Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 3000 USD, Received: 1207 USD (40%)

Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Andres Franco
  • 1 Post By josephpeel
  • 1 Post By usisseven

Thread: Having 2D look different than the 3D model in the plans

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 17, 2018
    Posts
    4
    Current Local Time
    02:34 PM

    Having 2D look different than the 3D model in the plans

    Hello Everybody,

    I have been searching for it for a while but unfortunately, I couldn't find a satisfying answer for that. I have this generic switch panel for the electro plan from Revit.

    When I create the plans they look like plain boxes in the floor plan. See picture 1.

    But I need it to look like picture 2 in the 2D floor plan and I want the 3D plan to stay same. So it is just a "symbol" for the switch panel in our project.

    I have seen that some families have Generic Annotation for it but it changes size with the scale, I want the 2D body to be exactly correct size. I just want this hatch to appear there. And I want to add it to family, so I dont have to copy / draw it over and over again for each switch panel.

    How can I do this?

    I hope my question was clear enough

    Thank you all!
    Loves,
    Okan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Having 2D look different than the 3D model in the plans-2.png   Having 2D look different than the 3D model in the plans-1.png  

  2. #2
    Senior Member Andres Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 21, 2012
    Location
    Tours, France
    Posts
    937
    Current Local Time
    02:34 PM
    Hi, I guess you are looking for something like this (See image) if YES, you need to do this:

    1. Model your switch panel having the detail level you need!, The idea can be to model a simple box, but I prefer to model the object as accurate as possible to it's real appearance!
    2. You need to create a Detail Element or at least is the way I'll do it, you can add some parameters for the size and so on, once your detail is ready, you must insert it into the 3D family and align it with your 3D Object, and if you prefer you can hide the 3D objects and only left the detail item.
    3. Upload it into the project

    Hope this can help you

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Having 2D look different than the 3D model in the plans-electrical-fixtures_2.jpg  
    Last edited by Andres Franco; May 18th, 2018 at 06:17 AM.
    cganiere and WelcomeToAccord like this.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 17, 2018
    Posts
    4
    Current Local Time
    02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Andres Franco View Post
    Hi, I guess you are looking for something like this (See image) if YES, you need to do this:

    1. Model your switch panel having the detail level you need!, The idea can be to model a simple box, but I prefer to model the object as accurate as possible to it real appearance!
    2. You need to create a Detail Element or at least is the way I'll do it, you can add some parameters for the size and so on, once your detail is ready, you must insert it into the 3D family and align it with your 3D Object
    3. Upload it into the project

    Hope this can help you
    Thank you for your answer!

    I am not 100 % sure if it would work for me, but I am going to give it a try! When I try to use the detail elements, Revit tells me that there is no detail elemen family loaded in my project, so I need to chose one. But I am failing to find a blank 2D geometry as a layout for my detail element. Which one did you use for the example you have?

    Thanks!
    Okan

  4. #4
    Forum Addict josephpeel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 3, 2012
    Posts
    1,396
    Current Local Time
    02:34 PM
    Personally I always put a detail item in all my MEP families. Its so common that you want to show something symbolically as well as in 3D that its good to leave it in there even if its not visible.
    The detail item can be turned on or off with a visibility parameter and the symbol selected with a type parameter. So if someone needs to show a new symbol they can simply load it into the family and then select for new types in the project.

    I would suggest you use the Detail Item family template that comes with Revit and then make a standard template to use for new symbols.
    Its a good idea to use a different line type in the detail items, so if you need to you can filter out your own symbols from ones in the architectural models. (But only make 1 new line type... having loads of different lines to manage is a pain).

    If you find you are using a lot of symbols (For example all the different electrical fixture symbols) or you use the same symbols a lot in multiple families, it can be a pain to load/manage/change them all and keep them consistent. In that case you might want to take it to the next level;
    Just 1 set of Shared detail items in your Project Template and 1 default symbol in each family with a Family Type parameter. Then maintaining and setting the symbols can all be done in the project with Edit Type instead of in many families.
    Last edited by josephpeel; May 17th, 2018 at 03:53 PM.
    WelcomeToAccord likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Andres Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 21, 2012
    Location
    Tours, France
    Posts
    937
    Current Local Time
    02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by josephpeel View Post
    I would suggest you use the Detail Item family template that comes with Revit and then make a standard template to use for new symbols.
    Its a good idea to use a different line type in the detail items, so if you need to you can filter out your own symbols from ones in the architectural models. (But only make 1 new line type... having loads of different lines to manage is a pain).
    Wow, this is a great tip thank's

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 17, 2018
    Posts
    4
    Current Local Time
    02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by josephpeel View Post
    Personally I always put a detail item in all my MEP families. Its so common that you want to show something symbolically as well as in 3D that its good to leave it in there even if its not visible.
    The detail item can be turned on or off with a visibility parameter and the symbol selected with a type parameter. So if someone needs to show a new symbol they can simply load it into the family and then select for new types in the project.

    I would suggest you use the Detail Item family template that comes with Revit and then make a standard template to use for new symbols.
    Its a good idea to use a different line type in the detail items, so if you need to you can filter out your own symbols from ones in the architectural models. (But only make 1 new line type... having loads of different lines to manage is a pain).

    If you find you are using a lot of symbols (For example all the different electrical fixture symbols) or you use the same symbols a lot in multiple families, it can be a pain to load/manage/change them all and keep them consistent. In that case you might want to take it to the next level;
    Just 1 set of Shared detail items in your Project Template and 1 default symbol in each family with a Family Type parameter. Then maintaining and setting the symbols can all be done in the project with Edit Type instead of in many families.
    thank you for your answer and it is correct! the best way is to get a detail family and draw it. I even could match the parameters in my family and if I change the size of the 3D Volume, the detail symbol also changes!
    Thank you all!
    WelcomeToAccord likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Creating HVAC Layouts use ceiling plans or Floor Plans
    By fifthtexas in forum MEP - General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: October 23rd, 2017, 09:58 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 19th, 2013, 10:15 PM
  3. How Do I Create Floor Plans From Linked Model
    By domsib in forum MEP - General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 5th, 2012, 08:39 AM
  4. Recieved First Architect Model - No Floor Plans in properties pallette
    By domsib in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 15th, 2012, 10:59 AM
  5. Revit OpEd: Ceiling Plans and Generic Model Families
    By Revit OpEd in forum Blog Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 13th, 2012, 04:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •