Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detail Numbers in Schedules

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Detail Numbers in Schedules

    Does anybody know a way to intelligently link a detail number into a schedule. The example I'm working with is our door schedule where we have fields for the jamb, head and sill details.

    Is there a way to, at best, have detail views that are associated with a family (ex: a door family) and can be called on in a schedule if they are visible on a sheet; or, at worst, have the field as a drop down box that lists the views that I can choose from?

    #2
    Hi Brakware,

    I am happy for one of the gurus to correct me, but to the best of my knowledge there is no way to achieve this within revit alone.

    The are a number of manual methods - spreadsheet to detail view shcedule and the align the detail view schedule adjacent to the door schedule etc. but as I say, I don't think it can be done within Revit alone.

    fwiw. Quick Table by Tools4Revit is the best spreadsheet to revit converter I have found.

    It is available from http://www.karelcad.com.au/Tools4Revit.htm well worth a look.

    Cheers,
    Ian Kidston
    http://allextensions.com.au

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Ian.Kidston View Post
      Hi Brakware,

      I am happy for one of the gurus to correct me, but to the best of my knowledge there is no way to achieve this within revit alone.

      The are a number of manual methods - spreadsheet to detail view shcedule and the align the detail view schedule adjacent to the door schedule etc. but as I say, I don't think it can be done within Revit alone.

      fwiw. Quick Table by Tools4Revit is the best spreadsheet to revit converter I have found.

      It is available from http://www.karelcad.com.au/Tools4Revit.htm well worth a look.

      Cheers,
      I mentioned in another thread today that I use Dotsoft's XL2CAD software to do what Tools4Revit does. The disadvantage in XL2CAD use is that it requires AutoCAD as a "middle man" but the advantage is that once you have your spreadsheet in a Revit drafting view via an Acad link you never need to fiddle with it in Revit (or Acad). Just change the spreadsheet in Excel and it automatically updates in Acad and then updates in Revit.
      I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by brakware View Post
        Does anybody know a way to intelligently link a detail number into a schedule. The example I'm working with is our door schedule where we have fields for the jamb, head and sill details.

        ...
        Link the detail number? No. Link a view to the schedule? No. Probably what gets you closer to having a list of details is a key schedule. Make a list of your details as a key schedule. Then, include the key field into the door schedule. At least, this will give a list of your details to choose from, but they will be only references. There won´t be any automatic association with the actual views.
        Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
          Link the detail number? No. Link a view to the schedule? No. Probably what gets you closer to having a list of details is a key schedule. Make a list of your details as a key schedule. Then, include the key field into the door schedule. At least, this will give a list of your details to choose from, but they will be only references. There won´t be any automatic association with the actual views.
          Exactly what i was going to suggest. Its still completely up to the user, but so are the extensions and tools that run. And generally, i find tools and add ons to be not worth the hassle, unless they provide a LARGE (and i do mean large) benefit to the project team, for the investment of support and installation plus purchase. The door renumberer, sheet count, blah blah, just dont make the cut, for me.

          Using an add on for this can still be wrong, if you forget to run the add on. As long as thats the case, you might as well just have a key schedule to go manually check, since its on you as a user anyway.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks for the tips. I think that, if we decide in our office to not scrap including detail view numbers in our schedules, the key schedule might be the best bet.

            I do think that this is another one of those areas where Revit is sorely lacking. They like to stress how it's a databse, and, yet, there are so many simple things that you can do with a database that you can't seem to do with Revit. You should be able to have a "detail view" parameter type that you can relate to another view in the project. Revit already sees each view as a unique object, so there's no reason it shouldn't be able to be referenced in a parameter and return null if the view ceases to exist or is unassigned.

            Now, off of my soapbox... I will try out the key schedule idea. It will take more coordination than I would like, but... oh well.

            Comment


              #7
              Is there a way to create a text symbol similar to a callout that references a previously created view? In that respect you could drop the symbol (that's just text) and tie it to a detail view. You could then place that little bit of text into a paragraph string or schedule. While not perfect, and requires you to move the symbol around if the text changes around it, but at least you'd know that you were tied to the correct detail reference.

              Comment


                #8
                I see were you are going with this and I was thinking something similar. After messing around quickly its not possible to have multiple callout heads in a project. So you could edit a callout head to do what you want but then every callout head would look that way.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I've removed the detail ref. from my schedules and no one has missed them. We do the elevations of the full door type asseblies and call out the details from them. We show a little of the surrounding walls and trim. this way its true bim and no user error. So if there is the same type of door in more than one type of wall we give it a new type number and a new elevation and schedule it. You end up with a few more elevations than the traditional Frame and panel elevations, but not enough to make it worth keying in the details into a schedule.
                  Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

                  Comment

                  Related Topics

                  Collapse

                  Working...
                  X