Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opening a new file opens up a new session of revit, despite already having Revit Open

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Opening a new file opens up a new session of revit, despite already having Revit Open

    everytime i open a file be it a drawing file, a revit family or anything to do with revit, it opens up a new session of revit.

    now, day to day this doesnt bother me, but at the moment im trying to sort out some families into a more electrical/lighting/mechanical enviroment due to new regulations in australia, and starting revit every single time i open a file is becoming a nightmare.

    is it a case of having to reinstall revit? is there something i can trigger somewhere that the files will know that if revit is already open it will just open another window withing revit??

    #2
    Instead of double-clicking the file in Windows Explorer to open it, open it through Revit. That way you'll only be using one session.

    Alternatively, you can drag and drop a file from Windows Explorer to your current session of Revit to open it there.

    Arcturis
    BIM Manager
    Associate Architect

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by rosskirby View Post
      Instead of double-clicking the file in Windows Explorer to open it, open it through Revit. That way you'll only be using one session.

      Alternatively, you can drag and drop a file from Windows Explorer to your current session of Revit to open it there.
      Yes, I HIGHLY recommend never double-clicking a file from explorer to open it. ALWAYS use the Open command from Revit to open files.
      Scott D Davis
      Sr. AEC Technical Specialist
      Autodesk, Inc.
      http://bit.ly/aboutsdd

      Comment


        #4
        Clearly that shouldn't be happening. What operating system are you running?

        XP:
        - Launch Windows Explorer and go to Tools -> Folder Options (or Control Panel -> Appearances and Themes -> Folder Options)
        - Click the File Types tab
        - Browse to and select the Revit files types (RFA, RVT, RTE, RFT)
        - For each file type, click on the Advanced button
        - For each Action, click the Edit button
        - In the Action field, ensure that the name of the action is specified
        ○ For example, for the open action, ensure that "open" is specified in the Action field
        Chris Price
        Co Founder | BIM Manager | Product Designer | B.Arch (QUT)
        Xrev Revit API Add-ins | Revit Rants

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Mr Spot View Post
          Clearly that shouldn't be happening. What operating system are you running?

          XP:
          - Launch Windows Explorer and go to Tools -> Folder Options (or Control Panel -> Appearances and Themes -> Folder Options)
          - Click the File Types tab
          - Browse to and select the Revit files types (RFA, RVT, RTE, RFT)
          - For each file type, click on the Advanced button
          - For each Action, click the Edit button
          - In the Action field, ensure that the name of the action is specified
          ○ For example, for the open action, ensure that "open" is specified in the Action field
          So does anyone know how to fix this in Windows 7 since the file type menu has been removed?? I am pretty sure it is a registry edit but I don't know exactly what the change should be.
          David J. Patera, Assoc. AIA, EDAC, LEED AP

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Scott D Davis View Post
            Yes, I HIGHLY recommend never double-clicking a file from explorer to open it. ALWAYS use the Open command from Revit to open files.
            Scott, could you expand on why this is? I have a ton of people at my office open their project to open revit, rather than opening revit then opening the project...

            Comment


              #7
              Yeah, I always double-click too...
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

              Comment

              Related Topics

              Collapse

              Working...
              X