Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

workplane

hi, anyone got this problem before?
    it is like this: i put in a steel column on grid, draw a reference line at 5 degree from the column, then draw a steel beam follow the reference line...make a steel portal frame. then i go to 3d view, pick the top flange as the workplane to draw roof purlin in, but sometimes the workplane is in a angle, it is still top of the flange, but the workplane's grid is not square to flange edge
    i hope i've explain clear enough?

here is an example of the rotated workplane of the portal frame
    anyone came across the same problem?

here is an image
    set the workplane to top of the flange, and it is rotated. why?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Munkholm; October 7, 2011, 07:18 AM. Reason: Ian: Merge 3 related posts to one thread - Klaus: Fixed inline Attachments

Hi Revit-New,

As with other elements within Revit, one is able to rotate a workplane. At a guess, it is possible that you may have rotated it accidentally. To put it back simply select it and use the rotate tool.

Cheers,

Ian
    Ian Kidston
    http://allextensions.com.au

Comment

I think I might understand your question

The workplane you have in the image is just a guide that can be activated in 3D view, its extents and rotation has no bearing on the actual plane as such

If you change its extents etc, it will not affect the original plane
      Revit BLOGGAGE

http://www.revic.org.au

Comment

thanks Ian.
        the workplan was rotated somehow when the two beam joined at the apex, it's like this
        1. put in the column on gird in a plan view, say level-1
        2. pick a grid plane as workplane and draw beam at slope, say 5 degree to the apex,
        3. draw the other side beam, or mirror
        4. in 3d view, pick either beam's top flange as new workplane, to draw purlins
        5. turn on the workplane, and it's rotated, so when draw purlin on this plane, the roof purlin is not square to roof beam
        i think it's because some kind of constraints or lock at the apex of the two roof rafters, or the beam analytical line? because when i draw the beam horizontal, pick the top flange workplane, it is square, while raise one end up to make the slope, pick the top flange again, the workplane rotated
        maybe somewhere about the structural setting? or something?

because i'm new, i'm not sure if this is the right step to put roof purlins in, i've tried the other way, like put the purlin in straight first, offset 10mm from the roof beam reference plane, then change the purlin cross-section rotation to roof slope, then array... it works, but i want to try workplane, don't need to change cross-section rotation at properties
        i hope i've explained this clearly enough

Comment

Originally posted by Ben-May View Post
          I think I might understand your question

The workplane you have in the image is just a guide that can be activated in 3D view, its extents and rotation has no bearing on the actual plane as such

If you change its extents etc, it will not affect the original plane
          yes, i've drag the dot to change the extents, funny thing is that sometime's the level-1 plane is rotated as well, so it ends up the grids on workplane is in angle with the elements, the thing i don't know is that it not always like this, sometimes square, sometimes not
          a setting somewhere?

Comment

This happens to me too.
            Maybe it's a feature...
            Revit Architecture 2013 Certified Professional

Comment