Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3D solid modelling for components, Whats going Wrong???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    3D solid modelling for components, Whats going Wrong???

    Okay as my post suggests, i'm having a bit of an issue with solid modelling in revit:

    I started by modelling a new component in place, I've built what i want to portray a hanging basket (for plants) using a mixture of extrudes, blends and revolve in solids. It all seemed to look just how I wanted it when i finished the model but when i came to trying to move it around it behaved very strangely, i'd move it to the right and it would move up, i'd move down and only part of it would move (completely wappy). i went into edit the model in place and it then moved all of the individual pieces all over the place (as if some little virtual chav had hit it with a baseball bat). I have turned off all those restriction thingies while modelling so things can move about freelly as i request so why is this problem occurring????

    just a bit on my background, I can model just about anything I want in Autocad and I'm finding Revit to be very cumbersome ;( hoping you guys will rectify my errors and shine some light ;p
    Attached Files
    please visit my architectural site

    #2
    Could you post the family here?
    At least you're not asking how to import 3D-dwg's into revit, so you'll get some rep for trying!
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

    Comment


      #3
      Note he said "in-place". That is his problem. this type of family should not be modeled in place. when you model in place it creates references to the geometry where you are modeling. You need to make a component family.
      Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Jimidy View Post
        Okay as my post suggests, i'm having a bit of an issue with solid modelling in revit:

        I started by modelling a new component in place, I've built what i want to portray a hanging basket (for plants) using a mixture of extrudes, blends and revolve in solids. It all seemed to look just how I wanted it when i finished the model but when i came to trying to move it around it behaved very strangely, i'd move it to the right and it would move up, i'd move down and only part of it would move (completely wappy). i went into edit the model in place and it then moved all of the individual pieces all over the place (as if some little virtual chav had hit it with a baseball bat). I have turned off all those restriction thingies while modelling so things can move about freelly as i request so why is this problem occurring????

        just a bit on my background, I can model just about anything I want in Autocad and I'm finding Revit to be very cumbersome ;( hoping you guys will rectify my errors and shine some light ;p
        Have you tried to disassociate the massing from reference planes before making the copies?

        Cheers
        MW

        Comment


          #5
          If the family is going to be used more than once make a loadable family, not in-place.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by RabbitHole View Post
            Have you tried to disassociate the massing from reference planes before making the copies?

            Cheers
            yeah i've done that (i think) i think these guys might have hit the nail on the head with making it a loadable family, just gotta work out how.

            Can anyone explain why revit have made 3d modelling so much more complicated than what it is in ACAD??? i spotted a post about how hard it is to fillet edges, takes seconds in ACAD yet in Revit you have to mess around with subtracting voids, no slicing either, no shell or similar. I can see why people do ask the simple question "how do you import a dwg into revit, even then it's a pain in the backside to add materials lol, anyway better battle on as it seems alot of my clients are now requesting revit files
            please visit my architectural site

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by sdbrownaia View Post
              Note he said "in-place". That is his problem. this type of family should not be modeled in place. when you model in place it creates references to the geometry where you are modeling. You need to make a component family.
              Right, sorry. Missed that one. And yes, that most likely is the problem.
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Jimidy View Post
                yeah i've done that (i think) i think these guys might have hit the nail on the head with making it a loadable family, just gotta work out how.

                Can anyone explain why revit have made 3d modelling so much more complicated than what it is in ACAD??? i spotted a post about how hard it is to fillet edges, takes seconds in ACAD yet in Revit you have to mess around with subtracting voids, no slicing either, no shell or similar. I can see why people do ask the simple question "how do you import a dwg into revit, even then it's a pain in the backside to add materials lol, anyway better battle on as it seems alot of my clients are now requesting revit files
                ok, what is it with autocad-cracks coming to Revit and thinking they will learn this in a day or two or else it sucks. you know, I just got my first official autodesk in years installed. Tried to play around in 3D.
                IT SUCKED BIG TIME!!! IT'S A FREAKING MENACE TO TELL A VIRTUAL DRAWING BOARD THAT IT'S IN FACT A 3D MODELLER! IT'S JUST PLAIN STUPID!!! IT TOOK ME 2 FREAKING HOURS TO CREATE A SET OF WALLS AND I CAN'T EVEN SCHEDULE THEM! WHERE'S THE FREAKING PLACE ROOM BUTTON! WHY CAN'T I ADD MATERIAL PARAMETERS? WHY CAN'T I ASSIGN MULTIPLE LAYERS TO A WALL, DO YOU FREAKING MEAN TO TELL ME I HAVE TO MODEL ALL WALL LAYERS SEPARATELY???
                I almost went postal and threatened to physically abuse my precious (my pc that is) and then shut it off to goggle down a few beers. I'm allright now....

                The point is: give it time, try to learn from Youtube, blogs, this place, that other place and most important of all: lots and lots of trying and failing, and then form an opinion.

                About your question for creating a loadable family: R-button > New > Family. Make it a Generic Model, Face based. Good luck, and let us know if you have any questions?
                Martijn de Riet
                Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                MdR Advies
                Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Jimidy View Post
                  Can anyone explain why revit have made 3d modelling so much more complicated than what it is in ACAD??? i spotted a post about how hard it is to fillet edges, takes seconds in ACAD yet in Revit you have to mess around with subtracting voids, no slicing either, no shell or similar. I can see why people do ask the simple question "how do you import a dwg into revit, even then it's a pain in the backside to add materials lol, anyway better battle on as it seems alot of my clients are now requesting revit files
                  Because when it is a way better program, that has way more data, and does way better things, it means objects have to play by rules. Rules make things complicated. Every time i hear a user whine and cry about how easy Sketch Up is, i tell them im more than happy to let them use it, as long as it can generate a good set of drawings from its model, and quantify materials and export a solid model for Coordination and Fabrication.

                  When autocad is capable of all that (Or ACA for that matter, and before you ask, i was one of the best i knew at ACA, and the tool still sucked), ill worry about how hard it is to make a 3D fillet. LOL.
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                    Because when it is a way better program, that has way more data, and does way better things, it means objects have to play by rules. ...
                    Well said, Aaron. I totally agree with those reasons.

                    When autocad is capable of all that (Or ACA for that matter, and before you ask, i was one of the best i knew at ACA, and the tool still sucked), ill worry about how hard it is to make a 3D fillet. LOL.
                    About ADT, or ACA: I used to love that program, and I too was very good at it, and I did a lot of work, good work, with that program, using almost all its features, for about five years, but I stopped using it some 5 years ago, when I discovered Revit, and the main reason to make the switch was because I recognized that Revit was better, it was what I was waiting for, for all the good reasons that Aaron has mentioned above, and some more.
                    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X