Structural Detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Structural Detailing

As of this post. (I say this because people can change my mind) We use drafting views for 98% of our detailing. This allows us to copy the detail from project to project or copy it out of our growing Detail Library.

What are you doing for details?

How much Structural Modeling are you doing? (Rebar, Bolts, Light Gague)
    -Alex Cunningham

I'm glad you said that. I've been told over and over to use live sections. Which I do. The problem is most of my buildings are built the same way. Not to mention, you can't just slide a live section marker over to another beam. You lose all the annotation.

Live sections are great when it's a one-off. I'm seriously thinking about doing drafting views and creating a library.
    Dan

Comment

Do whatever makes the most sense for your end goal for the project and possible future projects.

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
        I'm glad you said that. I've been told over and over to use live sections. Which I do. The problem is most of my buildings are built the same way. Not to mention, you can't just slide a live section marker over to another beam. You lose all the annotation.

Live sections are great when it's a one-off. I'm seriously thinking about doing drafting views and creating a library.
        This is the danger though...you start to feel that most of the buildings and conditions are the same, but the second you start using typs rather than cutting live you are going to miss a detail you thought was the same but really wasn't. You would see it by cutting a live section, but miss it by doing typs.

Comment

Originally posted by gdoherty0102 View Post
          This is the danger though...you start to feel that most of the buildings and conditions are the same, but the second you start using typs rather than cutting live you are going to miss a detail you thought was the same but really wasn't. You would see it by cutting a live section, but miss it by doing typs.
          What if its modeled wrong? Either way spend time on the model or making sure your details are correct. With drafting views you dont ever spend 4 hours trying to get your detail to work right, and you can copy to a new project.
          -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
            What if its modeled wrong? Either way spend time on the model or making sure your details are correct. With drafting views you dont ever spend 4 hours trying to get your detail to work right, and you can copy to a new project.
            If that's the case there is this other program called Autocad that makes this process very efficient. If you are not modeling correctly, using live sections, what benefits are you getting out of using Revit? Having a 3D model to look at?

Comment

I just use Revit so I can try to fit in on this forum. :laugh:
              Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
                As of this post. (I say this because people can change my mind) We use drafting views for 98% of our detailing. This allows us to copy the detail from project to project or copy it out of our growing Detail Library.

What are you doing for details?

How much Structural Modeling are you doing? (Rebar, Bolts, Light Gague)
                I really like the idea of this new sub-forum. I think I will be lurking a lot :-)

I would actually like to rephrase the question to not what your currently doing, but what you would like to be doing. Where do you see the industry going? What is the future of this BIM model? What's holding you back from these goals? Performance? Usability? Features?

Thanks,
                Erik
                Erik Snell, P.E.
                Factory Worker (Principal User Experience Designer)
                I am an Autodesk employee and the opinions or commentary I provide are my own and not necessarily that of Autodesk, Inc.

Comment

This is a very open ended discussion IMO

Some projects will use almost no standard details, as they simply will not apply. Others you may be able to rely on 2D drafting views more easily. There is no simple rule, and it should be decided on each indvidual project

But I would add that with some good preparation in your librararies you can very quickly detail live sections accurately. This starts with some easy to use detail components, and then creating a library of pre-prepared drafting views in a template file which you can then import the 2D annotation straight into a live section. The only downside to this workflow is the model changing will require reworking of the 2D annotation.

You can get around this somewhat with more intelligent detail components which you can lock to live elements.

3D connection families are the next step, but IMO there are still quite a few limitations with them at the moment. Thats for another discussion though
                  Revit BLOGGAGE

http://www.revic.org.au

Comment

Originally posted by Ben-May View Post
                    This is a very open ended discussion IMO

Some projects will use almost no standard details, as they simply will not apply. Others you may be able to rely on 2D drafting views more easily. There is no simple rule, and it should be decided on each indvidual project

But I would add that with some good preparation in your librararies you can very quickly detail live sections accurately. This starts with some easy to use detail components, and then creating a library of pre-prepared drafting views in a template file which you can then import the 2D annotation straight into a live section. The only downside to this workflow is the model changing will require reworking of the 2D annotation.

You can get around this somewhat with more intelligent detail components which you can lock to live elements.

3D connection families are the next step, but IMO there are still quite a few limitations with them at the moment. Thats for another discussion though
                    I completely agree, and that's partly why my firm does not like doing live views...all their drafting views are 90% detail lines :banghead:

You can also aid your self by creating smarter components, such as slab edges with multiple parts.

Comment