Whats the Best Way to Get Column Tonnage in RVT 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the Best Way to Get Column Tonnage in RVT 2017

I have moved to RVT 2017, I have managed to create a shared parameter for Tonnage on the Steel Framing Families. However how do you go about getting out a Column Tonnage when there is no Length Properties or Steel Weight Properties in the structural column family,

What is the best method to get Total tonnages for Structural Columns??

Just because "Length" does not appear in the instance properties does not mean it's not schedulable (yes, I know that's not a word). When creating a structural column schedule, Length should be in the list of available fields. The weight should be listed as "W". This information can be found in the type properties of steel columns.

Attached Files
    Tony Perez @Twitter
    Senior Structural Designer
    Tesla Gigafactory - Austin

Comment

You could use the Volume parameter, which is available in the schedule of structural columns. Then, add a parameter for density of the steel. Then, create a calculated value that multiplies the volume times the density and gives the result in metric tons (for example). There is no need to add parameters to the families.
      Attached Files
      Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

In 2017 I am using material takeoffs. I use Material: Volume and Material: Unit Weight (aka density) and calculated values for weight and tonnage. This way you don't have to continuously maintain shared parameters in families and add it anytime you create a new family, etc.

It is really only one schedule needed, and you can modify/copy it for whatever you need:

Filter by "Material: Name" to make it either a steel tonnage or concrete takeoff. Filter by category to isolate columns versus framing, etc.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by gatoVirtute; October 19, 2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment