Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worksets and DropBox - how to do it without getting yourself in deep doodoo

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #51
    Paid for the yearly license....$900...Saves about 40 bucks a month.
    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

    Comment


      #52
      Originally posted by MPwuzhere
      Paid for the yearly license....$900...Saves about 40 bucks a month.
      Please check my math but this sort of experiment is helpful to visualize what failure might cost.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Steve_Stafford; January 9, 2019, 06:07 PM.

      Comment


        #53
        About the same cost here after exchange, but I have to buy two.

        Comment


          #54
          Originally posted by Rex Wave View Post
          About the same cost here after exchange, but I have to buy two.
          And? It's called "expenses" and add up to your total fees you charge your client. The fee you come up with bumps up slightly but for very good reasons. COGS is a normal part of business - learn to utilize it to your advantage. In the end your client is getting a better product because they'll never get the phone call with you explaining "Well our Revit files corrupted yesterday so we lost a lot of work and we'll have to recover our work lost so our deliverable will be delayed a week".

          Man.... MAN that's risky. Makes me shiver a little bit thinking about it, ha.

          -TZ
          Tannar Z. Frampton ™
          Frampton & Associates, Inc.

          Comment


            #55
            tzframpton, I kinda knew that, however, my contracts are fixed price, so I can't tack on various expenses. I have to eat them.
            I have bitten the bullet, as they say, and subscribed to BIM 360 Design. After two half days wasted trying to get it running with Autodesk chat support (you have to get the right person who can actually help - he was one level up from where I started), it's working very well, better than Dropbox, for sure. It seems to be a data pig (I pay by the GB here in rural Ontario, Canada), but we'll see. I can't get the Communicator working, probably due to my ignorance, but I'm reluctant to invest more time with tech support when I have a deadline approaching fast. Thanks to all for your comments, both positive and negative.

            Comment


              #56
              Originally posted by Rex Wave View Post
              tzframpton, I kinda knew that, however, my contracts are fixed price, so I can't tack on various expenses. I have to eat them.
              I have bitten the bullet, as they say, and subscribed to BIM 360 Design. After two half days wasted trying to get it running with Autodesk chat support (you have to get the right person who can actually help - he was one level up from where I started), it's working very well, better than Dropbox, for sure. It seems to be a data pig (I pay by the GB here in rural Ontario, Canada), but we'll see. I can't get the Communicator working, probably due to my ignorance, but I'm reluctant to invest more time with tech support when I have a deadline approaching fast. Thanks to all for your comments, both positive and negative.
              Forget communicator. It's gone in 2019 anyway.

              The initial setup is annoying. The project setup process is super annoying. And it's an internet data and hard drive hog.

              But it's galaxies better than fussing around with Dropbox. LOL

              Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

              Comment


                #57
                BTW, we have three bim360 licenses, and I'm the person that has to pay the bills as well. But I don't charge my clients extra to answer emails, so I can get email software, either. It's part of what we need to operate, so we do it.

                Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

                Comment


                  #58
                  Are then any obvious issues with using DropBox to "collaborate" on non-workshared models? I'm looking at doing some very small scale modelling and documentation work out of hours with 1 other person. The other person is primarily design and non-Revit related documentation, but will also want to get into Revit and do some modelling from time to time. Given the scale of the projects is small (residential renovations and small extensions) and the time spent is limited to a few hours here and there out of hours we're not really considering any paid options.

                  Obviously we will lose worksets functionality but again, given the scale of the projects this seems a small price to pay. And we would never work on the model without calling the other person first and making sure they're not doing any work on it at that time. I'm also planning on storing some templates and a small library of content on DropBox so that if either of us update families or create new ones then the other immediately has access to it.

                  Trying to store the model and library locally and constantly share back and fourth seems more risky than the DropBox route to me, not to mention pretty annoying. Any issues with our DropBox plan? Any other cheap (ideally free) alternatives that might perform better?

                  Comment


                    #59
                    Originally posted by LeChumpOfStultz View Post
                    Are then any obvious issues with using DropBox to "collaborate" on non-workshared models? ......
                    It had worked fine for non-workshare models, and I had done this with my extended tean. Notes:
                    • As you've noted, communication is key as there is no file locking
                    • I had not experienced any corruption with DropBop and Revit files. This might be old news, but an argument against Dropbox was how it supposedly syncs only changed sectors vs the whole file. Sector makes the sync faster. I seem to remember DB had someway of using the part of the previous Revit file on a save. But test it with a few rapid fire revit saves and see if DB can keep straight the file rename for backup/new file save that Revit does.
                    • Because of the whole new file on each save, if that what DB does now, you'll become painfully aware how slow your upload speed is.
                    Fred Blome
                    Residential Architect

                    Comment


                      #60
                      Originally posted by FBlome View Post
                      you'll become painfully aware how slow your upload speed is.
                      I didn't consider this but I'm suddenly having flash backs to just wanting to shut my computer down and not being able to because i have still another hour left to sync a relatively small file. I predict more of the same going forward, I'll try and be prepared

                      Other than that seems reasonably manageable, thanks for the feedback

                      Comment

                      Related Topics

                      Collapse

                      Working...
                      X