Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphical Column Schedule

Hello,

I am looking for the best way to produce a graphical column schedule or regular schedule that contains all the information that a industry standard schedule contains. With the revit GCS being pretty much uncustomizable I'm interested in hearing how others are creating their column schedule. Do you use a GCS or do you just use a schedule in lieu of the GCS or do you use a combination of both? I would love to see examples.

I attached an example column schedule sheet from how we do it in AutoCad.

Thank you,

Jerry Pascucci
    Attached Files

I'm afraid this will be very difficult to do in Revit. Only thing I can imagine is that you're going to create some sort of smart Generic Annotation family with labels, parametrized dummy columns and that sort of thing. Won't be able to coordinate it with your project though.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

I understand. I'm looking for the best BIM way. How do you do it? Do you show a GCS at all or do you use a text base revit schedule? I'm trying to hear what the BIM industry standard is.

Thanks

Comment

There are some aspects in which you need to compromise with what Revit has already available for the Graphical Column Schedules (GCS), and then let go of the old graphics from AutoCAD. There are some things in your pdf example that might not be possible, such as the dimensions you use to indicate the offset from level, but that can be replaced with the "Offset from level" parameter that can be shown in a separate regular Structural Column schedule.

About customizing the GCS, Revit provides options for the appearance of text and grids, and it lets you choose what levels to show, and you can split the schedule in parts, too. You can change the detail level of the columns. About showing more information on the schedule, such as plate, anchor, etc., the way you do it is by adding info to the columns, either in their instance or type parameters, local or shared, and then tagging the columns over the GCS, which means you need to modify the Structural Column Tags to include all the parameters that you want to show in the schedule. You can tag columns more than once, with different tags, if that is necessary. You can add text, and you can also apply Spot elevation tags to the columns over the schedule.
        Last edited by Alfredo Medina; October 17, 2011, 10:25 PM.
        Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

I agree with Alf that you should not necessarily go the AutoCad route... But thought that maybe this add-in would get you at least some of the way?: Tools4Revit | Dynamic Legend
          Klaus Munkholm
          "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
            I agree with Alf that you should not necessarily go the AutoCad route... But thought that maybe this add-in would get you at least some of the way?: Tools4Revit | Dynamic Legend
            Actually, a legend will be the no-BIM solution, because the user would be 'drafting' a 'dead schedule', instead of actually letting Revit make a live schedule that updates if the columns change. The BIM way is the GSC with parameters and tags. The only piece of information from that .pdf that is not available already is the ability to place dimensions on the GCS, but it can be covered by parameters if necessary, and maybe those diagonal lines, but that is just graphics. All the rest is already available.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Alfredo Medina; October 18, 2011, 02:11 PM.
            Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

I second Alredos solution-

Its not pretty, but the last time i implemented RST, it was:

1. The GCS live from Revit.
              2. Some carefully placed Type Tags on it.
              3. ANOTHER schedule (standard Structural Column Schedule) that listed Nested/Shared Base Plates, and height/length data.

Was it pretty? I guess not really, although id make a case that they (graphical col schedules) typically arent very pretty anyway.. But the information was there, and it wasnt a bunch of effort.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
                Actually, a legend will be the no-BIM solution, because the user would be 'drafting' a 'dead schedule', instead of actually letting Revit make a live schedule that updates if the columns change. The BIM way is the GSC with parameters and tags. The only piece of information from that .pdf that is not available already is the ability to place dimensions on the GCS, but it can be covered by parameters if necessary, and maybe those diagonal lines, but that is just graphics. All the rest is already available.
                Noticed the name of the add-in? It's NOT about dead legends, like the native Revit ones
                That said, I have no idea if it will do what the OP is after though...
                Klaus Munkholm
                "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Sweet, I never knew that existed... Why isn't that available in RAC? Or for any other elements?
                  Martijn de Riet
                  Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                  MdR Advies
                  Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thanks for your input guys - good stuff! Alfredo's reply was very similar to the advice I received from our technical support guy. I just wanted to verify what he was telling me and check to see if anyone had some great workaround to make it look the old way. I believe in doing it the BIM way. I do hope they make the GCS more customizable similar to other schedules on future releases.

Comment