Beginner type questions - rebar detailing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginner type questions - rebar detailing

Greetings from Texas! I'm trying to learn how to detail rebar in Revit Structure 2012 for concrete reinforcement. I went through an intense week long training back in October, however I just started using Revit last week and I have a few questions that I hope I can get your collective expertise.

-------------------

Why does Revit only allow you to input a side clearance that’s uniform to all sides? In concrete reinforcement some members have different side clearances? Is there a solution?

When using the reinforcement extensions why does it only give me 4 types of stirrups to choose from when Revit itself allows me to choose from a full spectrum of stirrup types.

Is there any way to constrain rebar in a member so that the dimensions won’t change. Example – I drew a concrete beam, added all rebar from out to out of concrete. I drew another beam and made a 90 degree connection and it effected the rebar by shrinking it to the inside face of the intersecting beam.

Why does Revit tell me that it can’t solve a rebar shape? Example – I’m trying to reinforce a 54” x 54” square concrete column. It needs 32 #11 bars with dimensions as follows (using a type 6 bend) :
    B = 3’-10”, C = 1’-0½”, D = 6’-9”, H = 0’-3½”, K = 1’-0”. There are to be no standard hooks for the A and G dimensions and the O dimension should be 11’-7”. When I input these dimensions into Revit it gives me the error message.

Also, when trying to place rebar in a column and I need 32 vertical bars how can I tell Revit that the 32 bars need to be placed with 9 on one side and 8 on all others. In other words, do I have to place the bars per each side (using the command four separate times to reinforce one column).

I'm having a terrible time making a reference plane that can be seen in plan view. I want to see the beams, slabs so that I can place rebar in plan view.

-------------------

I can attach my model if need be. If there is any special things I need to do to the model before I attach it please let me know.

I look forward to the responses.

Thanks.

Mike

1) This is correct that the cover is uniform all the way around an element. Set your cover to your minimum clear then you can adjust your bar size for the other face. Also, typically the only time I have seen different covers would be for a column that is part of a foundation wall as well. This should be taken care of automatically by revit as your wall will have the controlling outside cover typically.

2) I would not recommend using the extension because the bars it generates do not seem to conform to CRSI standard shapes. Most on here that do Rebar detailing find the extensions to be a hindrance.

3) This is a known issue that many of us have brought up to Autodesk. I know they are looking into this. The only way that we have found to fix this is to group the rebar. This works pretty well for the most part but does take some auto-intelligence out of the bars (ie If your wall gets taller your bars will no longer get longer with the wall...) We have gotten to the point that all of our rebar is placed in Groups dependent on the pour the bar is in.

4) What are you doing to A & G? if you do not want A & G your rebar shape would typically be a 31. It is the same bar without the hooks. (On a side note, the 31 bar is one of the main reasons we started grouping our bars. This bar outside groups can give you a headache...) You can not set leg lengths to 0 if that is how you are controlling A&G

5) Unfortunately placing bars on each side is the way to do it right now. There are currently requests out to allow revit to do non-linear sets...(Square for column, circular for piers.

6) I typically recommend that you place at least one bar in a section of the element. Slabs/beams are no different. You can place one bar in section and then go back to plan and copy them around, but placing bars in plan does not work/work well.

Let me know if you have any further questions. We do a lot of Rebar detailing here at my firm.

Comment

I'm just very new to this software. I didn't expect it to be so time-consuming to detail rebar with laps. As you must know some engineers want 4 different stirrups (i.e. - S3 outer stirrup, two S3 inner stirrups, a T9 stirrup cap that all need to be placed at 3" from the first support (column), then offset from each support 4 at 12" then the remainder that 24" O.C. What I've had to do is draw all three in section, then move them over to the face of the support, then move them 3" inches in from supports, then copy the 4 @ 12", then the remainder at 24". That's a lot of work. There has to be a better way.

Another thing I'm having trouble with is when I try to place rebar and I input the lengths that I want it defaults back to out to out with cover. In other words, if I want to place a 60'-0" stock bar in a slab that will lap 30" with a 34'-2" bar, I place the 60'-0" bar and it automatically reverts back to out to out w/cover to 98'-10". Then I have to go back and change the dimension of the bar, copy the bar "X" amount of times at the right spacing.

Now to answer your question, I didn't see a 31 bend in Revit. I saw 00-24 then "Rebar Shape 1" so on and so forth. Perhaps "Rebar Shape 4" would've been best.

I'm the only one in this office trying to use Revit for future 3D rebar detailing so it's hard because I don't have an in-office resource that can teach me good techniques, shortcuts, tricks, etc.

Comment