Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thickened Slab: "Could not create Slab Edge"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Thickened Slab: "Could not create Slab Edge"

    I'm trying to add a thickened slab edge to my floor slab. But when I attempt to use the profile that I made for this purpose, I get the old "Could not create Slab Edge" message. :banghead:

    My profile family is attached as well as a project file that I made for testing purposes (it has NOTHING but a slab).


    Here's a sketch of what I'm needing it to look like -- the green lines are the slab before adding any thickened edge. The red lines are the boundary of the desired thickening.

    RevitThickSlab.png
    Attached Files
    Don Ireland

    #2
    That doesn't seem to be a valid family. Try loading different family for this purpose.

    Comment


      #3
      You have an extra line hiding under the long vertical line.
      Delete it and reload and it works fine.
      Attached Files
      Mark Balsom

      If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks Mark. I'll look at that this afternoon. That's why I don't like the error messages Revit gives. If it had given me some kind of clue as to WHY it couldn't create the edge, I'm sure I would've found it. But to just say "Could not create Slab Edge" and be done with it, is not very helpful at all.
        Don Ireland

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by mark b View Post
          You have an extra line hiding under the long vertical line.
          Delete it and reload and it works fine.
          You da man!

          That was the cause of the error. Now having deleted the line, it places the slab edge. BUT it's not creating it the way I want it to. Here's a screenshot of what I see after applying this new slab edge.

          The horizontal portion of the parameters that I've been given refer to where the thickening meets the BOTTOM of the floor. The engineer wants this to be 16". But when I assigned that value in the slab, I got what you see in the screenshot. The heavy red line shows what I need to show. The heavy red dashed line is an extension of what it's drawing as the slab edge -- to illustrate what it's doing with the 16" dimension.
          RevitThickSlab2.png

          Any more good ideas?
          Don Ireland

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by doni49
            ...That's why I don't like the error messages Revit gives. If it had given me some kind of clue as to WHY it couldn't create the edge, I'm sure I would've found it. But to just say "Could not create Slab Edge" and be done with it, is not very helpful at all...
            The error message could certainly be written to mention that such an error may be related to a profile that isn't created properly. At this time, the error trapping process may not be able to reach deeply enough into the sketch mode process we use to create the Floor Slab Edge. Regardless, there is no reason the error message couldn't mention a common culprit, something to look for.

            Technically the error is in a component family and then evaluated as part of a system family that references it. In a sense it is too far removed from the active operation for Revit to properly recognize what's wrong precisely. It would help if, while saving a profile family type, Revit tested it for proper closed boundaries to help us catch errors while editing the family.

            I couldn't open your family at the moment, are you certain you've constrained the profile correctly to ensure it maintains the offsets properly? Revit doesn't use angles to constrain sketches so check your Automatic Sketch Dimensions to see if there is any broken logic.
            Last edited by Steve_Stafford; April 7, 2016, 08:20 PM.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
              The error message could certainly be written to mention that such an error may be related to a profile that isn't created properly. At this time, the error trapping process may not be able to reach deeply enough into the sketch mode process we use to create the Floor Slab Edge. Regardless, there is no reason the error message couldn't mention a common culprit, something to look for.

              Technically the error is in a component family and then evaluated as part of a system family that references it. In a sense it is too far removed from the active operation for Revit to properly recognize what's wrong precisely. It would help if, while saving a profile family type, Revit tested it for proper closed boundaries to help us catch errors while editing the family.
              I think that sums it up pretty well. And YES running a check when the family is created as opposed to when it's used would be more helpful. In fact, I really thought it wouldn't create the family unless it closed properly -- so I thought it was a problem with the slab.

              Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
              I couldn't open your family at the moment, are you certain you've constrained the profile correctly to ensure it maintains the offsets properly? Revit doesn't use angles to constrain sketches so check your Automatic Sketch Dimensions to see if there is any broken logic.
              Here's a screenshot of the family. The floor is 8" thick. The wall is 10" thick (wide). The slope looks to me like it should work.
              RevitThickSlab3.png

              DOH!! The slab edge wasn't using THIS version (even though it didn't give an error when I reloaded it). I just loaded it again and I'm seeing what I need.

              Thanks guys!
              Last edited by doni49; April 7, 2016, 08:57 PM.
              Don Ireland

              Comment


                #8
                well i would have loved to help though, but really having problems with footing thickness and the rest of slab of the building. wanting to have a different thickness of the footing and slabs but every time i tried doing so it always brings up the same thickness for both slabs and the footing. what may i do to have the thickness different?

                Comment

                Related Topics

                Collapse

                Working...
                X