Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Precast Wall Questions

Hi guys,

I work for a construction company and we are currently trialling Revit Structure 2012 with the view to replacing our current ACAD 2012 LT machines. We mostly do precast walls and slab construction.

I've managed to model a part of one of a current builds (3 storey low rise) using the column, wall and slab tools which I found quite intuitive and powerful (thank you Autodesk). I've also had a crack at spliting some walls into panels and setting up an assembly for them (great feature BTW). Now I am hoping to get a little more help on some specific issues if you have the time.

I'll list them all below and if you don't mind jumping in and answering what you can that would be terrific.

- What's the best way to add grout tubes to house the lapping bars in the wall panels?
    - How do I specify the horizontal and vertical reinforcement bars in each panel/assembly?
    - I need to detail rebates for the slab connections into the walls, what's the best way to get that info onto the wall (so I can see it in the assembly sheet detail) even though the slab has 10mm clearance from the wall in the model?
    - How do I set up a wall that is 200mm thick at it's base that steps down to 150mm half way up the vertical length of the wall?
    - Whats the best way to place weld/connection plates in the model and still be able to see them in the detail for the wall panel in the assembly sheets?
    - How to I place a chamfer around individual edges of the wall panels and have this infor viewable in the assembly sheet detail?

WOW, I know it's a big list but if someone can please help I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks.

Jas

Hi Jason welcome in RFO. So here we go:

- What's the best way to add grout tubes to house the lapping bars in the wall panels?
    you have to make a specific family, based on a generic model where you can specify the category, here structural connection I guess

- How do I specify the horizontal and vertical reinforcement bars in each panel/assembly?
    you use the rebar tool, mainly sketch by hand. you should make it only in one panel per type.

- I need to detail rebates for the slab connections into the walls, what's the best way to get that info onto the wall (so I can see it in the assembly sheet detail) even though the slab has 10mm clearance from the wall in the model?
    I need a picture from you (can't get translation for rebate), but I would say according to your words a family again

- How do I set up a wall that is 200mm thick at it's base that steps down to 150mm half way up the vertical length of the wall?
    you must use in-place component, designed with forms like extrusion and sweep. set is category to wall, so that it will host rebars.

- Whats the best way to place weld/connection plates in the model and still be able to see them in the detail for the wall panel in the assembly sheets?
    put them in the assembly.

- How to I place a chamfer around individual edges of the wall panels and have this infor viewable in the assembly sheet detail?
    you create a family Generic model - line, along the line you design a void-sweep. back in the project, you put it on selected edges, then use the cut the geometry tool. (see attached)

Now, I think you owe me to see the result!!

cheers,
    Attached Files
    Julien
    "Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus!"
    P. DAC
    Follow me on Twitter @Jbenoit44 - Blog: http://aecuandme.wordpress.com/

Comment

Another precast guy! Welcome Jason!

I'm certainly not the Revit Guru Julien is....but I'm curious, is your plan to use assemblies to get your shop tickets?
      We've been fighting that process for a while now.
      Assemblies appear to be headed in the right direction but for now, it's glacially slow for us.
      Seems we're always running into one issue or another.

As to panel profiles...you can get anything you need using the tools Julien mentioned above.

Also, like Julien, I don't know what you mean by "rebates".
      I've been in precast for a very long time <sigh> (longer than most of the guys I work with have been alive) <sigh again>, never heard the term "rebates" used.

Can you clarify?
      Attached Files
      "Two possibilities exist. Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not.
      Both are equally terrifying."
      - Arthur C Clarke

Comment

Oh...one more thing.......you'll learn more here than from any book......I now use mine for door stops.
        Will likely use them for starting fires this winter.
        - Arthur C Clarke

Comment

Perhaps he meant "rabbets" as in rabbet joints?

Good thread.
          Cliff B. Collins
          Registered Architect
          The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
          Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Originally posted by cliff collins View Post
            Perhaps he meant "rabbets" as in rabbet joints?

Good thread.
            should be that. same answer as for chamfer.
            Julien
            "Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus!"
            P. DAC
            Follow me on Twitter @Jbenoit44 - Blog: http://aecuandme.wordpress.com/

Comment

WOW ... that is alot for all the tips Julien, Defiant and others it's great to know I have some new friends.

There's alot for me to take in so I'll have to go through each one at a time and try to figure out exactly how to do it all. I'll be back in touch when I have something to show.

