Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Door frames

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Door frames

    Is it possible for the door frames to join to the wall which is hosting it?
    In the attached image there is a thick line between the frame and wall, I'd like for it to go bye-bye.
    Attached Files

    #2
    Also, a question about widths and hosting:

    If I have an exterior wall, or an existing masonry wall that I'd like to put a door in, the frame ends up going to the outside of the wall, even if it's an 18" thick wall. My door frame obviously isn't 18" thick, short of creating an opening in the wall and adding a 5" thick wall that infills it and putting the door in that wall is there another way around this?

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by stl4310 View Post
      Is it possible for the door frames to join to the wall which is hosting it?
      In the attached image there is a thick line between the frame and wall, I'd like for it to go bye-bye.

      [ATTACH]1542[/ATTACH]
      Honestly, it looks correct to me. Those are 2 different components. I'm not sure how you would get rid of it.

      Originally posted by stl4310 View Post
      Also, a question about widths and hosting:

      If I have an exterior wall, or an existing masonry wall that I'd like to put a door in, the frame ends up going to the outside of the wall, even if it's an 18" thick wall. My door frame obviously isn't 18" thick, short of creating an opening in the wall and adding a 5" thick wall that infills it and putting the door in that wall is there another way around this?
      Try adding a reference plane where you want the edge of the frame to be. For example 2" from the exterior of the wall. Name the reference plane. Create your frame on that named reference plane. Then, dimension the reference plane to the exterior of the wall and either lock it or make it a paramter (if you want to change this dimension for certain conditions).

      That should work. If anyone else has a better way, they will post it. I'm still a relative noob. :laugh:
      Dan

      Comment


        #4
        Right, they are different components, but graphically I want my cut line to read much clearer. I can join walls to have a clear, clean cut line, I'd like to do the same with my doors.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by stl4310 View Post
          Right, they are different components, but graphically I want my cut line to read much clearer. I can join walls to have a clear, clean cut line, I'd like to do the same with my doors.
          Make that frames to be nested and shared generic model families with the same material as the wall. Then join them with the wall. (in 2011 it works like this)

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by gaby424 View Post
            Make that frames to be nested and shared generic model families with the same material as the wall. Then join them with the wall. (in 2011 it works like this)
            You mean I need to recreate the door family as a generic model?

            Comment


              #7
              No. The door family will be door template. but the geometry from the frames you need to join should be in another family from a generic model template. The generic "frame" family will then be shared and nested to the door family.

              Comment


                #8
                Should I make the frame family just a "generic family?" I have tried that and now I think I need to show a wall which hosts my frame? I created the door family and now it is not cutting my frame in plan (just showing the thickness of the frame all the way across the door opening) and the frame is not flush to the wall.

                I've uploaded both familes, if anyone can help.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Munkholm; April 24, 2011, 11:37 AM. Reason: Made files "not-inline"

                Comment


                  #9
                  Can anyone help me with this?

                  Also, it seems to me that the stock Revit doors need some work. They don't really include frames, only trim, which isn't very helpful.

                  Also, I find it difficult to control where my door is placed. For instance, I have an exterior wall which is 18" thick, yet Revit puts the door at the very outside of the wall and then creates an 18" deep trim/frame. Obviously the frame would not be this deep, the frame would be inserted inside of the opening. Does this mean that I should be creating openings for doors and then creating infill walls which are thin upon which to host my doors?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by stl4310 View Post
                    Can anyone help me with this?

                    Also, it seems to me that the stock Revit doors need some work. They don't really include frames, only trim, which isn't very helpful.

                    Also, I find it difficult to control where my door is placed. For instance, I have an exterior wall which is 18" thick, yet Revit puts the door at the very outside of the wall and then creates an 18" deep trim/frame. Obviously the frame would not be this deep, the frame would be inserted inside of the opening. Does this mean that I should be creating openings for doors and then creating infill walls which are thin upon which to host my doors?
                    have you seen this post ? Some good stuff about doors and frames contained therein
                    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X