Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Profiled Family

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Profiled Family

    I need to create an Embed Angle that has Nelson Studs every 2 feet or so...

    The first approach I took is to just do an extruded profile, but I can not seem to have the ability to control what profile is being used outside family editor.

    The second approach was to take the structural framing Angle and change the family type to Structural connection, but Revit hates that too and gives me an error saying to change the type back to structural framing.

    Any other suggestions on how to do this?

    #2
    Make a line-based family for the angle, make a separate family for the Nelson stud and load it into the angle family as a nested component, then create an array parameter that controls the spacing of the studs. Would that do what you're after?

    Arcturis
    BIM Manager
    Associate Architect

    Comment


      #3
      Do you need it in a lot of sizes? I am also curious why you changed the angle family to structural connections. Is the angle a connection, or a peice of framing.

      post your family and i can take a shot at getting it working.
      -Alex Cunningham

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by rosskirby View Post
        Make a line-based family for the angle, make a separate family for the Nelson stud and load it into the angle family as a nested component, then create an array parameter that controls the spacing of the studs. Would that do what you're after?
        Thats what I have exactly, but doing it this way it will not allow the profile to change to another size angle other than editing the family every time.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
          Do you need it in a lot of sizes? I am also curious why you changed the angle family to structural connections. Is the angle a connection, or a peice of framing.

          post your family and i can take a shot at getting it working.
          It really isn't framing, it is much more part of the connection. I have it as structural framing now, but I can not seem to control the length of the angle in the family now either...

          Comment


            #6
            You have to have the profile nested with linked paramets to control the profile. This is kinda complicated when dealing with steel sizes. :-\
            -Alex Cunningham

            Comment


              #7
              So I got it to work, I loaded the strucural framing angle and just have it placed. The thing to note is that Revit can not extend both ends at the same time...so one end has to be locked at 0 and then just control the length by extending the other end.

              The issue I have now is that the nelson studs are just a normal family so when I load it into the project I have all the stud sizes. However, the angle since it is a catalog family only has the one shape I have loaded into the family...can I not have a base shape loaded in a family and then control what type it is with a label in the project when it comes to cataloged families?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by gdoherty0102 View Post
                So I got it to work, I loaded the strucural framing angle and just have it placed. The thing to note is that Revit can not extend both ends at the same time...so one end has to be locked at 0 and then just control the length by extending the other end.

                The issue I have now is that the nelson studs are just a normal family so when I load it into the project I have all the stud sizes. However, the angle since it is a catalog family only has the one shape I have loaded into the family...can I not have a base shape loaded in a family and then control what type it is with a label in the project when it comes to cataloged families?
                Needs to be shared...

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by gdoherty0102 View Post
                  So I got it to work, I loaded the strucural framing angle and just have it placed. The thing to note is that Revit can not extend both ends at the same time...so one end has to be locked at 0 and then just control the length by extending the other end.

                  The issue I have now is that the nelson studs are just a normal family so when I load it into the project I have all the stud sizes. However, the angle since it is a catalog family only has the one shape I have loaded into the family...can I not have a base shape loaded in a family and then control what type it is with a label in the project when it comes to cataloged families?
                  I believe you can have the studs extend both ways. You need to create a refplane in the middle which defines origin and dimension from there.

                  About the changing of types in cataloged families: I think you cannot do this.
                  Martijn de Riet
                  Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                  MdR Advies
                  Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Ok, so here is my family. It works fine in family editor, but as soon as I load it into the project the angle stays 6'7" short of what it needs to be. I can not figure out why the extents of the angle once loaded in the project are not staying where they are locked in the family. What the heck!!:whiskey::whiskey:

                    Like I said the angle needs to just grow from the left as it does and I have made both the studs and the angle a shared family as they are since this will allow me to use their catalogs through the nest.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X