Thanks again.

Ok I'm back now after having had a look at the pointers above and to be honest I'm really struggling with them, it's a massive mind shift to get from ACAD to Revit, you can't just 'draw lines quickly'. I've used Sketchup extensively but Revit is still very different from them both.

I've had a go at creating a new family to design a grout tube and then insert it into a custom wall that has a 200/150mm split, but I'm buggered if I can get anywhere with it.

Can anyone please point me to some video tutorials (written ones too) that is specific to any of the above please?
              Last edited by JasonWallis; September 19, 2011, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonWallis View Post
                WOW ... that is alot for all the tips Julien, Defiant and others it's great to know I have some new friends.

There's alot for me to take in so I'll have to go through each one at a time and try to figure out exactly how to do it all. I'll be back in touch when I have something to show.

Thanks again.

Ok I'm back now after having had a look at the pointers above and to be honest I'm really struggling with them, it's a massive mind shift to get from ACAD to Revit, you can't just 'draw lines quickly'. I've used Sketchup extensively but Revit is still very different from them both.

I've had a go at creating a new family to design a grout tube and then insert it into a custom wall that has a 200/150mm split, but I'm buggered if I can get anywhere with it.

Can anyone please point me to some video tutorials (written ones too) that is specific to any of the above please?
                Do you need to show the actual tube?
                For me/us, we just model/show a void X diameter by X length. The actual tube detail is taken care of in the shop ticket. Even then it's quite generic. Our concern is with the correct size and location....I couldn't care less what the tube really looks like.

As to video's/tutorials....good luck.
                I've yet to find anything regarding Revit that's specific to precast.
                (If you do run across something, please share)
                - Arthur C Clarke

Comment

Ahhhh of course, great idea about the void. Thanks Defiant.

I've had a little more of a play with the assemblies and I'm not sure if I am using them the way they should be. Basically I am creating an 'assembly' for every single wall panel (up to 100 per floor). That way I can get my sheet and create the detail that i need for each panel. There does not seem to be a way to select ALL the panels for a floor, create one assembly for them all and then create individual details for each panel. Is this the way you do it mate? Also would you use the 'Parts' feature at all for precast panels?

Comment

Originally posted by JasonWallis View Post
                    Ahhhh of course, great idea about the void. Thanks Defiant.

I've had a little more of a play with the assemblies and I'm not sure if I am using them the way they should be. Basically I am creating an 'assembly' for every single wall panel (up to 100 per floor). That way I can get my sheet and create the detail that i need for each panel. There does not seem to be a way to select ALL the panels for a floor, create one assembly for them all and then create individual details for each panel. Is this the way you do it mate? Also would you use the 'Parts' feature at all for precast panels?

Oh man....Assemblies are (currently) a real pain.
                    If you're doing an assembly for every panel, what is your plan for duplicate panels? Unless you plan on doing a shop ticket per piece.
                    Most often, we will have multiple pieces that are exact duplicates. I'm currently doing a 10 storey with a lot of repetition ( a blessing in it's own right).

My approach is to panelize the entire thing, then I go to a single bay (grid to grid) and once I'm convinced the connections/slab/etc are the same all the way up, I'll make a single assembly (typically I'll go to the second floor and work up...or whichever floor starts the "typical stuff")...get all my hardware and such in place...delete whatever I have in THAT bay thats on the floors above and then copy and "align to selected levels". I then go to the next bay...if it's the exact same - I'll select all the assemblies I just placed and copy them over. Once I've "replaced" my earlier panels with the assemblies, I can then pan across (in wireframe) and "see" that all the connections are correct relative to the structure. If I find one where something's different (smaller column, slab depression, etc) I'll DIS-assemble that single piece, rearrange and/or replace the hardware and make a new assembly for THAT location.

Getting the shop tickets from the assemblies is where we run into most issues. With similar pieces, we have the same details and we've found you cannot place the same detail on different sheets. (If anyone reading this has a suggestion/solution, I'd like to hear it.)
                    Admittedly, we're just beginning our "tickets from assemblies" process so we're still very green. I'd love to come back here tomorrow and read "hey you're going about it all wrong - and then go into explaining a better workflow.

We haven't done anything with "parts"....gotta crawl before ya walk.
                    Last edited by Defiant1; September 20, 2011, 04:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
                    - Arthur C Clarke

Comment