Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Needing more than custom keyboard shortcuts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Needing more than custom keyboard shortcuts

    I've been using Revit for a number of years now, I was using AutoCAD and have not been needing to use that anymore .
    When I was using it I had been doing some programming with AutoLISP.

    What is the method in the Revit world to achieve the same kind of result but in the Revit world.
    I'm a keyboard guy, I don't like having to drill down 2 or 3 levels to get something done... with my mouse.
    I need to setup some command automation.

    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

    #2
    Originally posted by jcb View Post
    I've been using Revit for a number of years now, I was using AutoCAD and have not been needing to use that anymore .
    When I was using it I had been doing some programming with AutoLISP.

    What is the method in the Revit world to achieve the same kind of result but in the Revit world.
    I'm a keyboard guy, I don't like having to drill down 2 or 3 levels to get something done... with my mouse.
    I need to setup some command automation.

    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Hi and welcome to the forum! Try View tab/User Interface/Keyboard Shortcuts
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks, but I know where to access the KeyBoard Shortcuts on the menu. What I'm trying to find out is what to use or where to go to generate a macro that instead of having to drill down into sub menu and more sub menu's to get to something.

      Is there a Revit (AutoLISP), for the lack of words.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by jcb View Post
        Thanks, but I know where to access the KeyBoard Shortcuts on the menu. What I'm trying to find out is what to use or where to go to generate a macro that instead of having to drill down into sub menu and more sub menu's to get to something.

        Is there a Revit (AutoLISP), for the lack of words.
        Dynamo or create your own Add-in..
        Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

        Comment


          #5
          Great, thanks.

          Comment


            #6
            I still run an autohotkey script to combine several Revit keyboard shortcuts into one (WT&ZA for example).
            You say you want 'more than keyboard shortcuts' yet you only mention having to drill down 2/3 levels with your mouse, for what? To get to a button that could have a KS applied to it?

            edit, now I've read the thread properly lol, as Michael said, Dynamo or macros. For simple Revit/Windows commands, to automate dialogue etc, thats what I use autohotkey for.
            Last edited by elton williams; April 14, 2017, 10:23 PM.
            There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

            Comment


              #7
              OK, for example, I like to use the 'View-Specific Element Graphics' dialog to make things halftone. Pick Item/Right click/Override Graphics in View/By Element.

              What is 'AutoHotKey'?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by jcb View Post
                OK, for example, I like to use the 'View-Specific Element Graphics' dialog to make things halftone. Pick Item/Right click/Override Graphics in View/By Element.

                What is 'AutoHotKey'?
                Element halftone = EOH. It might even been a default shortcut.

                https://autohotkey.com
                There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

                Comment


                  #9
                  If there are any shortcut whizzes reading this, Is there a shortcut to jump straight to editing the template that is applied to the active view? That drives me NUTS - when I just need to tweak some visibility, i hit VG and, oh, it's a template in this view. Select the view, go click on the template that is applied, etc. If you bring up the templates window (VT I think?) it doesn't pre-select the one you're looking at. It's such an annoyance, like many UI quirks in Revit that the programmers don't give a crap about.

                  That being said, to the original poster, have you thought about getting an extra numpad or a macro board like an XKeys XK-24? Or a left-handed gaming/macro board? I haven't taken the plunge yet myself, but it's tempting.

                  I'm slowly gaining more appreciation for the fact that anything in the ribbon can get a hotkey applied to it, including Add-ins. I share the frustration with the amount of mousing-around that needs to be done. Error messages are especially ingratiating - half the time I don't care what it says because I'm just trying to do some design work for a project that may never see the light of day, and it makes the design/modelling process painfully slow at times.
                  Last edited by guitarchitect; April 15, 2017, 07:31 PM.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by guitarchitect View Post
                    If there are any shortcut whizzes reading this, Is there a shortcut to jump straight to editing the template that is applied to the active view? That drives me NUTS - when I just need to tweak some visibility, i hit VG and, oh, it's a template in this view. Select the view, go click on the template that is applied, etc. If you bring up the templates window (VT I think?) it doesn't pre-select the one you're looking at. It's such an annoyance, like many UI quirks in Revit that the programmers don't give a crap about.

                    That being said, to the original poster, have you thought about getting an extra numpad or a macro board like an XKeys XK-24? Or a left-handed gaming/macro board? I haven't taken the plunge yet myself, but it's tempting.

                    I'm slowly gaining more appreciation for the fact that anything in the ribbon can get a hotkey applied to it, including Add-ins. I share the frustration with the amount of mousing-around that needs to be done. Error messages are especially ingratiating - half the time I don't care what it says because I'm just trying to do some design work for a project that may never see the light of day, and it makes the design/modelling process painfully slow at times.
                    If you're using VT to open the manage view templates dialogue then yeah, the one applied to a preselected view won't be highlighted. Pressing the view template button in your view properties will work though.
                    I've tried a few gaming keyboards and pads but they've never really worked out for me, others on this forum successfully use X keys. There's even a radial menu written with Autohotkey if you're feeling adventurous.
                    But I can get to 99% of my often used commands with a regular keyboard, with the most constantly used commands set to single keystrokes, move=1, copy=2, align=3...etc.
                    I learnt early on to read the Revit warnings and it's taught me a lot about how Revit works (and doesn't work).
                    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X