Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I reset visibility parameters for Legend Components?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    How can I reset visibility parameters for Legend Components?

    We use instance parameters in our windows and doors to control the number of glazing rails within a sash, like an adaptive grid. This gives us flexibility during early design and we would prefer not to make a new window type for every sash pattern while exploring the design. The issue is that when using Legend Components to draw our window elevations Revit will only display the window and its parameters that were present upon FIRST loading the family into the project. Without having to purge the family and reload with the new instance parameter settings, is there a way to get our Legend Components to update??

    The 3D view on the left shows the window and its current instance parameters (using a 3x2 grid for both sashes). The elevation on the right is legend component showing the default settings (when loaded). I have already tried going into the family, changing the instance parameters and reloading without luck.

    Window Problem.PNG

    #2
    I came across this problem with my door families and creating type legends a while back. You probably don't want to hear this, but I no longer use legends for this purpose (anything to do with families) the outcome I found to always be poor. I use the phasing method for elevation schedules these days or drafting views for standard legends common to every project which is in my template. In the current office I am in, they have chosen to go with curtain walls for all windows & doors, so that method requires us to use elevations/views.
    That being said, I'd be curious to know what the latest comments are on your particular problem...
    7

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by damo3 View Post
      I came across this problem with my door families and creating type legends a while back. You probably don't want to hear this, but I no longer use legends for this purpose (anything to do with families) the outcome I found to always be poor. I use the phasing method for elevation schedules these days or drafting views for standard legends common to every project which is in my template. In the current office I am in, they have chosen to go with curtain walls for all windows & doors, so that method requires us to use elevations/views.
      That being said, I'd be curious to know what the latest comments are on your particular problem...
      Do you use curtain walls for residential windows? I'm curious to see what that would look like.

      We still find Legend Components helpful, although poor. There are too many doors and windows in the project to have to make a new view for each one, but I still think it's silly that Legend Components don't give access to instance parameters.
      Last edited by billiam; February 17, 2017, 05:08 PM.

      Comment


        #4
        You dont make a new view for each door or window type. You make one Legend View, and line all your door and window types up in a row.

        I think its silly too. Having said that, it doesnt change anything. So if you use Legends, Instance controlled items are garbage. Or you make other views. Or you draft.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by billiam View Post
          Do you use curtain walls for residential windows? I'm curious to see what that would look like.
          No I don't. I always prefer families over curtain walls as windows. The main reason this firm using this method is the type of work we do. Generally warrants a lot of internal glazing (usually floor to ceiling) for maximum visibility through the spaces. Then, on top of this, the configurations of mullions varies quite a bit too, not just within the job, but from project to project.

          Anyway, what twiceroads said, for the legend view/phasing method, they all get lined up in a walls/stacked with a single view on a sheet.
          7

          Comment


            #6
            Doesn't look like it will get much attention anytime soon either... came across this today from the factory:
            https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit.../idi-p/6254177
            7

            Comment


              #7
              If we want to keep using legends, one obvious work around is for each door and window family, save as with _Legend, set up the types as you want in the legend and place those in your legend view.

              Comment


                #8
                Doing that with 3D elements will bloat your project.
                Maybe creating parametric detail item familys works better?
                Most familiair With Revit Architecture. Using Itannex Smartrevit.
                Running Revit on:
                [Xeon W2125, 16GB 2666mhz, Quadro P4000]
                _[i7 9700k, 32GB 3200mhz, MSI 980ti G6 gaming]
                [i5 6500, 16GB 2400mhz, MSI 1650 Aero]_[Ryzen 2600, 16GB 3200mhz, Gigabyte 1650 OC 4G]

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Modderhoop View Post
                  Doing that with 3D elements will bloat your project.
                  Maybe creating parametric detail item familys works better?
                  Designing, maintaining, and coordinating a separate family to get desired graphics is a loss of time and bloats the project. Having a parametric 3d element added a few more times in a couple extra views is the most efficient and coordinated way to create legends. We've been using the pre-phases for years.

                  While I'll leave it to the hardware experts to provide the details everything I have read, and my own experience working with models using 3d elements in custom documentation "legend" views, confirms that modern computers and Revit are well up to the job of handling 3d legend items. Earlier in Revit's days there may have been a performance hit with the computers of the day. Wherever possible I'll use 3d in lieu of 2D!
                  Julie Kidder
                  Architect + BIM Director
                  Hartman + Majewski Design Group

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by jmk View Post
                    While I'll leave it to the hardware experts to provide the details everything I have read, and my own experience working with models using 3d elements in custom documentation "legend" views, confirms that modern computers and Revit are well up to the job of handling 3d legend items. Earlier in Revit's days there may have been a performance hit with the computers of the day. Wherever possible I'll use 3d in lieu of 2D!
                    When will Autodesk realise computers nowadays have more then 1 core :crazy: :laugh:
                    https://youtu.be/q6aLwsd3BGM
                    Made this video to show my co-workers what revit mostly uses during modelling.
                    Last edited by Modderhoop; April 1, 2020, 04:48 PM.
                    Most familiair With Revit Architecture. Using Itannex Smartrevit.
                    Running Revit on:
                    [Xeon W2125, 16GB 2666mhz, Quadro P4000]
                    _[i7 9700k, 32GB 3200mhz, MSI 980ti G6 gaming]
                    [i5 6500, 16GB 2400mhz, MSI 1650 Aero]_[Ryzen 2600, 16GB 3200mhz, Gigabyte 1650 OC 4G]

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X