Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Newbie in Revit Structure...

Hi Guys!

i'm starting to learn revit structure. i'm a former revit architecture user. (since late 2008). i'm familiar with worksharing, parametric families, etc. However, my new job requires me to know also revit Structure and MEPS, and i haven't even tried doing it.

My questions are...

1. If you're using a central file in Revit Architecture, how would you use it in Revit Structure?
    1.1 Is it ok to just link the central file? (i think this is suitable for revit MEPS?)
    2. if for example you use the file you have in Revit Architecture, where would you change the structural entity? (there is a structural entities in revit architecture also)
    3. how would you do the details in Revit Structure? i'm thinking i could insert the autocad details and just link it on structural objects. hehe!

sorry for these questions, i'm very eager to learn Revit structure and meps. and i'm having difficulties in learning it just by myself.

I cant speak for MEP but I can for RST.

In our office we always keep the RST model and RAC model separate. The big reason is graphic standards. We link the RAC model and use linked views to display the RAC model in the RST drawings. All the structure modeling is done in the RST model.

We use Revit for detailing (Drafing Views) However you can use linked DWG for detailing... This will bloat your file size and just isn't best practice. It would be good to try and redraw the detail within your Revit project.
    -Alex Cunningham

Comment

I'm not too much of an expert in RST, but:

1. Why not create a local file using RST? As far as I know a RST user can also participate in the worksharing...
      2. Same answer as nr.1. I wouldn't use linked files if it can be avoided. Disadvantages are numerous and not easily handled (for instance, hosted elements on linked floors/walls, coordination between different files, and so on)
      3. Using Revit detailling options OR in Autocad / Autocad Structural Detailing. NOT with linked dwg's in Revit. That will slow your model down and have no intelligence whatsoever.
      Last edited by mdradvies; September 15, 2011, 02:33 PM.
      Martijn de Riet
      Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
      MdR Advies
      Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Raigoki View Post
        Hi Guys!

i'm starting to learn revit structure. i'm a former revit architecture user. (since late 2008). i'm familiar with worksharing, parametric families, etc. However, my new job requires me to know also revit Structure and MEPS, and i haven't even tried doing it.

My questions are...

1. If you're using a central file in Revit Architecture, how would you use it in Revit Structure?
        1.1 Is it ok to just link the central file? (i think this is suitable for revit MEPS?)
        2. if for example you use the file you have in Revit Architecture, where would you change the structural entity? (there is a structural entities in revit architecture also)
        3. how would you do the details in Revit Structure? i'm thinking i could insert the autocad details and just link it on structural objects. hehe!

sorry for these questions, i'm very eager to learn Revit structure and meps. and i'm having difficulties in learning it just by myself.
        Welcome to RST!

I'm a RST user who works in an Architectural firm. The architects keep their model; we (structural) keep our model. We then link the two models together.

The architects may put in place-holder columns and maybe some other framing items to show intent and get a general idea of floor depths, only to be taken out of their model later once the Structural is linked.

Worksharing in RST works the same as worksharing in RAC. We have a small structural group, so we do worksharing, but we don't break it down into anything more than the default worksets. If we need an item that someone else has borrowed, we just yell over our cube walls, "Please synch."

If you have a lot of standard details (in ACAD) that you'll be using often, it will be to your benefit to start transitioning them into RST. It can take a while. Create a Revit library to keep them all. If you're in a rush with your first RST project, you could link the details (do not insert them or explode them... this will cause a lot of trash and headaches.) Then as you have time, transition those details into drafting views in your RST library and replace the links in your project with the RST drafting views from your library.

Otherwise, as far as detailing in RST, I don't see how detailing live sections would be any different from way you should be used to from RAC.

Good Luck.
        Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
        AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
        ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

Comment