Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bim Viewer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bim Viewer

    Does anyone know of any good BIM viewer. If someone in the office wants to look at the model or at the sheets is there a way of doing it other than putting a revit licence on their machine? I know Navisworks is available to look at the 3d model but is there anyway of looking at the rest of the model views. Thanks

    #2
    Revit has a viewer mode. Once the trial period ends the viewer is the only choice since you can't save any changes. I believe you can also modify the shortcut to always start in the viewer but that is dependent on people using the correct shortcut (taskbar shortcut vs desktop vs start menu)
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO


    chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

    Comment


      #3
      I put together this little article covering different ways you can share a Revit model with project stakeholders. It might help.

      https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/article/12516
      Jeff Hanson
      Sr. Subject Matter Expert
      Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

      Comment


        #4
        And another kitten has been killed.
        Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
          And another kitten has been killed.
          It is totally semantic but BIM Model is not technically an incorrect usage since BIM is a process, not an object; although it is a bit redundant.

          BIM: Building Information Modeling;
          Building information modeling (BIM) is a process involving the generation and management of digital representations of physical and functional characteristics of places (wikipedia)
          Modeling verb (used with object), modeled, modeling
          15. to form or plan according to a model.
          16. to give shape or form to; fashion.
          ...
          19. to simulate (a process, concept, or the operation of a system), commonly with the aid of a computer.
          Modelling | Define Modelling at Dictionary.com

          Therefore the end result of a BIM process is a model (ok technically it is a building), i.e. A BIM Model.

          /endnerdrant :hide:
          Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO


          chad
          BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by cellophane View Post
            It is totally semantic but BIM Model is not technically an incorrect usage since BIM is a process, not an object; although it is a bit redundant.

            BIM: Building Information Modeling;
            Building information modeling (BIM) is a process involving the generation and management of digital representations of physical and functional characteristics of places (wikipedia)
            Modeling verb (used with object), modeled, modeling
            15. to form or plan according to a model.
            16. to give shape or form to; fashion.
            ...
            19. to simulate (a process, concept, or the operation of a system), commonly with the aid of a computer.
            Modelling | Define Modelling at Dictionary.com

            Therefore the end result of a BIM process is a model (ok technically it is a building), i.e. A BIM Model.

            /endnerdrant :hide:
            Correct...there isn't a program called BIM. So hence, if there was a BIM Viewer, it would have to be able to view every single program that produces BIM Models.

            Oh...FYI... After the trial ends Revit does not default to the Viewer mode. You have to actually click the Revit Viewer shortcut in the programs list, else you get the 0 days left on trial screen.
            Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

            Comment


              #7
              At least you don't have to go to an ATM machine and enter your PIN number to get your BIM model out.
              Dave Plumb
              BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

              CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by DaveP View Post
                At least you don't have to go to an ATM machine and enter your PIN number to get your BIM model out.

                not yet anyway...
                I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
                  Oh...FYI... After the trial ends Revit does not default to the Viewer mode. You have to actually click the Revit Viewer shortcut in the programs list, else you get the 0 days left on trial screen.
                  d'oh. I thought it was the default - my bad.
                  Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO


                  chad
                  BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    No one recommends Revizto? It's excellent for it's purposes.

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaDg6osDpXA

                    And it's free.

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X