have everyone have a card reader on their cell phone so I could just plug my chip cc in and pay the bill. Or better yet just scan from my phone's Wallet to your phone's Wallet. I can buy Starbucks coffee that way Whatever of that scenario is possible it would take two to tango.
              I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

              Comment


                #17
                Yeah it's already happening in the gig economy . . . the guy I went to get my IT work done by has a card reader connected to his iPhone and emailed me the receipt . . . quite neat. This one:

                en_GB.jpg
                Kamran Mirza
                Chartered Architect RIBA, ARB, PCATP

                Comment


                  #18
                  Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
                  My closest ATM is about 7 miles away
                  WAH!?

                  :WeDontHaveAShockedFaceEmoji?Seriously:

                  Comment


                    #19
                    Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
                    WAH!?

                    :WeDontHaveAShockedFaceEmoji?Seriously:
                    LOL! I guess that when you live in London you don't understand "country living" There are pluses and minuses to living in rural SLO county but the plus list is long and the minus list just has a "no ATM" on it. We are actually in Edna, CA not San Luis Obispo. Population 193 at last count. On the plus list is several wineries within walking distance!
                    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X