Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Groups or Assemblies

Hi,

When we have larger sheds that have the same rafter ‘configuration’ throughout I use groups . IE I select all the rafters in the span and then group them together and then copy the group as required.
    The problem I have had that sometimes when I edit the group say change one of the rafter sizes it makes the members of the group move. I haven’t been able to pin point what is causing this problem but I think it might be when I include a ref plane in the group. The ref plane might be used to for example cutting the rafters etc.
    For the above example is it better to use assemblies? We are not really using assemblies in our documentation though.

Thanks,
    Jh

If you make a change to one assembly, it will become a new, different assembly, and none of the other assemblies will change.
    -Assemblies do not enforce uniform Geometry
    -Assemblies track differences between Assemblies of the same category.

However, knowing this, I'm not sure what would be the best to use in your case.

Joe

Comment

I think this really depends on your version as well. Are you using Revit 2012? Then use Groups, as assemblies in 2012 are extremely difficult to modify and track. Are you using Revit 2013? Then I may lean a little more towards assemblies as their functionality increased greatly from 2012 to 2013.

Comment