Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 1869 USD (75%)

Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Placing Mech Equipment Families on Project with Linked Model

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    April 25, 2014
    Location
    Elllesmere Port, Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    97
    Current Local Time
    10:47 PM

    Placing Mech Equipment Families on Project with Linked Model

    Can anyone advice, i can place equipment easily on a normal building Layout, but as soon as i create a project with a linked file it wont let me.
    i can not place equipment onto walls, so what is best method to do this, do i use reference planes?
    i have used same building as a test and everything is ok, but when i link the building into a new project i can not insert equipment.
    where am i going wrong.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 31, 2012
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    179
    Current Local Time
    06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fifthtexas View Post
    Can anyone advice, i can place equipment easily on a normal building Layout, but as soon as i create a project with a linked file it wont let me.
    i can not place equipment onto walls, so what is best method to do this, do i use reference planes?
    i have used same building as a test and everything is ok, but when i link the building into a new project i can not insert equipment.
    where am i going wrong.

    I would take a step back and read what the error message is(if you are even getting one?) or can you just not see it?

    using reference planes is certainly not the answer....and hte family is not the problem either


    check your levels compared to the linked models levels that's where i would start

    there is a huge list on here some where of what to check if you can't see what you are trying to place

    but again all comes down to what exactly revit is saying when you try to place it

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    April 25, 2014
    Location
    Elllesmere Port, Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    97
    Current Local Time
    10:47 PM

    Families into linked in project

    Hi
    i have been able to now put my families into the project with the linked file, it seems that they have to be faced based, it does work but the process of changing each family is a pain, having to start new project, create wall, add you families, then create another project and link that project in, then use copy/monitor and have to open the family and save it. must be a simpler way.i will try your method see if that works
    many thanks for your input.

    Quote Originally Posted by wgfletch View Post
    I would take a step back and read what the error message is(if you are even getting one?) or can you just not see it?

    using reference planes is certainly not the answer....and hte family is not the problem either


    check your levels compared to the linked models levels that's where i would start

    there is a huge list on here some where of what to check if you can't see what you are trying to place

    but again all comes down to what exactly revit is saying when you try to place it

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 31, 2012
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    179
    Current Local Time
    06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fifthtexas View Post
    Hi
    i have been able to now put my families into the project with the linked file, it seems that they have to be faced based, it does work but the process of changing each family is a pain, having to start new project, create wall, add you families, then create another project and link that project in, then use copy/monitor and have to open the family and save it. must be a simpler way.i will try your method see if that works
    many thanks for your input.


    ahhh you are upgrading these families? there is no better way to change that face based and "wall" based issue from like 10' or what ever

  5. #5
    Member Lkenshalo's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 27, 2014
    Location
    Seattle, Wa
    Posts
    248
    Current Local Time
    01:47 PM
    These families you're using are optimized for the architectural side, you'll notice most MEP content is face based. Try another family perhaps? When selecting your family make sure to pick from the MEP mech families and not the arch families(see below).

    I believe you can pop the family open and check the "work plane based' option in the type properties and host it to reference planes but I'm not certain about the ease of placing the family vertically on a wall, you'll have to play around there and let us know if it works for you.

    A bit easier than the whole copy/monitor in a dummy project method but unfortunately still not the 'easy' button you're looking for.




Similar Threads

  1. Automated Placing of Families in a Project
    By Crusty in forum Third party Add-Ins, API and R&D
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 5th, 2014, 09:30 AM
  2. Families not placing in phase
    By cellophane in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 12th, 2013, 05:53 PM
  3. Preview of Structual Column Orientation when placing in the Model
    By Joshua Kohl in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: March 19th, 2012, 07:31 PM
  4. Placing In-Place Families in Legend view
    By Hammad in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 18th, 2011, 05:43 AM
  5. Specialty Equipment - Project or Shared Parameters
    By DaveP in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 25th, 2011, 01:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •